Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 04:25 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post

That's a pretty broad statement.

So you don't think they've made some improvements overs the years.

NOPE! If you really believe that they have I've got some really great land in Florida for sale - cheap!

I know one is too many but do you even know how many MH fires were actually caused by the Norcold fridges.

Read THIS post by Jeff Etter who is the main litigant in the Norcold Class Action Suit.The figure back then (2014) was over 2500 fires. You may gleam more information if your read the entire thread.

Ours works great, gets so cold we need to turn it down to the #6 setting after a few days, then it is 35 degrees in the fridge and 0 degrees in the freezer. Our residential fridge in the house runs about the same temps, and is sitting inside a nice cool house. Not a POC in my opinion.
Glad that yours is working satisfactory for you. Many others do not share the same opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Glad that yours is working satisfactory for you. Many others do not share the same opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
But most of us do. That is why we point out that the Norcolds work well enough for most people and do not require the electrical upgrades needed for a compressor type refrigerator. Given the normal house battery capacity of most RV's it is a disservice to sell them on a compressor.

As far as the class action suit goes if it went per the normal path Jeff might have gotten his loss, the average person who signed on got a few cents on the dollar, the lawyers made a small fortune and the next round of consumers got the bill. Most of us would be better off if Norcold's bean counters had put a few more cents back in the product instead.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #31

Well, I'll chime in with my $.02, specifically on the Norcold 1200.

First, I want to be clear that I feel Thetford has, and continues, to put peoples lives in jeopardy. They have a product that they know was defective in manufacturing. Instead of doing the right thing and identifying what was needed to correct it properly, then recalling and doing so, they came out with one Mickey Mouse recall 'fix' after another. The company put profit over lives. --- I have zero respect for Thetford and how this has been handled....

The 1200 in our coach, on my dime, had the following modifications before I would leave it running:
-Amish Cooling Unit
-Extra rear cooling fans
-SS30 Halon Extinguisher in cabinet behind the fridge
-Smoke/Fire Detector in cabinet behind the fridge
-Inside cooling fans to aid in air circulation

If I had kept the 1200, I would have installed the ARP modification. Actually, not a bad idea for any propane fridge.

I went thru all this because we wanted to retain the ability to use propane for in case of emergency. Not wanting to run the generator, and consuming more fuel then needed. (In Southern California, we looked at our coach as our emergency prep lifeboat. Fires, earthquakes, post 9/11 too. We keep it stocked, and ready at all times.)

But after moving to Solar Panels, and a larger battery bank, and traveling to Alaska and back with many, many days of boon docking - we knew we had oversized out battery bank and solar system to handle a residential fridge.

So when the Norcold again started acting up, and it looked like we were going to need to replace the controller - we tossed it and went the Samsung route.

More capacity, better cooling. Zero downside to this change over...

I wish those with remaining at risk 1200's well. Hope they have understood the risks, and done all that they reasonably can to counter this risk.

Each must, and still legally can, make their own decisions on what they want to do.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold