Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

No shore power.

Lost all 50 amp AC two days ago,after 3500 mile trip. Of coarse fridge quit, a real mess , ...only after I left charger at 20a for 9 hours would engine start. ( it's still running as I write ) when I went to start gen. No problem, but when I shut off engine gen quit also. Anyone know what is going on? Transfer switch ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If your chassis batteries are toast, then the 12 v from the alternator would stop when the engine was shut off. I'd start by testing all batteries and connections.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
What model and year of coach? What inverter do you have?

The length, motor, number of slides is of no importance
Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
What model and year of coach? What inverter do you have?

The length, motor, number of slides is of no importance
Country Coach Concept, 1998 two 2500 inverters ( trace ) plus batery charger. 2 8D gel chssis bats. 4 8D gel house bats. All electric coach , no propane on board.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If your chassis batteries are toast, then the 12 v from the alternator would stop when the engine was shut off. I'd start by testing all batteries and connections.
I have been thinking about the Chassis Batteries., yet , both inverter read outs show 13.4 volts....but won't hold for long. Why is the shore power not working ? I have a AC guy coming in the AM ( transfer switch ? ) will see.

Not sure which Batts. are chassis, and all would have to be removed from the closed compartment in middle of coach for testing. Hard to get at. will have to remove slide out tray assembly in order to pull out one batt at a time....or maybe I can find a skinny kid to slither in there. ...I know, somehow I have to get a direct reading, will be tough.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Your 120 v issue could be a bad plug on your shore cord, the transfer switch, or perhaps your inverters. Please let us know what the tech finds out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

Sounds like a transfer switch. If you can get to it, give it a whack while you are plugged in and see what happens.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Your 120 v issue could be a bad plug on your shore cord, the transfer switch, or perhaps your inverters. Please let us know what the tech finds out.
Two AC loc al guys came out this morning, 3 hrs later, nothing !! What we did find out was, transfer switch has AC power coming in. This from shore and gen. power. If I run the engine and the gen together, as soon asm I turn off engine, it kills the gen too. Main AC breaker box in bedroom also has AC. however, thats about it , AC is not going beyond that panel. I talked to CC sales manager that sold me the coach, he said, " its the surge protector " ) located... on the AC panel in the bedroom, OK , I removed the little box....no change. I an still running 20 amps in to chassis with outside bat. charger. Batteries read 13 volts, but if i did not run outside charger, the engine would not start after an hour or so. Gen fires off fast now and without charger. My guess, I have over two days feeding 20 amps into system have brought back the batteries. Tomorrow I will see by shutting down charger. I have everything 12 volt turned off that I can, so...we will see. Bottom line , still no AC . shore or generator makes no difference. Not sure what to do next, no local RV help for 200 miles. I guess its still on me....
Old 06-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #9

Hope you have found the problem.

It sounds like all your batteries are low or dead.

With AC at the breaker panel but not beyond there are two possiblities.

GFI is popped at the outlets.

Breaker on the Inverter is popped. On my rig, the Inverter is wired between the Panel and the Outlets. I lost 4 hours figuring out that was the problem. Panel in bedroom, GFI in bedroom, Inverter in front basement......

No AC to the Inverter means also no battery charger.

If the engine battery is low or dead, that would mean the Alternator is not putting a charge into the chassis battery but......the alternator is providing enough juice to start the generator and run the 12v system stuff. That seems weird.......unless the engine battery is toast.

You can check the alternator function with a multimeter at the engine battery terminals with the engine running.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Hope you have found the problem.

It sounds like all your batteries are low or dead.

With AC at the breaker panel but not beyond there are two possiblities.

GFI is popped at the outlets.

Breaker on the Inverter is popped. On my rig, the Inverter is wired between the Panel and the Outlets. I lost 4 hours figuring out that was the problem. Panel in bedroom, GFI in bedroom, Inverter in front basement......

No AC to the Inverter means also no battery charger.

If the engine battery is low or dead, that would mean the Alternator is not putting a charge into the chassis battery but......the alternator is providing enough juice to start the generator and run the 12v system stuff. That seems weird.......unless the engine battery is toast.

You can check the alternator function with a multimeter at the engine battery terminals with the engine running.
OK , lets see, first batterys were flat after it sat 2 days plugged into shore power ( bower at pole fine ) They were drawing from whatever untill I found what was going on and I putt sistem on outside charger for 5-6 days now, at 20 amps. Heart readouts show 12.6 V on both legs or instruments..GFIs there are 2 in basement have been tested as good.All breakers at both 2000 inverters are good.The panel between the inverters has several breakers, all seem OK. I was told there was a 300 amp fuse behind, but I could not see any. The 2 engine batterys are OK, dropped to 9 volt at first crank, then recovered.They should be replaced later.
The reason we did not know there was a problem was I never shut off the engine all the way back from NM.It has a 300 amp alternator, will drive just about anything. digital panel shows charging at 13-14 V .Yes still no DC without engine running, even where still plugged into shore power 50 amps.. so , I am still running outside charger. May need to buy another, that Sears unit must be very tired !...AS far as AC , fes its to the breaker in bedroom. there is a electro automatic switch under the sink that runs 2 long tube lights aside the mirror over the sink, it will turn only if i push thr contacts together, not at switch. WE have AC to most all points when generator is running ( shore power still plugged in ). If I have gen and enging running at same time . cutting engine will also kill gen set.?
The last Guy that checked it all out was mystified too, and he checked all units and plugs.... He points to the ECC box as the problem, which no one around here will even look at, lots of solid and flashing lights red and green , like Christmas. There are 22 dauther boards and all plug into mother board. Provost has the same system. The panel is about 3 foot high and 4 foot wide covered in black licite. Its mane function is to control switch function of Moolin switch panels all over the Coach, but , only the lighting function....b ut, maybe more ? Anyone out there know id the right guy , maybe the engineer who designed it ? I know there were several. CC can not guarrentee they can fix, but think so, well not me chasing 2199 miles. I will pay flight fare for anyone that can help. I even put an add in craigs list saying, first person or groupe to fix all, will get a 1,000 reward, think some College students might like to try, so far nothing.I am getting desperate, summer is fading away.....
Old 06-29-2015, 06:24 PM   #11

"Yes still no DC without engine running, even where still plugged into shore power 50 amps.. so , I am still running outside charger. "

I have had this condition. My rig has two 300A Class T fuses between the House batteries and the Inverter. One located in the battery compartment and one in the inverter electrical bay.

If one of those fuses have blown, you will not have DC current from/to the House Batteries. Marine Stores and Solar Stores carry them. Also can be purchased from Amazon.

Robot Check
1995 CC Magna #5280
Old 06-29-2015, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
"Yes still no DC without engine running, even where still plugged into shore power 50 amps.. so , I am still running outside charger. "

I have had this condition. My rig has two 300A Class T fuses between the House batteries and the Inverter. One located in the battery compartment and one in the inverter electrical bay.

If one of those fuses have blown, you will not have DC current from/to the House Batteries. Marine Stores and Solar Stores carry them. Also can be purchased from Amazon.

Robot Check
the drawings show the 2 fuses for my coach, in their words "electrical Bay, first Bay door ,pass side" I have never seen any of these large fuses, anywhere on my coach/?
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #13

Im not totally familiar with your coach but these systems are usually similar. I know the gen needs 12 volts to run and when the engine is running the bat relay is engaged and the alt is also providing voltage which would indicate the house bats are dead or not connected if the gen dies when the engine is removed from the equation. The 110 should not be that hard to troubleshoot. With a non contact tester chase the power from transfer switch to inverter then to panel. I would check the chassis relay for current from battery to inverter. The symptoms you describe lead me to be suspect of the inverter charger and internal switching relay. You indicate all the places that don't have power but im more interested in where you do have power and where does it stop. Low voltages will make all kinds of things act weird so I usually ignore them until I identify the problem. I like troubleshooting electrical but I understand its not fun if you feel stranded.
Rod
Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
the drawings show the 2 fuses for my coach, in their words "electrical Bay, first Bay door ,pass side" I have never seen any of these large fuses, anywhere on my coach/?

Well, my buddy has a 2007 Affinity and has the same fuses. He, like me, now carries a spare.

So CC used them for at least 12 years.

The fuses are in line with the big red battery cables running from inverter to battery.

1995 CC Magna #5280

Tags
power, shore power