Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #1

OK Decision time

Two 36' coaches on the short list:

2001 Intrigue, mint but mostly original, single slide. Individual. 54K miles, garaged. Cummins 350

2006 Inspire, three slides, not so mint but pretty good. Dealer 24K miles. Full body paint, Cat C9

Former CC was 1998 Allure single slide. The Intrigue is very similar, advantage I am really familiar with almost all aspects of this coach.

$25K difference in price.

Your thoughts?
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Both should serve you well. Some thoughts:
-The C9 will have more HP/Torque then the ISC. So if pulling anything with weights, and or climbing hills, nod to the Inspire. Toss the C9 should have Jake Compression, vs Exhaust Brake assist. Another nod to the Inspire.
-If planned for full timing, or extensive travels - 3 slides are more livable then 1 slide - another nod Inspire.
-The era of the Intrigue, was IMO a time where more attention to detail, and craftsmanship were put into the coach. So a nod to Intrigue. (Not saying 06 Inspires were not well built, but again, a different time at CC.)
-The Inspire will have a newer more modern interior design. If that matters. (No nod, as it what matters to you.)
-Intrique's of that era, had what many call the 'Classic CC' look. Yep, no paint, but very forgiving color for light accumulation of the elements clinging on. Sure, sometimes some peeling will kick in. Also the lighter colors handle the heat gain easier the coaches painted that might have darker paint schemes. Traveling in hotter regions, thats a bennie too.
-The Inspire is painted, so if that matters to you...
-Like that the Intrigue was garaged.
-For that much money less, you can do lots of customization to the lower price coach. (Or, have good emergency fund!)
-You being familiar with the Intrigue layout, is a benefit on the learning curve of a new coach. And probably a more 'KISS' approach to components in the Intrigue.
-How about house batteries and inverter? Is the 06 Inspire with PSW vs MSW inverter?
-Is the 'dealer' one of the better resell dealers, that knows CC's? Is it in on consignment, vs from a trade in and or auction? If it's a dealer that knows CC's, and has a good and reputable repair shop. Perhaps negotiate the sale to include 100hrs of Shop Time at Shop Rate (Say if normal is $110 per hour, Shop Rate would be probably in the $75-80hrs range.), this way you could go thru the coach and have them bring anything not exactly where it should be, back up to snuff.
-Does one coach have a more modern electronics package upgraded into it, over the other? Fridge size differences? Residential vs 3 Way? Tank Capacity size, is one coach superior then the other? Age of batteries, tires - between one and the other? Etc.

And if you have been looking, you probably know that those size coaches carry a premium price, and good ones seem to move fast.

Best of luck to you, have fun whichever way you go!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #3

We have an 06 Inspire and love it for the price point.
1. check to see if it has a wet PTO.
http://www.jdrv1.com/sitebuildercont...s/pto-101a.pdf
I have a C-9 so far so good. Get something like the Silverleaf to keep an eye on the motor and trans.
Big difference in 3 slides and one slide.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Owning a two slide '02 Intrigue, I would not upgrade to an '06 Inspire. Being coach-less and looking, I would probably go for the Inspire just because of the extra slide
Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #5

the Intrigue in "Mint" condition probably means it was well maintained. 3 slides could mean 3 times the potential problems.
3 slides adds more weight and is harder to heat and cool, so I have heard. I just spent $1,400 replacing a RAM in a 2,000 intrigue, though 3 slides gives a lot of space.
stonegully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

The main thing I don't like about the Intrigue is the kitchen slide. Not only does it provide less room than the great room slide but also you are moving plumbing, never a great idea.

The other issue for us is the rig will spend a lot of time sitting not great for diesels. Looking at gassers in the 30 foot two slide range, trying to avoid Ford chassis because the last one we had rode terrible. And I do mean terrible. Their trucks ride better. Also I understand workhorse has longer wheelbase and get better mileage.

Note we are looking pre 2010 coaches here.

Lot of good feedback here, thank you all very much.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainecoons View Post

The other issue for us is the rig will spend a lot of time sitting not great for diesels.
I know that Diesel fuel can grow algae when sitting for long periods, but gasoline can clog up a carburetor also with varnish.

What else happens to a Diesel engine when sitting for long periods like construction equipment or farm tractors do?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:

The other issue for us is the rig will spend a lot of time sitting not great for diesels.
Hmmmm I wonder how farmers have been doing it all these years
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

I believe there is a additive for algae.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #10

This sure looks interesting wish the timing was right!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-COUNTR...-/123761967289

Anybody in that area wants to have a little fun checking this one out?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #11

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I think that awning arm in front of the door would make me crazy. Or rip my scalp off. Or both.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean n Steve View Post
I think that awning arm in front of the door would make me crazy. Or rip my scalp off. Or both.
If you look closely at the pictures, there are rails on the side of the coach that allow the arms to be raised so they are no longer "Head Knockers".

Whoever staged the photo apparently did not know their purpose.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
This sure looks interesting wish the timing was right!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-COUNTR...-/123761967289
I'm absolutely shocked this did not sell. Now I'm wondering if there are problems with it.This is a rare bird, full body paint AND two slide Allure. Only apparent downer is old TVs but I've already done that conversion on a '98 Allure and it is pretty easy.

I would think the asking price, $58,900 was definitely in the ball park for this coach. Am I wrong?

BTW we loved the ZipDee awnings on our '98 Allure and had no problem with the arms. Could tilt it for better wind protection and rain drainage.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
If you look closely at the pictures, there are rails on the side of the coach that allow the arms to be raised so they are no longer "Head Knockers".

Whoever staged the photo apparently did not know their purpose.
Many owners don't know the arms should go up... Have seen it in RV parks all the time
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote