Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
MuddyPaws. It's getting fixed. Problem was in the board. It works fine in LP mode, but when it switches to AC it codes out. I'm getting that replaced next week. My interest in residential comes from a couple of other absorption units that I have had in the past in a TT and fifth wheel (both Dometics) that just didn't seem to get cold enough, especially out here in the AZ desert. I will start them a couple of days before leaving, and they never got very cold, and then when we got up to higher elevations and cooler climes, they would work great. I'm just wondering if in the long run, switching to a residential for our hot temps out here might be better. I did not know that a stand alone inverter has to be installed also. That starts to elevate the cost. There aren't many that will fit in the space we have also, and we are at the mercy of only a couple of makers, so maybe living with the absorption unit will be better in the long run. My tech says that there is no reason the one that we have in our new to us unit won't get really cold. It has the fans retrofitted so we'll just have to see.

HavasuRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavasuRed View Post
MuddyPaws. It's getting fixed. Problem was in the board. It works fine in LP mode, but when it switches to AC it codes out. I'm getting that replaced next week. My interest in residential comes from a couple of other absorption units that I have had in the past in a TT and fifth wheel (both Dometics) that just didn't seem to get cold enough, especially out here in the AZ desert. I will start them a couple of days before leaving, and they never got very cold, and then when we got up to higher elevations and cooler climes, they would work great. I'm just wondering if in the long run, switching to a residential for our hot temps out here might be better. I did not know that a stand alone inverter has to be installed also. That starts to elevate the cost. There aren't many that will fit in the space we have also, and we are at the mercy of only a couple of makers, so maybe living with the absorption unit will be better in the long run. My tech says that there is no reason the one that we have in our new to us unit won't get really cold. It has the fans retrofitted so we'll just have to see.
A stand alone inverter is not necessary if your existing inverter will work. I had a 2000 watt inverter on my previous coach and it handled the residential fridge and all other necessary stuff (TV's, etc.) fine. My Allure has a 2800 watt inverter. On coaches with smaller inverters, some folks do install a second inverter dedicated to the residential fridge (usually 1000 watts) but it is not absolutely necessary. Your CC probably has at least a 2000 watt inverter and that should be fine.

When I was pondering the switch on our previous coach, I had a number of pro-absorption fridge folks try to talk me out of it. When we finally did the switch, we wondered why we waited so long. Cold beer, hard ice cream and no spoiled food due to poor and uneven cooling in the Norcold. And no worries about the Norcold setting the coach on fire.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Simple mods

I've been to Havasu and image to agree. It gets beastly hot there.

But there are some simple things you can to to help the system cool better.

The simplest and cheapest is the ' Muddypaws Mod'. Search for it on this forum. It will 'fool' the refrigerator into 'thinking' it needs more cooling. Itmonly works on refers wiere the thermistor clips directly onto the fins. This is the only thing I've done to mine and it runs VERY cold, -18 in the freezer and and in the low 30's in the refer. But I don't live where it gets up to 104 every day for weeks on end.

Check out www.snipthetip.com for an adjustable thermistor.

3 or 4 computer fans mounted above the refer forcing air out the upper vent has been very successful for lots of people. Might cost you 30-40 bucks and some elbow grease. Some very good ideas and pictures can be found on this forum.

A battery operated fan blowing on the fins might help. You can find a disk drive cooler modified to clip onto the fins on eBay for under $20. Also helps with frost buildup.

Good luck & Happy Camping!
Russ

Does Havasu still have that old bowling alley downtown? The one with the lanes about 60% of regulation length? I bowled good there!

Tags
fridge, norcold, refrigerator