Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #1

New to site need facts on purchasing used Country Coach

Our family is new to rving and we are looking at purchasing a 2006 country Coach intrigue 45' with the 525 cat. Do you recommend these coaches? What are some of the things I need to consider when looking at it. How easy is it to get replacement parts later in its life.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cliff
Ward family is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Cliff,
Aside from the layout which mainly depends on your likes and dislikes I would strongly suggest having it inspected by a professional. Depending upon your location and the inspection type it could cost you from a fewof hundred to 7 or 8 hundred dollars and money well spent, in my opinion. A CC Intrigue is a nice coach, but an inspection of the chassis side as as well as the house side would be very critical.
Good luck with your search and selection!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
The condition is the only question re a CC Intrigue if the power, layout, and features meet your needs.

JMHO
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The CAT should be a good powerplant. From personal experience I say to stay away from the '07 EPA Cummins ISX 650 and the 600. They are prone to breaking a valve off in #6 cyl.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

Seeing as how you are new to the rv world, I'll say that you will probably be overwhelmed with the complexity of the coach. In the old days, you ran a couple of wires from the battery to a switch and then to the light bulb. Now days lights are controlled digitally and the system is a little more complex. Luckily, the systems are reliable and there are no problems. Don't let any of this scare you as learning is part of the fun.

The coach should have 2 to 3 binders of schematics and drawings along with a file box of component manuals of everything installed in the coach. Make sure you get that as 99% of the problems can be solved with that info.

Getting parts is no problem. There are a couple of companies that specialize in CCs and they do give good service. There are some excellent techs that worked for the old CC company that have started their own businesses and can get any special part needed. Their service is also excellent. Once you acquire the coach, come back and some of can fill you in on service options. You didn't say where you are based so we have no idea on who to recommend.

The Allure and Intrigue represent the best bang for the buck in the CC line. You will enjoy the coach.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:35 PM   #6

I thought of doing just that as it has been a while since I have been around diesels. I did not realize that the inspection would be that costly. Maybe my wife is right that I still live in the 70's.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #7

Also handy to know because I've always been partial to the cummins.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2015, 11:40 PM   #8

Dons. Thanks for the feedback. That's what I'm afraid of is what I don't know but it just seems wiser to jump in with both feet in to the diesel pusher rather than a gas that is a pig in the mountains. We live in the far west Chicago suburbs. Thanks for your insight.

Cliff
Old 10-07-2015, 12:23 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957 so RV's aren't new to me but this rig of ours is a very complex rig!
Burned out a fuse replacing a map light with an LED. After hours of searching and looking at the wiring diagrams I finally found one copy of a copy that was blurry and was able to find the fuse in a cabinet in the closet, some 40' away from the bulb. And no one so far has been able to figure out why the inside generator switches or auto start don't work. Silverleaf tech says the best thing to do is run new wire and forget the start switch in the bedroom and just rely on the Silverleaf VMS.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward family View Post
Our family is new to rving and we are looking at purchasing a 2006 country Coach intrigue 45' with the 525 cat. Do you recommend these coaches? What are some of the things I need to consider when looking at it. How easy is it to get replacement parts later in its life.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cliff
Check the radiator and the PTO
Steve n Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #11

Good coach model, and I agree with the Allure and Intrigue being a good bang for the buck in the CC line up. The Allure gets you up to many of the same base items of the upper end coaches, minus many of the fancier systems, materials. They also cap out with the mid size engines CAT C9 or Cummins ISL, depending upon year. Good quality of wood work. (And to be clear, the Tribute and Inspire are also fine coaches, with normal attention to detail from CC. They are targeted to a different purchase entry point, and the components show this. For example most Tributes (I think all actually.) and Inspires (I think the Founders Addition is an exception.) do not have Hydro/Aqua Hot systems. And that is OK, as owners know that when purchasing.

The Intrigue typically came stock with the ISL (Don't recall seeing a C9 in them?), but could also be had with the BIG BLOCK CAT - and IMO, that is nice combo!

Inspection, oil samples, as mentioned. Age of tires, house and chassis battery should be factored into the price. If from a private seller, having solid documentation of care, is worth paying up for with a higher price. If the seller, private or dealer, does not have documentation. Then pretend it has not been done. Plan on going thru a full service. Fluids, flushes, belts, hoses, air brake cartridge, Hydro/Aqua Hot service, Generator service, etc., etc... This can be quite a bit of coin, but it gives you a solid baseline to know where you are in the service cycle. And, should give some peace of mind when traveling.

The inspection process should reveal any other problems that may need attention. Then, it's a matter of doing the math of what it may take to get caught up on maintenance, if any any, and determine the proper price point to offer.

IMO, it is a good coach in general. And, it is worth paying up for a well cared for with good documentation coach.

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward family View Post
Dons. Thanks for the feedback. That's what I'm afraid of is what I don't know but it just seems wiser to jump in with both feet in to the diesel pusher rather than a gas that is a pig in the mountains. We live in the far west Chicago suburbs. Thanks for your insight.

Cliff
My Friend, I'm glad to see that you are jumping in with both feet because those gas pig's have nothing on those diesel pig's. Our 525Cat Intrigue is slower up any mtn than most gas rigs and when your Silverleaf monitor is reading 1.5 mpg as you climb, it takes a strong stomach and a solid portfolio to keep chugging along. I average 5.8mpg on most trips and when I hit 6.8 on some flat trips, I even get excited and want to go further.

Ours is a 42' and it is a handfull. A 45' is a wee bit heavier and takes up even more real estate.
Norbert
Hookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You are considering a very fine coach. Good luck!
FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookum View Post
My Friend, I'm glad to see that you are jumping in with both feet because those gas pig's have nothing on those diesel pig's. Our 525Cat Intrigue is slower up any mtn than most gas rigs and when your Silverleaf monitor is reading 1.5 mpg as you climb, it takes a strong stomach and a solid portfolio to keep chugging along. I average 5.8mpg on most trips and when I hit 6.8 on some flat trips, I even get excited and want to go further.

Ours is a 42' and it is a handfull. A 45' is a wee bit heavier and takes up even more real estate.
Norbert
That's not very good mileage at all. Even our ISX gets better, so far it's lifetime average is 7.6