Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookum View Post
when your Silverleaf monitor is reading 1.5 mpg as you climb, it takes a strong stomach and a solid portfolio to keep chugging along.
Norbert
What does that silverleaf report on the downgrade side??

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Mine will get around 128mpg on the down side
2 stroker

2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
It only goes to 20mpg on the downhill side. It doesn't want me to get my hopes up.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #18
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
That's not very good mileage at all. Even our ISX gets better, so far it's lifetime average is 7.6
I can say the same about my ISX 600. Mine is pre-07 Emission, if that makes any difference. I was pleasantly surprised to see my MPG is much better than a 350 hp CAT, 400 hp ISL Cummins, and 500 hp ISM!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I can say the same about my ISX 600. Mine is pre-07 Emission, if that makes any difference. I was pleasantly surprised to see my MPG is much better than a 350 hp CAT, 400 hp ISL Cummins, and 500 hp ISM!
Big engine turning slow and light throttle at normal cruise speeds.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #20

Ward Family - We have owned our Country Coach since Nov 2009. I spent months and months studying all the available "recommenders" and reviewers I could find and at the time It looked to me that Country Coach and Foretravel were high up in the level of quality and performance. There were lots more Country Coaches to look at in San Diego than Foretravels so we drove a bunch of CC's and no FT.

There were several other brands that we liked such as Beaver, Travel Supreme, American Coach, and Alpine. But Country Coach seemed to have consistent good engineering, component quality, assembly, and ease of service and parts. I called a couple of Motorhome repair people I knew and asked for their comments. CC got very favorable reviews from those that fix them.

We saw several Intrigues that we liked a lot. But we just both fell in love with the exterior and interior floor plan, colors, and materials in the Affinity we bought. And when I drove our coach it was just rock solid on the freeway. I thought it drove like a locomotive on rails. That sold me.

Previously we had owned fairly large sail boats (Herrishoff 45' Cat ketch). Before we bought our last boat we had it thoroughly examined by a yacht surveyor. He missed lots of things we had to fix later. So when we bought the Country Coach I made sure it came with the best extended warranty plan I could find. That way when something broke most of it would be paid for by someone else. This worked out quite well. Several posters in this thread have talked about having a technical inspection. That sounds like a great idea, but competent insurance lets you sleep well at night. That technical guy will be long gone when you break down. This is just my humble opinion.

Intrigues are great coaches. Some of the ones we looked at were stunning inside. When you go up from an Intrigue when happens is that you get a few more high end things and many of the things that are options on the Intrigue are standard on the Magna or the Affinity.

As far as fixing there are lots of people that can help you. We have had a lot of our work done at the Country Coach factory in Oregon. They still operate in the same factory that built the 2006 Intrigue. Ron Lee still owns CC. They are starting to build new ones again. You will be able to get most of your work done in the Chicago area or you could drive over to Indiana where many RVs are built today. Even if you do not go to Oregon to get work or upgrades done on your coach the factory is there for parts and help. I have used them many times. Their prices on parts is very fair.

Our coach averages between 7-8 mpg. Sure going up hills eats fuel, but going down makes up for it.

On the particular coach you mention you might check the windows. That was when they started putting in flush windows. Some of the flush windows were problems and had to be replaced. We have a CAT C12 motor with 505 hp. That is a very good motor. The 525 CAT is likely a C13. You might check to see if it is one of the ACERT CAT motors. If yes, then you need to make sure it is checked by a competent CAT dealer that it is running properly. Some of the early ACERTS had issues.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that the RVCG sells ratings of nearly all motorhomes by year and model. Getting their report will give you additional information.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #21
srh

Monaco Owners Club
I'm no authority when it comes to CCs as B Bob and some of the others are. I have, however, owned three different Class A's. Like, B Bob, I did some research on CCs before I got mine and reading comments and opinions from people like B Bob I was convinced that my next coach (what I currently own) would be a CC. There is no doubt that the built quality of the CCs and the attention to the details like having an engine oil reservoir with a pump speak for it. Not to mention the quality of cabinets, tile floor, bay doors are but only a few examples.
I recently took the rear mud flap off and replaced the rubber not that it was torn or anything, but I just wanted to have fresh background for the letters and the CC emblem. I was so impressed by how solidly it is constructed. I have replaced this on some of my other coaches, but they weren't nearly as well made as my Affinity.

