Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Oil Leaking from Overflow tube?

I have a small amount of light oil leaking from an overflow tube just behind the front bumper. In the picture it's where the yardstick is, and you can see some puddled oil on the floor directly below it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front overflow tube oil leak.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	73991

I've caught about 1.5 oz. in a pan. I had the A/C compressor replaced 2 weeks ago and I was wondering if it might be some sort of oil from that recharge process? It dripped for about 3 days after I parked it then stopped. The small amount in the picture is what dripped out after having pulled out to wash.

Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #2

Could it be coolant from your Generator?

Oil from the generator?

Does the drip occur when the dash AC is running? If oil from the dash AC system you would likely have no cooling at all because the 134a would be all gone?

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #3

Compressor is at other end.

Was anything done near the spot?

Get under and use SMALL flashlight to follow the trail.

Large light makes everything bright and having smsll spot like pocket mag light makes following trails easier.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #4

It's not from the Generator, its about 8 inches outboard (towards the entry door) and well clear of the generator box.

Also, it's not a general unspecified leak. It's dripping from a length of hose that is obviously there as a conduit for something. The tube goes up into the area under the dash but I cannot find it looking inder there with the access panel removed.

I'll have to drive it some next week and see what it does with and without the dash A/C running.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:56 AM   #5

what type of jacks or slides?

Pump often in front.

Have helper operate them while you safely observe.

Also check all fluid levels.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #6

Nope, Air Leveling. Slides are hydraulic but pump/values/tank all back by water tank.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
When trying to determine a location or source of an oil leak consider these general ideas.
Leaks from a moving vehicle take two paths: down (gravity) and back wind. So carefully follow the trail up and forward.

Now determine the type of fluid. Hydraulic fluid can be pink, or tan in color. Most automatic trans fluid is still pink to red but that may also have changed. Brake fluid has a distinct smell that one can usually not mistake for hydraulic fluid.

You have in your vehicle power steering fluid, transmission fluid, sometimes hydraulic fluid for slides, brake fluid and oil in the A/C compressor. Go to the holding tanks for these fluids or dip sticks and get a small sample of the fluid and compare it to what you have on the ground. A/C compressor fluid is usually clear to light tan and a 20-30 weight viscosity. Once you determine the source you'll know what you are dealing with. Now it's a matter of determining the exact location of the source.

Keep in mind that a small leak will not usually show up as a low fluid condition in the tanks.

I realize I didn't tell you what you really wanted to hear but careful slow diagnosis following a step by step process will achieve results.

Let us know what you determine.

TeJay
Old 09-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #8

Im just guessing but could it be the condensate drain for the ac. Is it oil or just dirty water? Does it leak when the as is on?
Rod
Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #9

I would have guessed condensate drain as well, but it's definitely some sort of oil. Not very viscous, very clean, orange in color. Still need to run it a while to see if it stops or continues, and .. if the A/C continues to work.

Good suggestion from TeJay to compare with other known fluids to see what matches. I'll try that tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #10

Just another guess. If the evaporator were leaking and we know there is some oil in the ac system for lubrication I wonder if it would leak oil and then drain out the condensate line. I suppose the ac would not work since there would also be a loss of refrigerant. You will have to post your actual findings.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
The A/C oil is contained within the unit and circulates with the freon. The oil is clear and not very thick. It's probably on the range of 5 to 10 viscosity and there is only a small amount maybe 2 to 3 OZ.

If you have a freon leak the oil will come out with the freon. The unit will still cool but as the freon level drops so will the cooling effectiveness.

If the oil is leaking from the compressor area it's most common to be leaking from the front seal. The compressor will need to be replaced. If the hose that you referred to earlier is very solid (can't be compressed with your fingers) it's probably a high pressure A/C line.

TeJay
Old 09-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #12

Orange is the color of the oil I recently added to my Dash OTR system.

My system requires 5 oz of Pag 40 oil with its 80 oz of 134a refrigerant.

However, the oil is usually added to the compressor at the rear engine. So when ultimately distributed throughout the 80+ feet of lines, two evaporators, two dryers and the condensing fans, it should not be concentrated so that it would drip 2 oz or 40% of the volume with a 134A leak. But perhaps anything is possible.

On my rig the only component at the dash is the front evaporator. The front AC Dryer is located back at the compressor area.

The condensate tube for the front roof AC exits at the driver side front wheel.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #13

The hose is clear yarn reinforced hose.

It will be next week before I will drive it for a couple hours to see if the A/C cools or if it leaks more. I'll report back in a week from today.

deandec's comment about the orange oil reinforces my thinking it's from the A/C system. Could oil be leaking from the evaporator thru what has to be a condensate drain? That would mean that Freon would have to be leaking from the system as well? If that's the case, in the process of recharging the system would the pressure be high enough to rupture something or dislodge a hose in the evaporator to start the leak? Obviously I don't have more than a vague Idea how the A/C system works.

I suppose if it's loosing oil that will damage the new compressor? So If I run it and the cooling starts to diminish, I should stop using the A/C.

Sorry about rambling on here. I've just ask how many questions? You guys are great!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #14

If its a diesel, many diesels actualy have a crankcase vent tube. This vent tube releases hot oil vapor from the crank case. As the vapor condenses while cooling off, there wil be a drip of oil occationally. I solved the dripping by adding an aspirin bottle to the end of the tube and extending the tube to somewhere next to the frame that I could zip tie the bottle to. Remember, you can not seal the vent tube, you just provide a catch bottle to capture the condensed oil.
-Paul R. Haller-

Tags
leak