Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #1

Picking Up A 2002 Country Coach Magna

Hello all

Well I decided that im trading off my 2012 ram 2500 mega cab and picking up a 2002 country coach magna 37 foot with triple slide, tag axle with 505hp cat motor. From what i guess country coach didn't make many this short with 3 slides and 505 hp but I cant find much info about it.

I pick it up this Friday is there anything I need to really look at before I sign on the dotted line?
Im having my mid life crisis at 33 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	60696  
krazykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #2

Good looking coach. Do you get any records with it. Call the Cat Hot line with the serial # and see if anything has been done 1-877-777-3126.
I just had the valves adj on mine at 20k, check the age of the batteries, check the age of the tires 8 to 10 years max, check the roof around all seals then work your way down. Has the frig had the recall done mine had it BUT still had to install the Samsung 197 RR, one of my better moves.
This will be a way better ride than your Dodge
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

Hi 2 Stroker. What was the fridge recall in regards to? Did the 07 CC models need a fridge recall as well?

Congrats by the way to you Krazy. Nice looking coach.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Have you heard about all the refer fires? The fires usually end up totaling the coach. Most of the problems are with the Norcold units but some Dometics are also affected. The factory recall is to install a high temp t stat which will shut the refer down but having the reacll done does not guarantee no fire. I have a friend that had the recalls done and his coach still burned up. You can check the refer manufacturers website for model numbers of effected units.

There is a new gadget on the market that can be installed on the refer that will shut everything down if themps get to high. Someone on this board has been testing them and results are very positive. Cost is in the $300- $350 range. If I was going to keep my old Dometic, I would install one of these cutouts. My refer is pushing 14 years old and I also wanted hard ice cream.

Installation of a Samsung unit will reduce the carried weight. My 18 cubic foot Samsung weighs less loaded that the old 12 cubic foot Dometic I took out. The residential refer is also more energy effecient
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

Thanks dons2346. No I have not heard this. I will look into it on the unit I am considering to purchase.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #6

Re: 2002 Country Coach Magna 37'

Nice looking Coach. We have an '02 CC Magna 40' and it has done very well over the years especially being outside here in Florida. We have 129K miles on the Coach now and I would buy another if anything were to happen to it. Drives and handles well, smooth and quiet running. Very solid built Coach. I agree with the other reply's and their points. Very important with any Coach or RV is to check the roof seals to insure no leakage. One other issue to be aware of is this vintage (01-04) had some issues with the slideout outside wall delaminating. The seal cracks and water intrusion causes the metal frame rust and the Fiberglass outside wall (window side) to separate. With the Slides open check the roof and vertical sealant where the Slide side meets the outside Slide wall. We had this problem many years ago. The fix by a dealer is very expensive if damage is extensive (slide removal). We have a Marine Fabrication business so was handy enough to do a right here at home. Fix wasn't hard and can be done by anyone that is handy. It has lasted six years with no issues. Once again you are buying a solid well built Coach that will last a long time. Yes, do get all the manuals that come with the Coach. They will help you locate and solve just about any problem. Forums are a great place to ask questions and get help.

Another Florida to Alaska trip is planned soon. This will be the 4th trip from Florida to Alaska with the Magna!

Pete
'02 Country Coach Magna #6110
'13 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
petesmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

BIG CAT in a 37' Tag = Power Smiles and handling to match!

A question to all, to hopefully let you know if it needs checking or not. What years did the aluminum radiators, and some coaches having dry Power Take Off's, start in?

OP - If the answer is that it's possible they're in that hear coach. Good to know to confirm they've been taken care of, or at least negotiate a price that allows for their correction.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post

Good looking coach. Do you get any records with it. Call the Cat Hot line with the serial # and see if anything has been done 1-877-777-3126.
I just had the valves adj on mine at 20k, check the age of the batteries, check the age of the tires 8 to 10 years max, check the roof around all seals then work your way down. Has the frig had the recall done mine had it BUT still had to install the Samsung 197 RR, one of my better moves.
This will be a way better ride than your Dodge
2 stroker
I am unsure of the records as Im buying from a dealer but the coach is on consignment and they call the guy to ask questions about the coach. I had the dealer get me the dot numbers of the tires and the oldest tire on the coach is 3 years old. the batteries are getting replaced because they where dead when I looked at the coach and I told them to put new ones in as I don't what to deal with it later on.
is the Samsung 197 RR a straight electric runner or does it run on propane also?
I like my ram mega cab I bought that new but I didn't drive it much it will be missed.
I did ask about the recalls I found three and they haven't told me if they where done yet or not but I will find out before I sign for anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Have you heard about all the refer fires? The fires usually end up totaling the coach. Most of the problems are with the Norcold units but some Dometics are also affected. The factory recall is to install a high temp t stat which will shut the refer down but having the reacll done does not guarantee no fire. I have a friend that had the recalls done and his coach still burned up. You can check the refer manufacturers website for model numbers of effected units.
There is a new gadget on the market that can be installed on the refer that will shut everything down if themps get to high. Someone on this board has been testing them and results are very positive. Cost is in the $300- $350 range. If I was going to keep my old Dometic, I would install one of these cutouts. My refer is pushing 14 years old and I also wanted hard ice cream.

