Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #57

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Now that ya'll got the spellin right,how bout somebody postin the air bag part numbers.
Doyle
1999 Intrigue 10716

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackpeteno View Post
Now that ya'll got the spellin right,how bout somebody postin the air bag part numbers.
Doyle
1999 Intrigue 10716
If you have a Gillig chassis I can give you the bag part numbers but if you have a DynoMax I can't help.

Suspension Air Bag Check

Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #59

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ok thanks Motorhead.I guess i'll just pull them off
Mine is a Dynomax
Doyle,1999 Intrigue 10716
Old 06-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #60

mine is 16 years old. i'll place this on my to-do list. it's not a hard job so any hd chassis mechanic should be able to do it. hd jackstands are required.

the good thing is - in case on the road you lose the airbag, you can still slowly drive the rig until get to a service facility, there will be no damage to the rig. but i'd do it at the time and shop i choose.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #61

"the good thing is - in case on the road you lose the airbag, you can still slowly drive the rig until get to a service facility, there will be no damage to the rig. but i'd do it at the time and shop i choose."

Our '97 Intrigue had a front leveling valve fail. The LF fenderwell dropped onto the tire. We could not move anywhere.
I believe an air spring that failed could lead to the same issue, the coach sitting on the tire.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #62
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
I believe an air spring that failed could lead to the same issue, the coach sitting on the tire.
I think you're right. When my rear air bags are fully dumped, there is a steel tubing piece (that I'm assuming is part of the Dynomax frame structure) that is sitting right on the rear tire. I haven't looked at the front yet (haven't parked it with the front uphill yet).
1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #63
DTS

Had a few "firsts" with the Intrigue this past weekend. My wife and I took it up to Big Bear Forest Fest, a work-related trip for me in my job in the Jeep aftermarket industry.

First multi-night stay. We've used it 3 times before this trip, all just one-night shake down runs to either the local Moose lodge or our friend's farm a few miles from the house. This time we stayed i it 3 nights

First time towing. I've towed a lot, but this was the first time towing with the Intrigue. I got an education in tow bars and flat-towed the Jeep behind it (most of my towing experience has been with trailers).

First mountain driving. I was really looking forward to seeing how the MH handles the grades. I have to say I was very pleased. The event was only 29 miles from my house, but almost all of it going up Hwy 330 from San Bernardino to Running Springs. Some of you may be familiar with that road, from Highland to Running Springs it climbs from 1300' to 6100' in only 16 miles. Towing the Jeep it could still do about 35 in the steepest sections. I did pull over once about 2/3 of the way up to let it cool down, as it got warm enough to illuminate the warning light on the temperature gauge. Let it idle for about 5 minutes until the light went out, then finished the run. Coming down the hill I was even more impressed with it. I don't have auxiliary braking set up in the Jeep so I kept a slow and steady pace, manually shifting between 2nd and 3rd for most of the descent, letting the exhaust brake do most of the work. Hardly had to use the service brakes at all. Overall I was very impressed with how this thing handles the grades, even with a fairly heavy vehicle in tow.

Dumped the tanks for the first time. For someone who just moved up from an enclosed car trailer with living quarters, that was quite an improvement in convenience and cleanliness. The layout of the wet bay is great, and the black tank flush inlet was much better than my old procedure of snaking a hose through the window to the toilet LOL...

Topped off the propane tank for the first time. Only needed 5 gallons, as it came with a full tank when I bought it. We've only been on a few short trips but we use the outdoor gas grill a lot, the furnace a couple times at night on this last trip in the mountains, probably about 10 hot showers and the fridge. I think at our usage rate we could probably get almost a year out of that huge LPG tank.

Fueled up for the first time. The dealer I bought it from filled the diesel tank when I took delivery. I was beginning to think the fuel gauge might be broken since it never seemed to dip under 3/4 tank. I even had a bonehead moment when the generator didn't want to start, I assumed the fuel level had dipped below the gennie's pickup tube, which I've heard is at a 1/4 tank. So I put 5 gallons of diesel in it and the generator fired up, so I assumed I only had a 1/4 tank of fuel and that my gauge or sender must be broken. Well lo and behold when I went to fill it, it only took about 28 gallons, and the gauge now reads full. I'm glad my gauge works, and I'm surprised at how little fuel I've used on the trips we've taken so far (all of them admittedly very short), but I guess I need to figure out why the generator was hard to start that time.

Sorry if this is all boring stuff for most of you veterans! I just figured I'd keep this post going as sort of a journal as I get more familiar with this thing.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #64

i posted this on another thread... our 2000 with dynomax chassis does allow to drive when an air spring fails. i am reposting the page from my chassis manual here:

bottom line: gillig and dynomax are different animals, though similar; check your manual to make sure...
Old 06-23-2016, 11:42 AM   #65

Note it says you can travel several miles, < 35 MPH.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #66

Good job! It got a little warm because you were at altitude ( thinner air, carries less heat out of radiator). At 11000 ft (Eisenhower Pass in CO) I downshift and spin the engine at 2000 rpm , and get out of turbo a bit. That keeps it cool, I never exceed 205F climbing long steep hills at altitude. Another thing to watch climbing at altitude is your radiator cap. If it is old or weak you may spit a little coolant from drain hose on the charge tank. A little is probably ok, if a lot, replace the cap.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #67
DTS

Thanks for the tips greg4444! I'll keep those in mind. Heading back up to Big Bear with it in a couple weeks
Old 06-24-2016, 12:57 PM   #68

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Nice looking rig Dusty and welcome to Country Coach Group. I had a leveling valve fail on a trip which put it down on the rubber stop but this was in an 05 Inspire and I checked with Country Coach and they assured me that it was ok to drive slowly to a truck service facility. Couple of hours later I was good to go.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #69

Nice too know I can drive my rig up the 330 if I need too! I've got same rig as you and was told tank for diesel is 120 gallons. My gauge also reads full for a long time before dropping. I don't rely on it, I just fill when it's around the 1/2 mark... I'm thinking we could both go up the 18 if needed. Some blind corners and rock outcropping really need to be watched if you go up that way!

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 07-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #70
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Nice too know I can drive my rig up the 330 if I need too! I've got same rig as you and was told tank for diesel is 120 gallons. My gauge also reads full for a long time before dropping. I don't rely on it, I just fill when it's around the 1/2 mark... I'm thinking we could both go up the 18 if needed. Some blind corners and rock outcropping really need to be watched if you go up that way!
I would highly advise against 18. The steep part is short but VERY steep, at 16% its the most ridiculous grade I've ever seen posted. And the switchbacks are very tight, hairpin turns. Besides, for me that's all the way around the other side of the mountain.

This past weekend I went up to Big Bear again, this time on the 38, which I've always preferred anyhow. Much more pleasant drive than 330. We were at the Early Bronco Registry's event marking the 50th anniversary of the Bronco. The Country Coach made a nice center of activities for my little sub-group of So Cal Broncos buddies.

All hooked up before leaving the house...

I'm taking it in to Colton Truck Terminal tomorrow morning for a thorough inspection. I've now had two mountain trips on it plus a few shorter jaunts close to home.