Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #1

No 12v at all inside coach

I'm hooked to shore power. Everything was working fine. Tried to crank main engine. Battery dead. Used boost switch to start engine, it turned over twice. The third time I used the boost I heard a click or pop from somewhere near battery bay on drivers side. After that I have no 12v in coach. All outlets work and the microwave works. No lights, fridge, thermostat, clock, control panel up front all dead. I checked all of the breakers I could find and none were tripped. I reset them all again. I'm new to this and don't know where to start. Thanks for any help you can give me.

1996 CC Affinity 40'
Heart Freedom 25 inverter
Stillkoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 12:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like you blew the fuse, in your battery bay, follow your battery cable till you find a fuse, and check it! My Monaco has one, and your CC probably does too! It also could have tripped a relay, hope another CC owner will see this, and help?
Your breakers are 110V, so resetting them won't fix a 12 volt problem!
You will have to address the issue of your chassis battery not getting charged, when you are plugged in! The easiest way is to hard wire a battery maintainer to your chassis battery, so it will charge while you are plugged in to shore power! Hope this fixes it, but you will have to charge the chassis battery up, or replace it, if it is a older one? Good luck, let us know what you find?
Rail!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:37 AM   #3
YC1

See if you have a house cutoff switch near the entry. Low voltage from the huge draw on the batteries could have caused it to drop out.

IF you can get the generator started or get plugged into shoreline, you can let things charge for an hour or so before trying to start the engine.

And welcome to the forum. There are a lot of thing to learn about your new toy so keep a notepad close and this forum even closer.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:37 AM   #4

Not sure on your coach but there are breakers near the battery bay. On my coach there are three 200 amp breakers. Those breakers are red buttons that you push to reset. There is also a large 300 amp fuse hidden in the battery bay but that fuse goes to my inverter and if blown would prevent the charger from providing 12 volt dc to the coach.

Once you get 12 volt power back monitor your chassis batteries and see if they are getting charged. If not, get back to us.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 AM   #5
Community Administrator

This is the BCC ( battery control center ) on a Fleetwood Bounder. The two black push buttons on the bottom left are the 12 volt breakers. Possibly , yours has something similar that needs reseting as mentioned in the above post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0198.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	163075

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #6

I found a 300amp ceramic inline fuse above my two rollout battery trays. I'm not sure how to test it to see if it's bad. Can I use a regular multimeter? If this fuse is blown would it stop 12v from getting to the interior of coach? My battery cutoff on the control panel by the front door doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not getting 12v to the panel so I can't check any of the status switches for the coach, house or chassis voltage, black water or grey water levels and so on. All 110 outlets and microwave work fine so I guess the inverter is passing the shore power thru ok. Thanks again in advance for all help and patience with a newb.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
TR4

Simple way to check that fuse, should have 12v on both sides of the fuse.

Bill
Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #8

Just a shot in the dark...I have an 2001 CC Affinity. Just inside the entrance up on the control panel is a switch labeled house battery disconnect. Sometimes referred to as a salesman switch. This will shut off all 12 volt power. ??? Jim Barone, workcamping in Leavenworth Wa.
James Barone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

Does your inverter put out 120 volt when you are disconnected from shore power?

According to my schematics, that fuse is on the inverter feed link so if it is bad then the inverter won't work nor will the charger and you'll run your house batteries down. I would still check that 300 amp fuse as Bill says.

Your 12 volt supply to the house goes through one of the 200 amp circuit breakers I mentioned earlier. You didn't say if you checked them.l Here's what my circuit breakers look like.

There are two other 105 amp circuit breakers in the electrical bay. One goes to your front run board and the other to the generator. Your front run board does supply some 12 volt power to the domestic side but there is a fuse panel in the electrical bay that is not supplied through that 105 amp breaker. From your description, it appears your problem is before power gets to those two 105 amp circuit breakers.

Here is a picture of my 200 amp circuit breakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Circuit Breakers.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	163156  
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
YC1

Start at the batteries and measure them. Write it down and make a diagram because you will not remember after a few days or even minutes if it is me.

Tell us if you are connected to shoreline power..

Can you start the generator?

When you tried to start the coach it just drained the batteries and now you do not have enough 12 volts to activate things that need the higher voltage such as a house relay etc.
http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm
This is an amazing interactive site that will help you begin to understand the systems.

Other will send you to The 12 volt side of life too.

This is like eating an elephant, just one bite at a time. You will get overwhelmed with complex information.

So, just take a bite at the battery voltages and other items suggested and report back soon

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #11

I carry a spare one of these

After having one go bad. Got it off eBay
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
My rig has two of the 300A Class T fuses of which Mike Brez posted a picture.

They are displayed on my wiring schematics.

One in the inverter/house electrical bay, and one on the back wall of the battery compartment.

When the one in the battery compartment fails, I do not have 12v power.

So, I look there with my multimeter first.

I also carry a spare Class T fuse. Solar or Marine stores may stock them.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #13

Thank you so much for the info. I'm out of town for holiday. I will check thes things and reply back on Tues
Old 05-29-2017, 11:47 AM   #14

Check your individual batteries. I had one "low" battery and it caused all kinds of weird electrical problems. Took me more than a month to track the problem down.
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote