Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
New to Country Coach

Hello everyone, I have just bought my first CC and love it. Its a 1989 Country Coach Concept. It has 70000 miles and the inside looks untouched. Everything seems original and has been well cared for. I picked it up in Southern California and drove it home to Fort McMurray Alberta on its first drive. It was a tough drive with a heat wave going on in that area with temps of 120 f plus. I had to shut it down once between LA and Vegas as it was running to hot for my liking. I am slowly figuring out how to work everything in the bus. There is lots to learn. I was so happy to find this forum and as I read through it everyone seems so helpful. I will have lots of things to ask and hope I can find some answers here.

My one concern right now is the charging system. I put a meter on the chassis batteries and on idle its only showing just over 12v. Once I bring the rpm up around 1300 it shows 13.6 v Is this normal ? When I check the Batt cont. switch in the cab its showing me 12v sitting in my driveway when not running. Does this all sound normal?

Here are a couple pictures of the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1159.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	131847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0994.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	131848  

Name:	IMG_1024.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	131849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1018.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	131850  

Name:	IMG_1023.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	131851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1021.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	131852  

Bootjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
WOW! That thing is clean!

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
and absolutely cool looking!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
I spoke with a generator/alternator service tech with the same concern regarding my charging system. He said anything under 14.0v should not be a concern.
Affinityfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Those are normal charging numbers for your coach. I have the 36' version Concept and the alternator doesn't produce much current until above idle.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Anteres
2002 VW Passat on Kar Kaddy SS
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Music To My Ears

My wife and I have an 1986 CC 38. Love the retro thing. Isn't the wood work just gorgeous? Take care of it and it will last. I would recommend you check the belt tension for your charging issue. And use the pound tension method, not your hand, a board or anything else. They make tools for it.

What engine do you have in your rig? For example I have the CAT 3208T 250 HP, which was the exact engine setup I wanted, but they phased out toward the end of the decade. Do you have the Detroit 6V92? They also made a 350HP version of the CAT. That tended to blow out the rings if you are not careful prior to a rebuild. CAT fixed the problem, but not on the first go around.

For CAT here is the belt tension check
CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT - Wanderlodge Owners Group

For the 6V92 I didn't find a quick applicable guide but you should be able to google your way into finding a process. Note: Some the Detroit engines have a valve controlled belt tensioner that gets stuck and causes overheating at high speeds.

If you have a different engine setup follow their procedure. Everyone has one. CC recommended on my coach that the alternator be rebuilt almost yearly, and I have the original manual that describes the process of how to...(so they were serious about it)...I am not certain it has to be that often, but we will see. It should produce 14 V. If you test it at the alternator and then check you batteries you can trace any drop off.

Also, do you use the six volt batteries, or did you convert to 12's for the house batteries? Neither is a problem, it's just the setup can influence the charging on the go-if your house batteries are not getting enough current.

What was your gauge reading for water temp, oil pressure, and oil temp when you became concerned? Do you have a AT temp gauge? I don't on my mine due to its age, which isn't a problem for me. Do you have a belt driven fan on your rig?

You need to watch for lugging if you are not used to these vehicles? If you are experienced with these rigs excuse the comment. That will heat up things rather quickly. Also, have you tested your coolant unless you have the ELC type?

After these checks overheating goes very diesel and weird for the average guy, but certainly fixable and fun to learn about.

Enjoy your coach. It's a looker.

From The Road
1986CC38 is offline   Reply With Quote