Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
TTD

Overnight campground on 64 in Virginia?

Hey all,

Anyone have a spot they've stayed at - or know of a safe Walmart or other quick place? I am hesitant to just wing it as I think this area is full of mountains and big hills, so don't want to get stuck going too far off the highway.

I have my trip to Florida planned out except for one night.

I will be taking 81South and then 64East.

Anywhere from Harrisonburg, VA to the Charlottesville, VA area would work out good time wise.

I am 45 feet pulling a car - and will be travelling alone - so would like something real easy. Nothing fancy needed as it's just a stop over to sleep.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
Hey all,

Anyone have a spot they've stayed at - or know of a safe Walmart or other quick place? I am hesitant to just wing it as I think this area is full of mountains and big hills, so don't want to get stuck going too far off the highway.

I have my trip to Florida planned out except for one night.

I will be taking 81South and then 64East.

Anywhere from Harrisonburg, VA to the Charlottesville, VA area would work out good time wise.

I am 45 feet pulling a car - and will be travelling alone - so would like something real easy. Nothing fancy needed as it's just a stop over to sleep.
Not a lot of good options on 64 east from 81. None of the Walmarts on that route allow overnight or have small, congested lots. There is Misty Mountain rv park near Charlottesville but not sure about big rig easy access.

If you could get as far as just west of Richmond at Short Pump, there is a Cabela's on West Broad St with rv parking and a dump station. Get off 64 at the Rockville exit, turn right onto Ashland road, left at the stop light onto Broad St and the Cabela's (big Wegmans there too) will be at third stoplight on left. RV parking on left side of the store.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #3

Walnut Hills

We just stayed at Walnut Hills campground the other weekend. It's just a bit south of the turn to 64 east on 81 but easy access off the highway. Great RV park. Reasonable rates. If not, there is a Wal-Mart right at the 81/64 split. Rest Areas along 81 are not RV friendly. You get to try to parallel park in the few tractor trailer spaces. There are a few decent Pilots and a TA before you hit the split too.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #4
TTD

Thank you both... I will look closely at these options.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I didn't mention Walnut Hills since I did not think you would want to get off your intended route. It's not far from the I81/I64 connection but it is a bit further south on 81. Also, I did check reviews of the Stanton Walmart on RVParky and one reviewer in July claimed the store manager told them no overnight parking but others claim to have stayed with no issue.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #6

Check out the Shenandoah Valley CG in Verona, VA. Not too far off 81 and prior to 64.

Why are you taking 64 if going to Florida. It seems like the long way around. We continue down 81 to 77 to 26 to 95. There are lots of possible stops on that route. We're 45' and towing a stacker.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Haven't been to the area for years but I would recommend downloading the mobile app 'RV Parky'. It provides you with Walmart, campgrounds and fuel stops. Wish it gave Cabela, CrackerBarrel, Lowes, etc. where over night accommadations are available. It also provides fuel stops so I use it to plan out my trips.

Stay safe - Richard
Old 10-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Haven't been to the area for years but I would recommend downloading the mobile app 'RV Parky'. It provides you with Walmart, campgrounds and fuel stops. Wish it gave Cabela, CrackerBarrel, Lowes, etc. where over night accommadations are available. It also provides fuel stops so I use it to plan out my trips.

Stay safe - Richard
Richard, RVParky will show Cabela's and Cracker Barrell but not Lowe's or HOME DEPOT.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Pilot View Post
Why are you taking 64 if going to Florida. It seems like the long way around. We continue down 81 to 77 to 26 to 95. There are lots of possible stops on that route. We're 45' and towing a stacker.
I have a campground stay in Lumberton, NC that I have to use this year... seems like 64 gets me over there without too much extra.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
When you get to Richmond on 64 your options to connect to I95 S will be through downtown or get on 295 south. 295 south is a bit longer route but lets you avoid downtown congestion. 295 reconnects with 95S at Petersburg. Between 9am and 3pm straight through is usually fine.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #11
TTD

My plan was to take 288 south to go around Richmond center, which is on the West side of Richmond.

Any experience with that?
Old 10-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Please let us know what you eventually find!
Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #13
TTD

I'm leaning toward the Cabela's lot for Tuesday night of my trip.

I have campgrounds reserved for Mon, Wed, and Thurs nights - so this will be a nice break.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTD View Post
My plan was to take 288 south to go around Richmond center, which is on the West side of Richmond.

Any experience with that?
Actually that is a great choice. Basically either 288 or 295 gets you back to I95 South and avoids Richmond.

If you do Cabelas, you will take the Rockville/Manakin exit (173) to get to Cabelas. That is the last exit before the exit to 288 from I64. When you leave Cabelas, head back west on Broad St and you will be able to get on 288 from Broad St just past the Audi dealership. Actually you will pass by the Broad St. entrance to 288 as you are heading into Cabelas in the evening. I live about 3 miles from the Cabelas.

Plenty of great places to eat all around that area if you are hungry.

Tags
campground