Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #71

Country Coach Owners Club
OK, if you have a ride valve failure, it is possible to get the coach to ride height, pull a fuse and the coach will stay at ride height. This has to be done while the coach is running, in park, brake set and use the buttons to get the coach to ride height. Then pull the correct fuse and you are all good to go.

Sorry, I don't remember which fuse to pull but it is probably a different number than on my coach. You can pull the one on the HWH brain behind the panel in front of the pax seat or there is one in the panel below the driver's compartment..

Been there, done that.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #72
DTS

This morning I dropped off my Intrigue at Colton Truck Terminal Garage, as I had mentioned I was going to do. Ed was my service writer and he was very helpful. Although I've been on a couple of local trips already, I'm having them give it a thorough inspection before leaving on a long distance trip at the end of this month.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Based on the glowing reviews I've seen in this thread and forum, I'm sure they'll do a great job on it. BTW, there were a lot of very nice coaches in there for service, not to mention that fire engine. The 2010 Magna 630 made my little Intrigue look like a junker LOL...

1998 Country Coach 40' Intrigue #10544
DTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:08 AM   #73

I'm going in next week for some work. Ed is a good guy, he will take care of you!

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 07-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #74
DTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTS View Post
This morning I dropped off my Intrigue at Colton Truck Terminal Garage...I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Got an email with a list of issues:

Quote:
Hello Dustin, here are some things we noticed on the coach
-r/r leveling rod bent and valve leaks
-ride height needs to be set
-rear airbags are starting to dry rot
-air filter restriction gauge has moved up near the red
-left rear shock leaks
-both rear wheel seals are starting to leak but no oil is on the brake shoes at this time
-undercarriage needs steam clean
-a/c system has no freon
**SUGGESTED MAINTENANCE IN THE FUTURE**
-MHS
-TRANS SERVICE
-HYDRAULIC SERVICE
-AIR DRYER SERVICE
Thankfully that all seems fairly minor. I'm waiting on the quote to see what its going to cost
Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #75

The list you show doesn't look bad considering the age of the coach. Sure,, some of it was due to poor maintenance but for the most part, all is fixable relatively cheap.

I used Colton when we lived in CA. Had reason a few years ago to get towed in and Ed walked out and said "Hi Don, haven't seen you in 5 years". That sure shocked me, just goes to show they remember their customers
Old 07-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #76

I would not think twice about do in the seals. Once it gets on the pads your looking at all new shoes.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #77
DTS

I forgot to post a follow-up on the work I had done at Colton Truck Terminal so here goes. I picked it up last week, they had it a little longer than expected because I kept having them do additional things.

Here's what they did:
  • Complete Chassis Inspection.
  • Steering check and adjustment. I'd been noticing a slight "pull" in the steering. I had also noticed a faint clunking in the front end on hard braking. Turns out the two were related. They found a loose u-bolt on the front axle. Replaced and tightened those, and the steering was a little better. Next they adjusted the Steer-Safe unit and now it drives oh so nice.
  • Generator inspection and service. Turned out all it needed was fluids topped off.
  • Tracked Down Hot Temp Issue. The gauge had been reading hot on the couple of trips I've done in it so far. The gauge on these kinda sucks because it has hashes at 180 then 240, with none in between. So its hard to tell exactly how hot it is. Well, mine had been hovering close to that 240 mark, even shortly after startup. It seldom moved up or down from there, and I was able to keep the trouble light from illuminating on my last mountain trip by judicious shifting. I had stopped a couple of times during my last trip to do a visual and audible inspection back at the engine and cooling pack, and there was no visible steaming or hissing sounds when the gauge was reading that high, so I suspected the gauge or sender might be faulty. Turns out that was correct, they ended up replacing both the sender and the gauge and now it seems to run in the correct temp range even in this triple digit heat here in So Cal.
  • Fixed Dash Air Conditioner. They had to replace the schraeder valve in the service port, as it was bad and had leaked out all the Freon. Replaced DYE cartridge and re-charged the Freon. It works now and blows cool--I won't say it's actually "cold", but it was pulling in 110-degree ambient air on the drive home so its probably working to spec.
  • Fixed leveling system. Turns out I had a bent leveling rod. They replaced it and found out the leveling valve on that corner was leaking, so replaced that too. Set correct ride height.
  • Replaced air filter. I probably could have done this myself but figured what the hell, they'd do it 10X quicker.
  • Steam cleaned under-carriage. They suggested this and I readily agreed. I'm a big believer in keeping the underside clean so you can more readily spot new problems. And it only cost a half hour of labor.
  • Motorhome Chassis Service. This is a standard service package they recommend if you're not sure about the coach's service history. It pretty much covered all fluids and lubes, and checking all service points for issues or wear.
  • Installed Tow Electrical Plug. The coach had a 6-pin round trailer plug on it but my trailers and my flat-tow umbilical, plus my pickup's tow plug, are set up with the big 7-blade round connector, so I had them install a receptacle for that.
Items they suggest be addressed in the future (but were not critical to do before I leave for a trip later this week--they said these could wait until I return, or longer on some of them):
  • Air Dryer service/valve rebuild
  • Replace front and rear airbags
  • Replace left-rear shock (small leak)
  • Service axle seals
  • Replace CAC
  • Service Transmission
  • Service Hydraulic System
  • Service Cooling System
  • Adjust Valves
They also said I have a small Charge Air Cooler leak that will need to be addressed fairly soon. I've read a little bit about that here on the forum. The labor on replacing the CAC is estimated at 16 hours so I might tackle that one myself. Ed at CTTG was encouraging, he said it wasn't that complicated a job for a DIY'er, just time consuming. In fact I'm looking at that list above and wondering how much else that's on it I can do myself. That $120/hr adds up quick! BTW anyone who has experience in DIY R&R of the CAC, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also any sources for replacement units or shops that can repair them. Ed said they keep the one I need in stock, its about $1,900. They don't fix them, they replace them. But I'd be interested in hearing any recommendations for shops that can re-core or fix these things without shelling out for a new one.

