Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #1

Ordered the Wax fan controller from source engineering any advice?

After my embarrassing experience with a dust cloud in a camp ground last year, I ordered the updated wax fan controller for my 2000 Allure. I was curious if anyone had any advice on the installation. I have a 330 cummins isc.

I was also told that I can install the wax controller into my radiator if my radiator had an unused bung that was installed by the manufacturer. Has anyone done this?

thanks for the help, I can't wait to get this done!
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #2

I had a Wax Controller installed and the results indicate a lower reading all the time. Glad it finally was changed. The radiator and charge where changed, looked like a lot of work
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #3

For anyone considering this option. I installed mine last week and just completed a 850 mile trip and this worked great. I rarely hear the fan like I used to. I checked my mileage and it showed that I got 9 mpg, but I need to check it a few more times to believe it. I really noticed when I use the exhaust brake. It used to be that when I was heading down hill that the trans would shift down and the fan would roar (and I mean roar) all the way down the hill. Now it is way quieter, its almost unbelievable.

I am also hoping that my gravel parking lot driving will be less dusty, but I have yet to try it.

The kit cost 700.00. It is expensive so it won't be an option for everyone, but it was worth it to me. Installation would be easy for all mechanical abilities and the guys at source engineering will walk you through every step so you are comfortable!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:41 PM   #4

I have an appointment on Monday 11/28 after the Thanksgiving Rally in Salem at Source Engineering to have the wax valve and Comfort Air Ride Valves installed.
My electronic control unit is still working but I know it will fail sooner or later. I am seeing different readings on my Silverleaf from last year, my temps are higher by 6-10deg on a grade but I can still hear the fan come on and my coolant is right where it should be.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:35 AM   #5

Installed one at source this past March. We usually camp at state parks and like you we were getting huge dust clouds. By the time we were parked the whole back end of the coach was dusty.
I went another step and removed the 80 thousands restrictor that they put in the hydraulic line to give a minimum fan speed at startup. We are sure to not run the dash a/c until we are up to operating temp.
After install we gained somewhere between .5 and 1 mpg. I usually average between 9.2 and 9.7 with no toad.
It has also helped with keeping my operating temp up. Before we were running at 176-178. Now without the fan running so fast we're at 184/186. Plus with no fan speed at startup we get to operating temp in less than 15 min.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
I had a Wax Controller installed and the results indicate a lower reading all the time. Glad it finally was changed. The radiator and charge where changed, looked like a lot of work
Wally, you and I have same coach. My ISL is the 425hp version. The folks at Cummins told me I had no separate fan controller, just the valve on the fan that controlled speed. They said that control of fan speed was via the engine ECM based on various parameters. When at CC in 2014, I asked them to check for proper operation of my fan and they confirmed it was working as designed.

Mine does seem to have two speeds.... fast and faster! And I do leave a horrendous dust cloud when moving thru any RV park with dusty roads.

Also, sounds like you got unlucky and had the famous radiator leak. My radiator is still OK but I am holding my breath. If I ever have to replace the radiator and CAC, I would look into the wax valve.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #7

Yeah, it was a lot of $$$$ however, being in JC instead of the middle of nowhere was a plus. Of course there is the extended warranty people who wiggled out of paying, another story. Their seems to be a abundance of snake oil salesman that surrounds the RV industry.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Installed one at source this past March. We usually camp at state parks and like you we were getting huge dust clouds. By the time we were parked the whole back end of the coach was dusty.
I went another step and removed the 80 thousands restrictor that they put in the hydraulic line to give a minimum fan speed at startup. We are sure to not run the dash a/c until we are up to operating temp.
After install we gained somewhere between .5 and 1 mpg. I usually average between 9.2 and 9.7 with no toad.
It has also helped with keeping my operating temp up. Before we were running at 176-178. Now without the fan running so fast we're at 184/186. Plus with no fan speed at startup we get to operating temp in less than 15 min.

This is great advice! I was wondering if I could do that too. I rarely use my dash AC so if that is the only negative effect with removing the restrictor, then I might remove it as well
Old 11-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

John,
The only other possible reason would be your CAC. I always take it easy on acceleration until I get up to operating temp. Which you should do anyways. With that restrictor out my fan starts moving at 176.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #10

John,
The only other possible reason would be your CAC. I always take it easy on acceleration until I get up to operating temp. Which you should do anyways. I've never had a warning light come one. With that restrictor out my fan starts moving at 176.

Tags
advice, engine, fan