Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2018, 04:09 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Partial power outage

One leg of the 50 amp power is showing 0.00. One A/C and the electrical outlets are not working. No breakers in the AC panel were off. Daylight in about 30 minutes so I'll wait to go out and inspect the power pole. But if I have partial power an one AC is running I must be getting power from the pole. The other leg of the ac panel is showing 121. Thanks for any suggestions,
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2018, 04:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Yep, checking the outlet at the pedestal with a volt meter is the place to start.
My guess is that you're going to find the one of the legs doesn't have power.

A quick easy way to test your power cable and rig would be the plug in to 30amp with an adapter (which I'm assuming you have on board) to see if you now how power throughout the coach.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:24 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two breakers you need to cycle (turn off then back on). The shore breaker and the main breaker in the coach. These are the double 50 amp breakers that are tied together. The objective is if one trips it takes the other with it but sometimes it doesn't and you have a partial power loss. The breaker looks OK since the closed breaker is holding the tripped breaker in what looks like the closed position but it is actually tripped.

If this isn't your problem The you'll need a meter to start check at various points between the shore power and the coach breaker panel to see where it's dropped. Once quiet hours are over start the generator and test the dead half of the coach. If power is back then you just successfully tested from the automatic transfer switch forward into the coach.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:54 AM   #4

Thanks guys, I have the 30 amp adapter and I can reset the breakers. Its about an hour until quiet time is over and then I'll do the generator. I'll have to get park help to test the pedestal power. I'll let you know the outcome.
Air Force One braking
Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Curious what you find.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #6

You could also check the GFI outlet (in the coach) and make sure it's not tripped
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #7

My coach that should be exactly like yours (perhaps) will shut down and have no power if it doesn't see correct voltage on both legs. the surge protector cuts it off. Yours might be different.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:28 AM   #8

Went through the suggested tests. After the ATS shed some blue sparks while Butch Williams was on the phone with me, he said it was toast. so I have one ordered that is very close to the same dimensions. Should arrive in the morning and a tech is coming tomorrow to install. One task I'm not willing to tackle. Thanks for the suggestions I always learn something about the coach.
Air Force One braking
Old 06-21-2018, 07:16 AM   #9

Jack,
Good to hear the problem has been found. Too bad it is the ATS, but at least its not an electrical gremlin no one can explain. Just to add to what pumper said; the GFCI in our coach is under the dirty clothes hamper in the bedroom. When it trips most outlets will not work. We had that happen once and I thought I needed to replace the inverter!!!! Fortunately I discovered that GFCI before I pulled out the checkbook.
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Loose connections inside the transfer switch are the #1 killer of transfer switches. They loosen due to heat cycling.

Annually - with all power removed - open the transfer switch and snug up each wire connection.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #11

The ATS was the original in my coach, meaning about 18 or 19 years old. Also lots of miles. I was able to find an ESCO that fit the space within 1/2 inch on sale, got it next day air and still was less than the original price. Installation was $300 so got out for less than $600 and felt good. Inside the ATS was good except the ground wire was scorched and broken.
Air Force One braking

Tags
power