Good luck with your search!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Good coach model, and I agree with the Allure and Intrigue being a good bang for the buck in the CC line up. The Allure gets you up to many of the same base items of the upper end coaches, minus many of the fancier systems, materials. They also cap out with the mid size engines CAT C9 or Cummins ISL, depending upon year. Good quality of wood work. (And to be clear, the Tribute and Inspire are also fine coaches, with normal attention to detail from CC. They are targeted to a different purchase entry point, and the components show this. For example most Tributes (I think all actually.) and Inspires (I think the Founders Addition is an exception.) do not have Hydro/Aqua Hot systems. And that is OK, as owners know that when purchasing.

The Intrigue typically came stock with the ISL (Don't recall seeing a C9 in them?), but could also be had with the BIG BLOCK CAT - and IMO, that is nice combo!

Inspection, oil samples, as mentioned. Age of tires, house and chassis battery should be factored into the price. If from a private seller, having solid documentation of care, is worth paying up for with a higher price. If the seller, private or dealer, does not have documentation. Then pretend it has not been done. Plan on going thru a full service. Fluids, flushes, belts, hoses, air brake cartridge, Hydro/Aqua Hot service, Generator service, etc., etc... This can be quite a bit of coin, but it gives you a solid baseline to know where you are in the service cycle. And, should give some peace of mind when traveling.

The inspection process should reveal any other problems that may need attention. Then, it's a matter of doing the math of what it may take to get caught up on maintenance, if any any, and determine the proper price point to offer.

IMO, it is a good coach in general. And, it is worth paying up for a well cared for with good documentation coach.

Best to you,
Smitty

Just for the record our 2007 Inspire has an Aqua Hot and a Cummins ISL 400. Both were an option but they are around. Also the Cummins is a fine engine too it's just that beginning with engines manufactured in 2007 and later all over-the-road diesels had to change their EPA smog equipment and require DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). I believe this is when CAT decided to no longer produce engines for over-the-road. But I could be mistaken.

As others have mentioned Country Coach didn't make any bad coaches. We are very happy with our Inspire even though some of the bells and whistles are missing.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
Just for the record our 2007 Inspire has an Aqua Hot and a Cummins ISL 400. Both were an option but they are around. Also the Cummins is a fine engine too it's just that beginning with engines manufactured in 2007 and later all over-the-road diesels had to change their EPA smog equipment and require DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). I believe this is when CAT decided to no longer produce engines for over-the-road. But I could be mistaken.

As others have mentioned Country Coach didn't make any bad coaches. We are very happy with our Inspire even though some of the bells and whistles are missing.
Barney - Thanks for pointing this out. Many CC models shifted over the years, for sure content blurred. I walked thru what I recall as being a 43' Founders Addition Inspire. Tag, Cummins ISL425, etc., etc. - on a 10 minute walk thru, it was quite impressive a CC.

So for sure, year of manufacturing, really can make a difference in coach model content.

Steve Wilson, whom I miss talking with, was well respected for his knowledge as a 'Coach' salesman. (I forgave him when he told that he would personally go for a 43' LXI Wanderlodge, once he won the Lotto!). Steve pointed out that over the years the models could overlap quite a bit based upon options. Where as he put it, my Allure model could overlap up into the Intrigue model, based upon options. Even more so, after National took over.

I've a few models of CC's I have not yet been in. I have seen the outside of a Tribute, but not been inside. And, I have not been inside the Prevost Country Coaches yet. I've been in, under, thru, on top of many, many Inspires, Allures, Intrigues, Magna's, Affinity, Lexa (And saw the outside of the Rhapsody, sitting one space away from Lexa.) I also really liked going thru a few Concepts, they still seem to grab me!

As with good wines, just too many great coaches to be able to enjoy them all!!!

Best to all,
Smitty