Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #15

Hurricane furnace...still looking for heat

Thanks 9x9 for the insight...let me see if I can tell you of my progress in trying to get the furnace working..as described in earlier posts, the furnace lights, the pump starts to run and heated fluids start to move. After 2 or 3 minutes the burner goes out but restarts on its own in 10 or 15 seconds. The heating process then proceeds for another 2 or 3 minutes until the burner goes out. The manual says the most common cause of this fault is air in the fuel. I removed the furnace from the coach, inspected and tightened everything. I also replaced the fuel filter. After all this the burner still would not stay on. I had also gotten advice that the fuel lines were possibly allowing air into the fuel system. To rule this out I set up a separate fuel tank using new fuel line but the furnace would still only run for 2 or 3 minutes. Based on this analysis I don't think the fuel lines are allowing air into the fuel. The one thing I did notice is that each time I shut the system down I have a fault code at the circuit board. The writing on the circuit board cover is missing so I don't know what the fault is but it is always the same one. 9x9 mentioned a nozzle as a possible fix as well as a bad circuit board. Its getting cold in Leavenworth so any additional help would be appreciated. Thank you, Jim Barone work camping in Leavenworth

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 03:38 AM   #16

What fuel pump is in your unit?

The original one is round like a pop can and is hard mounted to the case of the hurricane. The aftermarket one is somewhat square and dangles from the fuel lines entering and exiting the top. If you have an original, it is most likely that's your problem. The originals did not last long. Rixen (800) 925-6260 is a GREAT source for parts and tech help on the Hurricane.

tillbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #17

I had Jim Rixen Service mine while I had him add the electrical conversion. Ended up being the fuel pump and compressor. Jim is THE source for Hurricane trouble shooting and repair IMO. The electrical addition now allows me to use only electric to heat and use the hydronic without pulling out to fuel every month. Good to about -17, then I supplement with the burner.
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:11 AM   #18

It is just my luck. As we are discussing this I started having problems with my Hurricane.

Some time during the night it stops working and the central heat switch goes from a bright orange to a very dim light. When I go to the outside control board there is a red light on. As soon as I touch it or even lightly knock on the cover it resets and fires back up and will run for hours.

I will start by finding the grounds and tightening them. ARRRRRR!!!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #19

Hurricane furnace

Jim barone here...still trying to get my hurricane to stay lit...what did you find in your search for an grounding issue? I have reassembled my unit and have discovered a fuel leak coming from inside the stainless box..it will still light and run for 2 or 3 minutes and then shut down with a grand display of white smoke..I'm calling Jim Rixen monday but in the meantime, if you have any additional thoughts i could sure use the help. Thank you Jim Barone
Old 10-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #20

Smile Hurricane heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillbuilt View Post
What fuel pump is in your unit?

The original one is round like a pop can and is hard mounted to the case of the hurricane. The aftermarket one is somewhat square and dangles from the fuel lines entering and exiting the top. If you have an original, it is most likely that's your problem. The originals did not last long. Rixen (800) 925-6260 is a GREAT source for parts and tech help on the Hurricane.
Your the man...this may be the last chapter of the hurricane repair saga. I contacted Rixen inc., got a new fuel pump and rebuild kit for the regulator and an hour later the hurricane fired up and we had heat..:thanks to all for your help.. hope I can be helpful in the future...Jim barone, work camping in Leavenworth, WA
Old 10-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #21

I finally figured mine out!!!! .

Someone replaced one of the fuses and did not get one of the blades into the socket of the fuse holder. It would make contact until it heated up after a few hours, and then loose contact. It would make contact again when it vibrated by opening up the bay door. It was a son of a gun to troubleshoot.

Tags
heat