Overall my wife and I were quite pleased with the service and professionalism at CTTG. While I'm a decent wrench myself and probably could have done some of those myself, their expertise in quickly diagnosing a problem is way beyond my skill level. I really appreciated that they were honest about what needed to be addressed now, and what could wait until later. Since I'm close to CTTG geographically, I can piece out these follow-up visits a little at a time so I don't have to bite them all off at once. I've heard about other shops that are very aggressive in trying to get you to do everything at once, so I was glad that Ed and CTTG were more practical about the immediacy of some of those needs.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #78

Nice followup on the work done at CTTG. I too just had my coach in there for a generator diesel injection pump leak, and I agree with you, they are great! I am not used to that kind of service in Houston. RV Masters in Houston sucks, don't ever go there. Since I recently moved back to SoCal, CTTG was a pleasant surprise!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:48 AM   #79

Lucky you found that bad U-bolt 😜 Glad mine broke leaving a parking lot and not doing 60mph on freeway 😢 I've trusted Colton Truck from when they did my PDI on the RV before I bought and all work after.

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 07-27-2016, 06:41 PM   #80
TR4

Air Dryer service/valve rebuild
Replace front and rear airbags
Replace left-rear shock (small leak)
Service axle seals
Replace CAC
Service Transmission
Service Hydraulic System
Service Cooling System
Adjust Valves

I just replaced my Bendix AP-ID dryer. Just get a Bendix rebuildt unit. They have all new seals, check valve, purge valve and filter. They cost about $300- and take about two hours to take out and about the same to install. This time is based on my first air dryer replacement.

Airbags, shocks and seals I'd have them do.

Replace CAC, I've never done one.

Change fluid and filters in transmission, I found this to be easier than changing engine oil (I used Transynd).

Hydraulic fluid and filters (I have three stacked), about like changing engine oil.

Service cooling system, just drain, flush (I ran a cleaner and flushed two more times), check hoses and replace if needed, new filter and install final charge anti freeze.

Adjust valves, just like solid lifters on a car (a little more work if you have an engine brake). You can buy a barring tool on eBay.

If you've worked on cars and trucks, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Bill
Old 08-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #81
DTS

We got home the other day from our first long-distance trip in the '98 Intrigue.

We went from Southern California to Empire, Colorado, camped for a week at a Jeep event (this was a work trip ).

The drive was 946 miles each way, 1,892 miles total. We made each trip over two days, but the first day was a killer as we left in the middle of the night to get across most of the desert before the daytime heat, ended up doing 645 miles in one hop

The Intrigue did pretty well, considering there are a TON of grades between southern California and the front range of Colorado. It made all of those grades OK except for one: Vail Pass. I got to within 4 miles of the top and had to pull over and unhook the Jeep. I was all the way down in 2nd and it was looking like I was going to have to grab 1st, which I'd rather not do without another gear in reserve. So we unhooked and it hauled ass over the pass with ease. That damned Jeep is heavy!

So I'm hoping that little leak in the CAC made the difference in not being able to make that hill without unhooking. The guys at Colton Truck said it would rob a little horsepower. So I want another shot at that hill after I've fixed the CAC

We learned a LOT about the coach on this trip. Including a few more things that need to be fixed. Its developed a lean in travel mode, you can tell in a couple of the photos. Have to have the guys at CTTG check that out. Also, on the way home, on our last night on the road staying at a KOA in Richfield Utah, the slide wouldn't move. Turns out the parking brake light isn't illuminating either, so I'm wondering if the switch on the parking brake plunger is bad, and if that locks out the slide mechanism. I also discovered there's more wrong with my dash A/C than what the guys at CTTG had fixed before my trip. Need to have them take another look at it before our next outing.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #82
TR4

Dusty, on the parking brake you have an air pressure sensor. If it fails the parking light will not illuminate and the slide doesn't recognize that it's in park and will not allow you to use the slide.

In the picture you see three air pressure sensors (toward the top with wires connected) in the drivers side front bay. Primary tank, secondary tank and parking brake. To test them, just ground them and the light should illuminate. You'll also be able to tell which one is the parking brake sensor.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	135460  
Old 08-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #83

New to us 1998 Intrigue

The Intrigue did pretty well, considering there are a TON of grades between southern California and the front range of Colorado.

Hmmm, when the zombie hordes are marching west, I hope they try to find the front range of Colorado before heading on to WA State. That should delay them quite awhile as I have no idea where the front range is, and neither should they.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #84
DTS

Thanks a ton for the tips TR4! I'll check that out after work today. Not sure if my '98 will match what's in the pic for your '03, but those are great clues. I was thinking it was probably a switch on the parking brake plunger itself. But I'll check out your lead first