Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ouch! Bruised my coach.

On the way home from a weekend with family, pulled into a place that I have used many times to fill up. The diesel islands are a bit hard to get into due to limited approach space. Today there was a small truck parked in a way that limited my ability to swing wide to get completely parallel to the pumps. I hesitated but both I and DW said, "we will fit." We did fit but with coach at an angle in the space.

I filled up and carefully inspected my exit options, deciding that if I pulled forward for the entire length of the coach without turning the wheel, we would clear the concrete filled poles protecting the pumps. Wrong .

Bad judgement on my part...I thought of asking DW to get out and spot me but she was busy doing something with the dogs and so I just eased forward. Just as I thought I had cleared the obstructions, I felt a tug . DW got out and said, "you can't move and you need to come check the damage."

I swiped one of the poles with the left rear compartment door. The door is toast, IMO. Another fellow there saw my plight and, after unhooking the toad so I could back up a bit, guided me out with no further damage.

There seems to be no structural damage other than to the door and the aluminum trim inside at the bottom that holds the weather strip. I will need a bit of paint work to fender gizmo and belt line trim above the door. Important lesson learned. If you gotta ask yourself if you can fit into a space, find another space.

I will be calling State Farm tomorrow. This will cost me my deductible and my 'accident free' discount for the next year I am sure.

The good news is we will be leaving on June 7 for a 3 month trip which will include a visit to the CC factory. I am thinking they will be the best place to get the work done since they obviously will be the source for the door. Also, we have an appointment at Summit RV Stainless in June to get four pieces of their trim replace (defective pieces) so I will be able to get the replacement for this piece I have now destroyed.

I'll also be calling CC tomorrow so they can have the door ready and waiting. I am thinking it will have to be made to order.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Ouch for sure. So sorry for you and I thank you for posting this for others.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Backed into one of those "darn yellow poles" with just the SUV. Trust me they don't move.

It could have been worse, like the rear cap could have been wacked....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #4

The door doesn't look that bad. Any body shop can do the work and probably at a much better price that the factory. You have a aluminum door, very easy to straighten out. Even the paint is an easy match.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #5

Sorry about the coach and you always take just great care of your coach. Once fixed it will be a past memory and just a lesson learned. Good Luck
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:33 AM   #6

Sorry for the pain, had some of those myself whilst I learn't how to handle this rig, I think you might be surprised what a good paint shop can do. Might be worth asking to get a skilled opinion. CC may have the doors with luck, but thats the one you modified too. They will also have the sikkens paint codes if you do not.
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #7

You have state farm? Have fun with that.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #8

Something that small you may be better off just paying out of pocket rather than losing your discount. Get an estimate before calling insurance. Just going by the picture any body man can fix that for a few hundred bucks. I have a buddy that's a body man.I have seen some of the stuff he has straightened out I swear he is a magician some times.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #9

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ouch is right. I'm always concerned about this as well. That is one of the reasons I use Pilot/Flying J as often as possible while on the road. At least I know there should be space for me.

I have seen small vehicles blocking the RV islands as well. Very aggravating, especially when they go inside for several minutes without following the common courtesy of pulling up.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I gotta agree with one of the posts. If it was my RV I think I'd pay out of pocket vs using State Farm claim. I'm betting a good shop could replace the skin and repaint under $1000. If you claim it with State Farm between the deductible and rate increases you could easily chew up that ammount.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:04 AM   #11

Sorry for your accident. I'm sure you have beat yourself up for this scrape. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Something that small you may be better off just paying out of pocket rather than losing your discount. Get an estimate before calling insurance. Just going by the picture any body man can fix that for a few hundred bucks. I have a buddy that's a body man.I have seen some of the stuff he has straightened out I swear he is a magician some times.

I have to agree. I had a door that was bent and needle two colors of paint from the previous owner. Cost me around $ 600 to repair door and a few hundred more for paint plus he fixed some other paint stuff. Door itself would have been $1200 unpainted.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the tips. I do plan to call my State Farm agent and let them have their adjuster write an estimate. If the estimate is less or near my deductible, I will not ask them to do the repair but will pay for all of it myself. I have never had a problem with State Farm in the nearly 45 years I have used them.

It is hard to see in the pic but I am not sure the door can be straightened well enough. I has a couple of ripples in the metal around the door handle. I also have a friend who owns a body shop and he can certainly do the repairs so I have that option.

It will depend on what CC wants for a new door and what kind of estimate I get from SF. We leave for our trip soon and I don't have time to get the coach to my friend for an estimate before we leave. Depending on the cost of the door, I may just get the door when I am in Oregon and let my friend install it and do the paint work when we get back in late August.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
New Door I would say. My premium tripled. If you can get a used one I would do it and bite the bullet as they will raise your rate. This cost 3500 and I should have just paid it as I would be ahead. My stupidity not thinking how sharp this thing turns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	63970   Click image for larger version

Name:	wreck`.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	63971  

KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote