Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Norcold Refrigerator

I have a 2005 Allure with a Norcold fridge, single freezer over fridge, and I keep getting "coded" on the display. It seems to work ok at shop after they reset it, then when I get it home and plug it in, I get that code on the display. The display says "no co" with an audible beeping sound. t has been "serviced" and burner and flew cleaned, an my tech thought he had it yesterday, but when I got it home, it coded again. I have to take it back today, but I don't think the tech has it figured out and will just reset it and let it run in his shop. Any thoughts?
HavasuRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #2

I just moments ago ordered a Samsung residential fridge to install in my coach. Just do not want to deal with the Norcold anymore.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I wish I could tell you something positive about your Norcold but I cannot. I will say we replaced the Norcold in our previous coach with a Frigidaire residential and a residential fridge was a 'must-have' when we were recently looking to trade up. The Allure has an Amana residential and we would never again have a Norcold or any absorption fridge.

Perhaps the controller board is bad? Does it do this on both AC and LP?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #4

I would love to eventually go with a residential, but unlike your Allure where there is room for a res. my allure is the short one and it only has room for a 9 cubic feet fridge. So I think I'm stuck with doing the best I can with an absorption fridge.

Funny you should mention the control panel. He has found that it codes when it switches from lp to ac and thinks it might be the control panel.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavasuRed View Post
I would love to eventually go with a residential, but unlike your Allure where there is room for a res. my allure is the short one and it only has room for a 9 cubic feet fridge. So I think I'm stuck with doing the best I can with an absorption fridge.

Funny you should mention the control panel. He has found that it codes when it switches from lp to ac and thinks it might be the control panel.
I believe Dinosaur boards are popular and reliable replacements for many RV appliances. In the event you do decide to go residential, there are likely a number of options. A 9 cu ft. Norcold is probably the same size 'box' as a 16 cu ft residential. For example, on our Journey, the 4 door Norcold was a 12 cu ft and we replaced it with a 18 cu ft Frigidaire. It was almost a perfect fit. There are probably apartment size residentials that will fit your space easily.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I found on my Norcold 1200 refrigerator if it is not relatively level the NoCo will come up and I have to reset the board. Could you need a different tech?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

You don't say what model fridge you do have but if your coach has the NotSoCold 1200 4 door fridge currently then there is a 15 cu ft. Frigidaire that will fit into the same opening without any modifications.

Frigidaire FFHT1513L 14.8 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator with 2 Sliding Wire Shelves, Store-More Gallon Door Bins, Full-Width Freezer Rack and Ready-Select Controls

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pages 21-37-38 covers your problem in what I think is your fridge in this link.
If no gas I would think tech would have checked the gas valve in back of fridge is on before even starting to chase problem as far as electric the element could be defective but he was cleaning for gas operation.
There is a 5 amp fuse on control board that has to be good for electric operation when the AUTO mode is selected.
If you read the link at least you will know what he should be looking for when you visit again.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for your help. It is a Norcold 1095. It is 59 7/8" by 23 1/2" wide and 24" deep. There probably is an apt type that might fit, something around 11 cubic feet. I'm going to research. In the meantime, to get us going now, I'm going to pass on this info, and maybe I can get it going enough to see us through some end of summer trips.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Check Haier refers, they make apartment size ones that are an almost direct replacement for our Dometic NDR 1062 which is about 9 c.f. Other manufacturers make apartment size units also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #11

I have a question for you all regarding a residential. This may be stupid, but having had a fifth wheel in the past, this never came up-----when you are underway, do you have to have the generator running or do they run off of the inverter?
Old 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Inverter

They generally run off a stand alone inverter in the 400 watt range.

I fail to see the wisdom of replacing a refer simply because there's a loose connection or some other easily solvable problem somewhere. If you are not capable of following the troubleshooting guide (in the files section on this site or from Norcold's site, or google 'Norcold 1095 troubleshooting') try a different tech/shop.

My advice is that you open up the back and take the cover off the control board and ONE BY ONE remove every single connector on the board. Look for anything on the connectors. Take the fuses out and check them with a multi-meter. Check the resistance of the heater elements with a multi meter and move the wires to them around to make sure one of them is not open or shorted.

A dino board (if you really need one) will set you back around $120. A residential, cabinet modifications, stand alone inverter, and perhaps 2 more batteries to support it will ding you well over $1000.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #13

Haier refrigerators

Stay away from Haier. We paid a lot of money for a wine chiller nearly a year ago and they won't even send a tech to listen to the constant noises in this thing. Always willing to listen to our complaints but their warranty is a useless piece of paper.

I know it's only one example but their consumer support is useless.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your help. It is a Norcold 1095. It is 59 7/8" by 23 1/2" wide and 24" deep. There probably is an apt type that might fit, something around 11 cubic feet.
May have to trim width out a little more with a 10.3 cu ft Haier
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold, refrigerator