Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:50 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
New-To-Us 2002 Affinity

We just traded our Monaco Windsor for a 2002 Country Coach Affinity. My iRV2 board name is changed from WindsorDave to CoCoDave, neither of which are very inspired but thinly connected to the coach we own.

I'm sure there will be many questions as we gain more experience and maybe some answers for the same reason. My first question concerns the rear view mirrors.

Our new coach has a pair of Velvac mirrors used on this era of Affinitys and Magnas. They have one good feature; the little "top hat"mirror on top that lets one see down the side of the coach thus eliminating the blind spot.

2002 Affinity/Magna Velvac Mirrors

The little "top hat" mirrors are electrically adjustable. The problem is that they do not have a range of motion that allows them to be tilted down far enough to see the front wheels. For me that is a serious problem. I need to see the front wheels when maneuvering in my driveway to get close to curbs without running over them.

Our prior coach had convex mirrors that occupied the lower third of the mirror housings and could be manually adjusted to clearly see the front wheel. They made fancy maneuvering easy.

Those stick-on's and stud mounted convex mirrors would serve well from a functional standpoint, but they don't look very good. Anybody have a convex accessory mirror that looks good, or at least unobtrusive?

The main mirrors also lack a full range of adjustment due to the "anti-rattle" pads. If the pads are unhooked, the mirrors vibrate and make seeing the reflected images difficult. If they are connected, the range of motion is very limited. Any ideas about fixing this?

TIA,

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #2

Congrats on the new shoes!

I changed our 04 Allure two head mirror out with a pair of three headed mirrors. I found these at an RV Surplus store that bought our much of the Monaco parts department.

Might call around and see if anyone still has these available. Needed to add in one more switch to change the four way pivotal switch between the middle and top mirror, the switches as installed only covered the two head for adjustment.

But probably cheaper to check a truck store for adding an attachment mirror.

Best of luck, and enjoy,
Smitty

Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 AM   #3

Can you change the Fixed position of the mirror to the opposite extreme adjustment to allow the Electric Adjust to cover the range you are looking for and back to your Normal View?
Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #4

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. Am monitoring e-bay, just in case some three-segment heads become available. I'll start calling Northwest RV Supply, Veurlinks, and salvage yards too.

When we went through the coach with the dealer's technician, we tried to find a way to alter the physical mounting to establish a different range of motion. We decided it would be more trouble than it's worth.

In the mean time, I'm looking at handlebar mounted mirrors for bicycles and motor cycles that look pretty good and can be mounted using the existing threaded hole for the set screw that secures the mirror head to the arm with an adapter that I can make.

Looking forward to the Country Coach experience.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
Old 04-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Dave, welcome to the CC club. You will not regret getting one of these great coaches.

One of the few slight disappointments with my Allure is the rather small Velvac mirror heads. My 2002 Journey had a Velvac head that was much taller. I have mounted one of the little round convex mirrors on the outer lower corner of the glass to help with the blind spot. I will be curious to see how you mount a bicycle/motorcycle mirror....I may try that.

I've also considered getting a set of the top hats from my local Fleet Pride parts counter (they had good pricing on Velvac mirror heads last I checked). I did not know the top hats were remotely adjustable.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #6

CoCo - You and I have the same coach. Same year and model at least. At first I did not like the mirrors. I still don't like them all that much. But I did get used to them. I played with mine a bunch to get the best view. I also added a stick on to each side. Seems like I can see my front wheels with the stick on mirrors. When it is light tomorrow I will look. The way I do it now when I am worried about the front wheels I send my wife out to spot for me. I did that today pulling into a tight spot in a State campground.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #7

Hmmm......you guys are making me nervous.

After 12 years and 70,000 miles, I am learning I need to be able to see the front wheels!!
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #8

Windsor, I mean CoCo, if it is primarily at home - could you mount a convex mirror used for blind spots in a location(s) to see the coach and curb?

May be not as expensive...
Best,
Smitty
Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #9

Thanks again, guys. All good stuff and food for thought.

A kind neighbor donated a pair of H-D handlebar mirrors. They won't be exactly "unobtrusive" but they will be good for a prototype.

Like Smitty did, I'm shopping new-old-stock spare parts suppliers as well.

And, like B Bob, I have DW spot for me when necessary but she does not like to do it. Especially when returning home. She wants to make the transition from coach to stick-house instantly and does not want to dink around supporting the parking exercise. In fact, when returning home from a trip we spend the last night in a campground 75 miles from home so that we can arrive at the house mid-morning the following day. Otherwise she'd have me schlepping stuff in the dark of night.

In the mean time, I have to finish configuring the hitch / tow bar set up. Boy, that receiver is high off the ground!

Thanks again,
Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the new to you Country Coach. Enjoy all your future travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
As far as being able to see the front wheels, if CC had put a decent size slider window for the driver, all you would need to do is stick your head out and look down. That is what I was able to do on my previous DP.

That little 'toll' window is pretty useless IMO. Nevertheless, love most everything about this beast .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
As far as being able to see the front wheels, if CC had put a decent size slider window for the driver, all you would need to do is stick your head out and look down. That is what I was able to do on my previous DP.

That little 'toll' window is pretty useless IMO. Nevertheless, love most everything about this beast .
Without wishing to get into the size of heads, and whilst I agree the toll window is too small generally, I do manage to get my head out relatively easily to spot the risks around the wheel and front corner etc. Do you guys have close proximity mirrors, one over the door and one over the driver window. These are a legal requirement for HGV in the UK and provide vision of the wheel area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Close proximity mirrors.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	61029  
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:00 AM   #13

Michael,

I've seen those mirrors on some over-the-road tractors and large box trucks but not on motor homes. I'm assuming your coach is left-hand drive so those mirrors would really be handy any time you're underway.

Best,

P.S. Re: post #9 above - it turned out that the coach hitch receiver is 6" too high for my Jeep Cherokee using a Blue Ox base plate. So I had to put in a 6" drop receiver adapter.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #14

Dave, Yes left hand drive, toured US in first year out of the CC factory then imported to UK. These mirrors are convex and provide a view of the kerb, here is a link to an E-Bay supplier:-

DAF COMPLETE ROOF / CURB MIRROR HEAD | eBay

sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote