Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2010, 01:14 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Rose View Post
I am suppose to go in today to do the walk through.

I found out last night that they had deposited my deposit.
They told me at Bretz RV in Missoula Mt. that they were going to hang onto it and not deposit it until I did the walk through, with my Uncle to see that every thing was taken care of and that it is what we agreed on.

The upsetting part is that I feel they dishonored there word. I told them 4 times to hang onto the check until the walk through.
I feel betrayed, before even going in and am wondered if this is there normal way of scamming people out of 2,000.00.

I wanted to be able to go through the walk through and confident in what I was choosing and now I have NO CONFIDENCE in this business.
Because they dishonored there word 4 times they heard and deposited it anyway.
I told them that I would transfer the funds after looking at it since I would be transferring the balance also.

Now I find that I had 3 checks bounce all very small since I thought they held the check and that it wouldn't be a problem since I explicitly shared what I was doing.
And my bank took the balance of about 1400.00 from my credit account to cover that check....and this is a completely separate account.
I am pretty ticked with this experience...
I was hoping my nerves were just a new time buyers thing rather that it becoming a nightmare.
Please help....I don't know how a company that is suppose to be so reputable be a place that I am thinking are corrupt and dishonoring to customers words....as well as their own.
They "told me" they hang onto the check until the final walk through...
I don't understand this.
Am I dealing with the level of used car salesmen here?
I expected more professional dealers for some odd reason.

I hope they just made a mistake and will cover the bounce fees..and do what ever is right at this point......but the other fear is if they are trying to dump a piece of junk on me now also.

I am thinking my fears may have been well founded.

Montana Rose
If they have your $2k... you own a new camper. 1st thing i would do if it even starts is drive it somewhere to get the oil sampled on that ancient Detroit. If that thing has been sitting for years you have to make sure it has been maintained. Oil samples are an amazing tool.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are dealing with an used car dealer. Only with higher stakes!

Mike
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm really trying hard to come up with a picture of a 35' diesel 1984 country coach. That rig has to be 1 of the VERY 1st Class A diesel pushers around. Radiator might even be in the front i'm thinking... (google coming up with no links or pics at all...) Does it look like this? (1984 35' Country Coach)
Old 07-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I've heard nothing good nor bad about Bretz but considering they dishonored your wishes with the check that's your first indication they're not too reliable. I would not sign any papers and demand my check back first.
IMO: I dislike the Detroits that were not the "Silver Series". In my experience they have been less then reliable. I had terrible luck with an 8V92, 435 hp in a Peterbilt many years ago.
Second: I think a heavy used diesel for a first time buyer is a mistake, unless you are a good mechanic with diesel experience.
Third: There are tons of good used gassers out there with less miles that I'd consider first.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
I found it....: Click image for larger version

Name:	1Qcay7y4GPW1_nm[1].jpg
Views:	102
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	4833 = 1984 Country Coach 38' Diesel Pusher. (although this one appears to have a 3208 Cat and be 38' long not 35')
Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #20

IMO you should always go with your gut feeling and 95 % of the time you will be right. If i was you I would run from that dealer. Any minor repairs on the engine/brakes will be at least a thousand dollars and major repairs more than cost of motor home. If necessary employ an attorney. The cost will probably be money well saved. Just my 2 cents
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #21
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call bank.
Pay them to put a "stop check" on that check. Twenty five bucks for stop check is better than 2 grand. Let the dealer then take you to court. Most states you have 3 days to return merchandise for a refund less a little. You are not returning, you just are not taking it. Should be a full refund. I'm not a lawyer, but as stated maybe one is the better thing to have right now.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
BBB states their a B- company. I guess that is a little better than a C.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #23
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I would walk away quickly, no run away very quicly from this coach and the dealer. Also do what Wayne M suggested and have a stop put on the check. Once the dealer starts lying, it never stops. And yes propane gennies will bleed you dry.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #24

A very very sad day...

I am in tears....
You guys are awesome...I only wish I had more info before I went in.

I have never done this before.

I went into the dealership. Talked to the salesman and told him that I was upset with the fact that they went and deposited the check before the final walk through. I told him that this was discussed 4 times with the salesman and 3 times were with witnesses.
I shared that it has caused me to bounce 3 small checks and I want something done about it.
He said we normally go through the paperwork and all of that first, then do the final inspection. But if you want to see the RV first lets check it out.

We, my Uncle and a friend walked out to the RV, both men.

(He may have thought that seeing it would take away the uneasiness, I don't know)

It was clean. Looked pretty good on the inside, still had some issues.
My Uncle wasn't able to start it nor was the salesman.
That completely brought me to tears....
This was not a good feeling.....I was getting sick inside.

My dreams where that I was going to live in an RV as full time RV'er and hope to meet and join up with some of you down the road.

We tried to leave from this what felt like a bad situation.
This was the 3rd time it didn't start.
I said, "Don't you have any idea what kind of risk you are putting me in something you can't get to run. I am not a mechanic, I am not going to be able to work on the engine and fix this thing."
Your trying to sell me a coach that I don't know will blow up the minute it is out of the lot or 5 miles down the road!"

I spoke with my Uncle and friend and both of them felt that if this isn't feeling right it might be a good time to bail.

We headed back to the office.
I told the salesman this doesn't feel right. I can't do this.

He said he had to speak with his boss Dave who is the son of Bretz's RV, apparently.
Dave came out and introduced himself to us and we walked back into his office.
He asked what was going on....I shared how 4 times it was discussed that they were not going to deposit the check. (The salesman denied it in front of his boss) I told him I had witnesses who were sitting with me when this was discussed.

