Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #15

I'm going to guess: you have two power panels with breakers or a combined (2 part) panel. First part or first panel has a main breaker for the coach, probably a 50Amp 2 pole breaker. In that panel or part is a 30A one pole breaker out to the inverter, and the second panel or part has a 30A inverter breaker in from the inverter which powers the balance of breakers in that "sub" panel or part of the mother panel.

Your inverter has a transfer switch. when it senses 120V incoming it transfers that out to the sub panel to distribute (sounds like the convection/micro is a breaker off the transferred power, i.e. in with the sub panel breakers). If there is no incoming 120V and the inverter is set to invert, then it makes 120V out of battery 12V, and sends that out from its inverter side of its transfer switch. In other words the inverter decides which source of 120V to send out.

If the transfer switch is bad, it may not transfer shore power 120V back out. Usually when this is the case it won't send out inverted 120V either, but that's not necessarily always the case.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #16

two heaters on one curcuit wont trip a gfi. you need a ground fault to trip a gfi. they would trip your breaker in your 120 volt panel. i assume you have checked the breakers in the ac power panel.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To be on the safe side, turn OFF ALL the breakers and turn them back on one at a time. If all the breakers feel good when you turn them on, check your circuits. If no success, take off the breaker panel and check the each breaker with an ohm meter to make sure it is working. Follow the wire to the circuit and find where the current stops.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #18

Well, problem diagnosed and solved with lessons learned. I burned two wires running into the inverter which fortunately were repairable and I didn't kill the inverter. I had the coach plugged into a 20 amp outlet in the shop through an extension cord and 2 space heaters in the coach plugged into the same circuit. I had Action RV Service (mobile RV service) come look at it and it turned out to be a quick fix. The techs suggestion was get an electrician out and get a 50 amp service breaker and a 50 amp RV plug to avoid similar issues in the future. Thank you to everybody who jumped in to help.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #19

How can the wires burn and the breakers did not trip...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #20

I don't know. The service tech thought it was strange also. He did comment that it took a while. The coach was parked with the heaters plugged in for about a month and a half. I told the tech that I did have a strange smell in the garage and searched for the source a couple if times but never located it.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:02 AM   #21

Then the wires are the wrong size. They can't take the current for which the circuit is sized for. Replace the breaker with a smaller one or, if it's easy enough replace the wire for a heavier gauge. JMHO... Maybe even get a good electrician to look this over?

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote