Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #1

Newly 2001 CC Affinity..need heat

New owners work camping in Leavenworth WA. I finally got the Hurricane heater to light and stay on but I can't find the expansion tank so I can check the fluid level. Additionally, in the cabinet at the far left side of the galley, is a digital control called NUHEAT with a foot symbol on it. The readout is in degrees F. I don't know what this is used for. This is an all electric coach and I'm trying to get our heat operational before the snow falls. Thanks so much and I look forward to chatting with all of you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Nuheat & Hurricane

Don't know about an expansion tank for the Hurricane. The Hurricane heats and circulates engine coolant. There is no separate tank that I'm aware of. You should have a coolant expansion tank in the engine compartment with a sight glass. The glass is just a single bubble-like glass that just shows if coolant is at that level.

The Nuheat is your electric floor heat. There should be a breaker in the AC panel, probably in the bedroom, that says "floor heat" or something like that. The panel (thermostat) with the foot is kind of confusing but if you watch the display while pushing the buttons you should get an idea of what's going on. Look at your AC current display to check and see if current is being drawn by the Nuheat to determine if it's on or not. It takes awhile for the floor to warm enough so that you can feel it. Typically if you set the floor heat to around 85* it will keep the chill off down into the low 50's high 40's. It s a very cool system, so to speak.

HTH

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2003 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #3

On my 2000 Intrigue the expansion tank is in the engine compartment. Way in the back. You have to lift the bed to get to it. The engine coolant is separate from the Hurricane coollant. It might come to gether in a heat exchanger. I also have a overflow tank for the Hurricane system in the engine compartment. It looks like you would have in a car. I hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #4

I double checked this morning and our coach doesn't have a separate expansion tank for the Hurricane.
FWIW
Old 09-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
I double checked this morning and our coach doesn't have a separate expansion tank for the Hurricane.
FWIW
Here's the one and only expansion tank on our coach.

The generic, boiler plate Hurricane installation diagram does show a heat exchanger and a dedicated expansion tank but Country Coach did not install it that way in ours and I gather others as well.

That is not to say that there are no coaches with Hurricane-dedicated expansion tanks.

I called Butch Williams and he said that he had seen one that had a retrofitted Hurricane heat exchanger and expansion tank. The thinking was that the owner did not like the idea of engine coolant running through piping in the domestic hot water tank.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2003 Cherokee Overland
Old 09-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #6

Here is a link to what mine looks like: https://goo.gl/photos/BQvdrszsTRnFkzKk9
Old 09-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot53 View Post
Here is a link to what mine looks like: https://goo.gl/photos/BQvdrszsTRnFkzKk9
Interesting! Thanks for posting that. If you and James, the original poster, don't have it, here's a link to the ITR Hurricane website. They have some documentation and will answer questions over the phone.

International Thermal Research ITR Hurricane

It's a great system and I actually like it better than the AquaHot that was in our previous coach.

Best,
Old 09-16-2016, 12:12 AM   #8

Thanks for sharing, CoCoDave. I have looked at their wedsite and read the manual that came with my coach. My goal in the next few weeks is to see if and how mine works. My first step will be to lift the bed, take off the engine cover and check the coolant level, also see if there is a heat exchanger. Then see if it lights up. I will let you know what I find.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

Hurricane expansion tank

I asked International Thermal Research about the Hurricane expansion tank and he responded that the system always had and needed an expansion tank and that he thought that CC used the main engine coolant and expansion tank. This confirms what CoCo Dave initially told me. Thanks to all for your help. Jim Barone work camping in Leavenworth, WA
Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Barone View Post
I asked International Thermal Research about the Hurricane expansion tank and he responded that the system always had and needed an expansion tank and that he thought that CC used the main engine coolant and expansion tank. This confirms what CoCo Dave initially told me. Thanks to all for your help. Jim Barone work camping in Leavenworth, WA
This is true. The early Hurricanes use the engine expansion tank and do not have a tank of its own. No problem here except that you are also heating that huge heat sink of an engine block when you are trying to heat the coach. Good thing is that you don't need to plug in the block heater.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 PM   #11

Looks just like our 2000 Intrigue

2008 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
JOC1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #12

I topped off the expansion tank a couple weeks ago. I tried to start the heater and all that happen was the circulation pump would run a while then shut off. I took the manual home and studied some more. I figured out that the Hurricane heater was conroled by the regular thermostat, I just had to set it to furnace. I tried it yesterday and it fired up and worked. Hot air from the Hurricane :-)
Old 10-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

Congratulations. As you've probably discovered, it really does generate heat. My only complaint is that the roar of the burner is pretty loud.

I've thought about getting one of those "Gen-Turi" devices. They are designed for generator exhausts and I have seen/heard them in use. They do reduce the noise and vent the exhaust above the roof line of the coach.

Gen-Turi On Amazon

So far I've decided that the need for a Gen-Turi is not frequent enough to justify it. If we dry-camped near other people that would be another matter. As it is, we just turn on the heated floor when we're hooked up, which is usually plenty to keep the coach at sleeping temperature.

We use the Hurricane mostly to take the chill off the coach before getting underway in the morning.

Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #14

I have had extensive experience with the Hurricane Heater. (experiential) One of the 1st lessons I learned is it will not run when your fuel tank is below 1/4 (this keeps you from running out of fuel to go down the road and get more fuel) The second thing I learned is that there was a recall on the boards on some of their models. Call the folks at the factory and they will be happy to tell you if you need one. The 3rd thing I found was that the folks at the factory are an excellent source of information and don't mind helping you figure out what the problems are and how to fix them. Your expansion tank is in the engine compartment and is the same one for your radiator and where you put your anti freeze in. Order up a spare fuel nozzle to keep handy. At some time in the future plan on having all your fuel lines, both supply and return, replaced. Have them replace the ones to the generator and the heater too. Your coach is 16 yrs old and rubber rots. I'm having ours done next week. The design of this heater is very simple and easy to understand and they are generally very reliable.
Good Luck and safe travels

Tags
heat