Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

No/low 12v

I went out to grab something out of the Moho this morning and the steps did not come out. The lights 12v lights come on slow and are dim. I'm plugged in and everything 110 working. My chassis batteries are showing 13.5 and nothing on the house side. Wouldn't the 12v work normal being plugged in? I'm thinking a ground somewhere. Didn't have time to look at anything plus it's raining.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #2

Bad ground , dirty connections at the coach battery, low electrolyte in one cell , bad disconnect relay , etc, etc,...

Sorry; but you've got a project on your hands , once the rain stops.

At least with 13+v at the chassis, battery, the converter/charger appears to be functioning.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would start with electrolyte in batteries (by the way how old are they?) then check battery connections. These are the easiest to check. Bad ground could be almost anyplace. Could be a real PITA to track down.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

Since your house battery is not charging on shore power, I would think the battery could be suspect.

I would also wonder at why the 12v system does not work well with a battery installed and shore power.

Dead house battery and low 12v on shore power could point to your inverter/converter or the battery ground.

You do have two @ 300A class T fuses between the inverter and house batteries. But if one of them failed, you would have no 12v result at all.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

Stopped raining and had a little free time. Took all battery connections apart and cleaned on house and chassis and still the same. My chassis batteries are down to 12V. Took the positive connections from house and hooked them up to chassis and everything works that way. Put everything back the way it should be and still have the original problem plus now the fridge won't turn on. Go outside to check power and it's on. Unplug it for 30 seconds plug it back in. Go inside and fridge is on all 12v lights work. Before I checked the inverter and it was silent it has a slight hmmmm and the fan is going now. I suck at electrical I'm guessing inverter is going or is there something else between the shore power and inverter to look at.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #6

There may be a problem with the shore power
Old 10-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #7

With shore power you had 110v circuits working.

That means the transfer switch is working and shore power is working as VAC passes through the Distribution Panel (mine is in the bedroom).

From the Distribution Panel a 110vac circuit is routed to the Inverter to run the charger/converter/and inverter controlled circuits according to my manual schematics.

My Freedom 25 inverter has breakers on it. Try to reset all the breakers on your Inverter.

Have you meaured the voltage at the house battery terminals with shore power connected to determine if the three stage battery charger is putting 14.4 vdc into the battery?

If not 14.4 vdc from the charger then the the charger could be your problem.

If the batteries are completely discharged or below 11.0 vdc then you might need to jump start the recharging process with a separate charger. Once the battery has been charged for a couple of hours, put it back in the system to see if the Inverter/charger will then charge the battery.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Assuming you do not have solar that is connected to your engine batteries the 13+ volts shows your converter/charger is working. That charging voltage is not reaching the coach batteries based on your readings and symptoms and supported by the fact you jumped from the chassis positive to the coach positive leads. This temporary fix will get your house batteries back up so they do not get damaged due to severe discharge.

I do not know your rv setup for combining battery banks but can take a stab at sorting it out. I suspect you have an emergency start button that when pressed activates a large solenoid. With an assistant in the drivers seat turn the ignition to the run position but do not start the rv. IF you have a master cutoff switch somewhere near the entry door turn it on. Now cycle the emergency start switch on and off. Go outside and listen for the large clunk. If you do not hear anything that is an issue that may be as simple as a control fuse. If you hear the clunk and can find the solenoid then take a picture in the area and post it for follow up.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote