Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #1

No power to outlets

We were running both an electric teapot and a hairdryer this morning when we suddenly lost all power to only the outlets in the entire coach. We have a 2002 36' Intrigue and can only find one GFCI outlet in the bedroom next to the wardrobe closet. We couldn't get the GFCI to reset, so we installed a new one, and still have no power. The new GFCI outlet won't reset either, so we're assuming there is no power going to the outlet. We have reset the breakers in the breaker box. Electrical issues aren't our specialty-- can anyone provide any suggestions? Appreciate your help!
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Brett.. you probably have an inverter which will have a couple of circuit breakers on the side of it. Check them to make sure they have not tripped.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Usually there are more then one GFCI outlet in a motorhome, look closely under the kitchen cabinets or in the bathroom, usually at the rasor outlet.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:00 PM   #4

Mine has a GFCI under the cabinet on the drivers side across from the kitchen sink.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #5

I had a similar problem with out entertainment area plugs and the inverters was in the storage bay next to our door and had tripped. Who knew it was there?, the folks on this forum.

2006 Winnebago Adventurer
2014 Honda CRV
Rpwainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:06 PM   #6

Hey Ron,
I did find that one of the breakers had flipped on the inverter. Sure enough, that was the problem. Thanks so much for your help, and thanks to all that replied.
I have only owned my coach since February and you guys have been extremely helpful.
Thanks again
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
You're very welcome. The first time that happened to me, I spent two days trying to figure it out until someone on another forum mentioned these breakers.

When ever anyone on any of the forums I participate in, have an 120v outlet problem, 9 times out of 10, it is one of these inverter breakers that is the problem.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

Just as a fyi the transfer switch in some inverters will not latch on fault requiring a re-set on the inverter. I have seen it in a couple of rigs with no power and reset cured the problem.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
We were running both an electric teapot and a hairdryer this morning when we suddenly lost all power to only the outlets in the entire coach. We have a 2002 36' Intrigue and can only find one GFCI outlet in the bedroom next to the wardrobe closet. We couldn't get the GFCI to reset, so we installed a new one, and still have no power. The new GFCI outlet won't reset either, so we're assuming there is no power going to the outlet. We have reset the breakers in the breaker box. Electrical issues aren't our specialty-- can anyone provide any suggestions? Appreciate your help!
bneukam
Over loading an "AC receptacle circuit" in your RV can and will trip a breaker on your inverter......(running both an electric teapot and a hairdryer usually overloads a circuit and trips a breaker).
My inverter has 2 "pop out circuit breakers" on the face of the inverter itself.
If one pops out, (trips), unplugging whatever overloaded the circuit, (in your case the teapot and hair dryer), and pushing the breaker in resets it.

BTW over loading a circuit seldom trips a GFCI in that circuit.... but if one is tripped it will not reset unless it sees 120VAC power.

Mel
'96 Safari, (2000 watt heart inverter).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power