Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #1

parking in garage

My garage has a 12 by 12 foot overhead door. 40ft 3" depth. The trim height is 11ft 10inch tall. The intrigue is 40ft and 12 ft 1" tall with full air. Can i dump air and drive this motothome in? benchrest

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds too tight to me. And once you dump air, doesn't it start pumping those bags back up as soon as you start the engine back up? Others on this forum could comment better on that.

My rig is 42 and the garage is 50 and even with that I'm sometimes having problems getting it centered. Nothing too serious, I have too much junk! But the idea of having to deal with 3" difference on clearance is a bit daunting.

You obviously know your situation the best, but IMHO, your too tight on the dimensions.

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #3

Just planing a move without a crash

I think i can dump air and hold the dump air down button and drive into the garage. But ? is while its parked all air will be gone when i start it up to leave . Can i start the motor and hold the dump air down and build up air to release the parking brake ? Meaning being going into garage low and and getting out low . Benchrest
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchrest View Post
My garage has a 12 by 12 foot overhead door. 40ft 3" depth. The trim height is 11ft 10inch tall. The intrigue is 40ft and 12 ft 1" tall with full air. Can i dump air and drive this motothome in? benchrest
have you physically measured your MH length/height or are you going by a brochure/spec sheet? I'd be very leery about this. First, simply changing tires could affect height slightly. Second, even if you did attempt to measure the MH, I would think you would have a hard time getting it accurate to more than a couple inches. You have no room to spare. If it were me, I wouldn't even consider putting that MH in that garage. 19 of 20 times that you park it might work out but that one time when something happens is going be very costly.

I'd be tempted, too, but before I even tried it I think I'd consider trading for a slightly smaller MH, maybe a 38 footer. Plus, do you have a Kingdome? Those things add unnecessary height. Consider either going to their low profile version or upgrade to HD, which fold down when not in use. Is there any way to modify the door to get another 3-4 inches? If you don't change MH's or modify the door to increase clearance, I'm afraid you will modify it the hard way. I assume you are not married because this sounds like something the DW would say "NO WAY!" to. There is a reason they are called the better half. Imagine that 1 in 20 event and hearing "I told you so" from DW for the next 10 years.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have a tight fit, 11ft10 door and 11ft7 Motorhome. To be safe I always dump the air before entering and it works fine..
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #6

One suggestion . . . videotape the entering & exiting . . . that way, if things go wrong, you can submit the tape to AFV and put the five or ten grand you win towards repairs!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken-55 View Post
One suggestion . . . videotape the entering & exiting . . . that way, if things go wrong, you can submit the tape to AFV and put the five or ten grand you win towards repairs!

or build a MOCK up of the door actual opening size from some 2x4's
then park on level ground, dump the bags and have a helper, help you walk the mock up across the coach nose to tail, where it SNAGS is where you will crunch the garage
cost you a whole lot less than roof or house damage
and maybe have a third spotter up on top to see it in person
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Have the DW lie on the roof, flat on her back, with a handie-talkie... dump the air and ease in...
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #9

Cheaper to raise the building...

If you bump your coach it will be very expensive to repair, you have very little room at the end and above, so unless you are very careful something is going to go wrong.

There is hope, depending on what you have to work with.

Is it possible to raise the building?

If it is sticks and wood it could be possible to cut the fasteners holding the shop down, jack it up carefully and insert additional 2X4 flat under the sills, each one gives 1.5 inches and do not reduce the strength, when done long anchors can be drilled through the whole assembly to reattach, there are folks who do this work and the cost may not be too much.

THe next task is adding the length, either adding another "ring" to the front where you just extend the walls and roof, or cutting a hole in the other end, that would require more structural work then bumping the front.

Now that I think about it...what is the lowest point INSIDE?

The rafters may be hugher than the door and you may be home free by cutting the hole larger
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #10

Is the approach to the garage dead level with the garage floor? If not, your clearance becomes less at some point on the roof (or rear ladder).

I'd either alter the garage to accomodate a taller door, if you have more ceiling height than door height, ( they come in 6" taller increments), or raise the building as mentioned by someone.

For added length to the building, is it possible to build an addition on the rear, maybe with a simple salt-box style roof?
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #11

back to basic ?

Can i start engine and build up air to release parking brake And keep the dump air button down and back out of garage ? Benchrest
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by benchrest View Post
Can i start engine and build up air to release parking brake And keep the dump air button down and back out of garage ? Benchrest
Why don't you try that in your driveway? I only have rear air bags on mine 12'2" Ride Height and 12'0" door at shop.

When we pull our friends Bounder in and out of the shop for service, we release the air brakes and dump the bags. The bounder ride height is 12' 4" and it clears the door by 3"

Paul
pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #13

Yes

Yes, you could do that, but why take that risk?

Everything else is just too close, if you are moving and you do not hold the button or the vlave does not open you are in trouble.

If your coach has air leveling instead of hydrolic then you may be able to work with HWH (whoever built the leveling system) to have it not return to ride height until a switch is flipped.

Depending on the rafters inside your building, you may risk the coach rising inside and striking them if you do a maintenance run while parked.

As others have stated, make a test frame with some 2x4 or 2x6 lumber, instead, have your coach at ride height and use the frame to determine the tallest part of the coach, have someone climb the back to guide you and build the frame square.

Once this is done you can add a couple inches to this measurement and that is what you will need for clearance in your building, if the rafters are not this high then you run great risk of damage, if they are higher then you are 1/2 way there.

If the end wall has vertical space then it is not that expensive to cut the hole taller, depending on the design of the building it may not be a supporting wall and real easy, if it is a supporting wall then a little more difficult, a licensed contractr can give suitable quotes, the cost still less than repairing your boo-boo.

Next is getting that last inch, with only 3 inches to spare you may have difficulty inching your coach in.

Suggest creating bolted down blocks to stop at just the right place, these can be determined by creating the blocks first, securing them outside and using them to stop your coach, then using the same process as before, create a frame (L shaped) to measure from the edge of the block to the front most part of your coach (whichever end goes in first), now you have the dimension to use inside your building.

Before moving the coach mark the ground with a line, not take the frame to the other end of the coach and find the farthest point, mark the ground there.

Move the coach and make sure it is less than 40'3".
Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #14

IT does not raise

I started the coach up and held down the dump button . It went down and stayed there as long as i held the dump button.The next job will be to make sure of hight on level ground. Thanks Benchrest