Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #1

Overheating big time

Installed a TS Performance "chip" and drove to a mountain pass where we instantly overheated to 237 degrees and our C9 did the automatic shut-down in the middle of the pass. After 45 minutes and dialing the chip back to zero gain I was able to continue. Coming home it overheated even at zero gain setting and we had to stop many times turning a 3 hour trip into 8. TS claims their part has nothing to do with the fan, but I don't see it turning. Warped thermostat, hydraulic fluid level, ???

Doug at aaamarine.com
2005 Allure 430 C9 Cat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #2

Radiator side or rear, lots of dirt/road grime sucked into these. Pressure wash radiator after each trip when washing or at least each annual service.
You could have other problems, but a clean radiator can run 10 plus cooler.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Check the ECM for error codes. You could also have a bad fan controller
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #4

Thanks Don, but how do I check the ECM for error codes?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

If you have a side radiator with hydraulic cooling fan you could suspect the fan controller. The fan controller has 3 sensors, one for the charge air cooler, one for engine coolant and one on the dash air conditioner compressor. The first 2 are essentially thermistors while the latter one is a pressure switch.

You could have faulty sensors in the air stream and engine coolant and the FCU doesn't know to run the hydraulic motor faster. I've never heard of the pressure switch failing and what might cool you down is to turn on your dash air conditioning. If the switch is working, the FCU will kick the cooling fan on high speed and you should see the temperature dropping in just a few minutes.

I had the air stream sensor and coolant sensor go out and I overheated on a 70 degree day running on flat ground.

If turning on the dash air conditioning doesn't help, you can try unplugging the FCU. The default on the FCU with no power is to run the fan on high speed. Of course, you will pay a fuel penalty running the fan on high all the time but at least it will get you home.

You can also check the Yahoo CC owners group for information on this problem.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Allure has side radiator w/the Sauer-Danfoss fan controller. At idle you should be turning maybe 800 rpm on the fan, and as Pete says, unplug the controller & you should see fan speed up to full. Could be bad controller, but the chipping experience sounds suspicious.
You'll not in the PDF there are a lot of potential connectors depending on configuration. Use the photo to identify the part on your rig (hint: you can follow the 1/4" hydraulic hoses from the fan motor in most cases & find the valve on the side of the electronic controller), and try the unplug-the-harness diagnostic.
At 237, I doubt you cooked anything.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Check the ECM for error codes. You could also have a bad fan controller
Don't know about checking error codes on a Cat so a call to Cat would be in order. Also not sure if the '05 C9 uses all of the sensors(A/C, coolant, air intake) that a Cummins does. Somewhere in that era, the single output of the ECM controls the Sauer Danfoss fan controller..
Old 08-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

I appreciate your help, Don. My last rig had a 400 Cummins which is MUCH easier to operate than this C9 Cat. I did unplug the larger connection and the fan ran higher than I've ever seen it run, but with the plug together-no fan at all. My fluid level is OK. The VMS shows "no fault", and I don't know where to go from here.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #9

Doug, as I mentioned, on my CAT C10 I have three sensors. You can test the sensors by checking the resistance of the sensors at the fan control plug. I can't remember right now which connections go to which sensor but I will search my files because that's what I had the CAT technician do. Both my air sensor and my coolant sensors showed as on open circuit. I'll also look to see the sensor part numbers I used to replace the bad ones.

Hang in there, I'm sure others will jump on with help and may beat me back.

Should you need to drive the coach before you get this problems solved, you can remove the fuse to the fan controller as that works the same as disconnecting the plug. Or as I did at the suggestion of someone on the Yahoo CC owners forum, wire a switch in series with the fuse, put the switch up by the drivers seat and you can cycle the fan from low to high. I played fan controller all the way down from Illinois to Florida last year before I got my sensors replaced.
2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 08-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #10

If you download the publication that EngineerMike linked to, you will see pin outs for all of their controllers. I scanned the pages quickly and it looks like for all 6 pin connectors, pins C&D, and E&F are connected to the temperature sensors.

You can check the resistance between each of these two pairs on the fan controller plug. You should get a resistance in excess of 800 ohms if the sensors are not hot. If the sensors test bad, the part numbers are 10901074 for the air sensor and 1090173 for the coolant sensor. I ordered mine from Berendsen Fluid Power in Marietta, Georgia (770-419-3430). There is a connector kit that you should probably purchase also just in case you damage the existing connectors when you remove the old sensors. I think I paid about $85 for the two sensors and connector kits. If you go to the Berendsen website http://http://www.bfpna.com/location...sp?country=USA you will see they have locations around the country.

The sensors information can be downloaded from http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/stellen...ln-95-9063.pdf

If your sensors test good then I suspect your fan controller is bad and will need to be replaced. You will need the serial number off of the old controller before ordering the new one. These controllers are programmed for a specific engine/cooling system set up and the serial number determines which programmed unit you have.

2006 Jeep Liberty