Dave said I understand that both of you men who brought her in have bought RV's from us what was your experience?
The friend said he bought and RV in about 06 and after having in a month and driving 700 miles the engine blew up. I tried to do business with you and you wouldn't help me so I had to pay for a new engine. Granted I didn't get the extended warranty and probably should have but I would have never thought I would have the engine blow up like that.
I just don't want her being mishandled or this going like a used car salesman...or dealership...not sure which word he used.
(Dave got mad and said this is not a used car dealership!...he said he could through us out but that he wouldn't) HOW NICE!
My friend said, "you asked about my experience and i told you"

He went on to say he was trying and work this out!

I told him I was uncomfortable with what was being pushed on me....
I would like to get my deposit back and start over...and perhaps consider a 5th wheel...cause this may not be reliable.

I shared that I can't be stuck in this thing when I drive 5 miles down the road and it breaks down because you weren't honest with me- why would I trust you with the sale of this coach. You have dashed my confidence in you. I thought you guys were an honest reputable company cause you said you were and thinking people here would be... from... Montana!."

He (Dave) said i could look for a 5th wheel and use the deposit on something else.
I told him, "then basically you are telling me that I am screwed out of 2,000.00 if I don't buy a 5th wheel or another RV from you..
He repeated you can use it as a deposit..
I said the same.....
Then I called in my Uncle as a witness and said it again....you are telling me that I either buy something else from you or you take my $2,000.00
He said, "Yes".

WELCOME TO BRETZ'S RV

This goes on... I am exhausted....
I am devastated.....horribly troubled...

I thought I understood good faith worked both way...not at Bretz's RV in Missoula, Mt.

Also,
My Uncle said in front of Dave "well let's cool down for a couple of days and then see perhaps, a Lawyer....Dave got really angry and said, I don't have to speak to you ...you can see my lawyer."
I am trying to work this out! But if you mention lawyer one more time we we are done.....(words something close to that)

I said, you know, you have a chance to do this differently. You can make this right. I don't have a lot of money.....this is not right!"
I thought this was an honest company.....I taught this was a company with integrity. I was impressed when I came in....I came in excited...I can't believe what I am going through....

Left devastated! and with out the walk through and with out the RV

My friend even said, I will give her 2,000.00 if you'll let me have credit in parts and equipment...Dave said, "NO"

The best he'd do is give me a couple days to say no on the RV and give me a year to find a 5th wheel from them...WHAT A DEAL!

Montana Rose....thank Guys!

JC2- I wish I had been able to walk away but they already took my money and deposited it....Thanks for your imput....

Greystone- Wow a B- .....hmmm, all that!....I guess they have a field day with some of us then. Thanks Greystone

Wayne- The bank cleared the check from another account to cover the funds, unfortunately. Thanks also Wayne, if I had only been quicker...and not trust so easily.

RVhauler- I agree, we are going to talk someone. Yep, my gut was telling me more than I understood. I made the mistake to believe in them, after all I was born here.

Fkloster- That is what it looks like for sure only shorter. Thanks for going through the work of finding one.

Bigskymt-Yes, they did dishonor my wishes, that is a fact! Good points and good advise!

Mfire- Sure looks like a duck!

I just wanted something to call home!
Montana Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:09 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I hope this is just a dream! Never give up any REAL money until you are in contract. Good Rv;s can be slow sellers and problem old ones not at all. If you get a 5er do you have a truck? If not that's your next challenge. Are you looking at buying older vehicles, trailer and truck? If so you really need some DIY skills or have a juicy $$$ account. Nothing is cheap on these toys.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #26
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't give up on the bank. Talk to them and explain your situation. You have not received goods yet. Deposits, credits, debits are nothing more than electronic paper transactions. The bank may still be able to help you. Do report them to the BBB and maybe the B can be reduced to a D.

Also, call Good Sam. Even if you are not a member but are going to join them, they have an advocate group that help people resolve problems.

I traveled through Missoula and had a great experience with the Cummins dealer. I wish everyone was like that. If I travel through there again I'll just have to stop at Bretz, look around, and then state I'd be afraid to buy anything from them and walk out based on your experience with them. Not good press for them.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I hope you can run away from this M/H and dealer both. The $2000.00 you might lose may be trivial compared to future losses.
You may want to talk to the owner or manager rather then a sales person regarding return of your money. An owner has more at stake then a sales person.
IMO if the dealership is difficult to deal with before the sale/delivery things can only get worse after the sale.
I would walk away before they push you into something else. You can read the contract and decide if an attorney is necessary after things cool down.
Good luck.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #28

After reading through all this I find nowhere mentioning any contract to purchase the RV was signed.

Did you just hand them a check for 2k under the premise to hold the vehicle for X days so you could get inspections done? Did you sign anything?

Legally, regardless of the State, they cannot take chattel in this manner unless you signed some sort of purchase agreement.. You must of had to sign something.

There is no 'cooling-off' period in any State for vehicle purchases unfortunately. Once you sign, it's yours.

Some states legally allow a refund of your deposit if you cannot obtain any financing for the vehicle, if the vehicle's condition has been misrepresented or if the dealer hasn't signed their end of the deal yet.

If you did sign something take a look at the fine print and see if the words 'deposit' or 'down payment' are used. If they used 'down payment' then your money is now theirs.

(not my words, but I asked a family member who is an attorney)