Installation of a Samsung unit will reduce the carried weight. My 18 cubic foot Samsung weighs less loaded that the old 12 cubic foot Dometic I took out. The residential refer is also more energy effecient
if the recall has be done I wont mess with it but if it hasn't I might look into the Samsung 197 RR that 2 stroker talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesmagna View Post
Nice looking Coach. We have an '02 CC Magna 40' and it has done very well over the years especially being outside here in Florida. We have 129K miles on the Coach now and I would buy another if anything were to happen to it. Drives and handles well, smooth and quiet running. Very solid built Coach. I agree with the other reply's and their points. Very important with any Coach or RV is to check the roof seals to insure no leakage. One other issue to be aware of is this vintage (01-04) had some issues with the slideout outside wall delaminating. The seal cracks and water intrusion causes the metal frame rust and the Fiberglass outside wall (window side) to separate. With the Slides open check the roof and vertical sealant where the Slide side meets the outside Slide wall. We had this problem many years ago. The fix by a dealer is very expensive if damage is extensive (slide removal). We have a Marine Fabrication business so was handy enough to do a right here at home. Fix wasn't hard and can be done by anyone that is handy. It has lasted six years with no issues. Once again you are buying a solid well built Coach that will last a long time. Yes, do get all the manuals that come with the Coach. They will help you locate and solve just about any problem. Forums are a great place to ask questions and get help.

Another Florida to Alaska trip is planned soon. This will be the 4th trip from Florida to Alaska with the Magna!

Pete
'02 Country Coach Magna #6110
'13 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I will check it out when I go up there on Friday I also told them to have it on the lift as I want to look at the the underbelly and some other things.
I think they will let me use a ladder to look at everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
BIG CAT in a 37' Tag = Power Smiles and handling to match!

A question to all, to hopefully let you know if it needs checking or not. What years did the aluminum radiators, and some coaches having dry Power Take Off's, start in?

OP - If the answer is that it's possible they're in that hear coach. Good to know to confirm they've been taken care of, or at least negotiate a price that allows for their correction.

Best of luck,
Smitty
yes I am very happy I found this coach as I was wanting a shorter coach with high hp and when they told me about this one I had to check it out.then if the 505hp isn't good enough I might look into a pittsburg power box to up the hp/tq rating higher.
the price im getting this for is a steal and from reading around I can have a radiator made for 900-1000 bucks and I can do the work I just hate messing with antifreeze.
I didn't look very hard at the sump to see if it was dry or wet but will when I get up there on Friday.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #9

thanks everyone for the info I went thru all 23 pages of the country coach owners on hear and tried to find out all the info I can and its defiantly helped.

has anyone hear switched there tube tvs for flat screens on there coaches?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #10

Here is an install just like mine 100% electric but I run mine on the inverter 100% of the time.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
I don't know what year the wet PTO came in but I had mine done.
http://www.jdrv1.com/sitebuildercont...s/pto-101a.pdf
When it come the the Copper and Steel Radiator, they will run about $2500 and about the same to install. Mine was installed by Quinn Cat in Calif.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #11

Check out the Yahoo Country Coach Owners Forum. You don't have much time but a quick look there will give you more info.

I had to replace the CAC on my 2000 Magna. About $5K for cooler and labor. Do check to see if there is a PTO on the transmission powering the hydraulic pump. Don't know if this year had the dry PTO but it needs to be taken apart and inspected and re-lubricated. This is not expensive but must be done. There is a kit to convert it to a wet PTO so you don't have the periodic maintenance.

Also look at Damon Rapozo's site http://www.damonrapozo.com/model_history/index.php[/URL] to see running changes for the model year.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Here is an install just like mine 100% electric but I run mine on the inverter 100% of the time.
Samsung Refrigerator Install

I guess what they say about the recall if it was done or not equals me doing a new fridge or not.

I don't know what year the wet PTO came in but I had mine done.
http://www.jdrv1.com/sitebuildercont...s/pto-101a.pdf
When it come the the Copper and Steel Radiator, they will run about $2500 and about the same to install. Mine was installed by Quinn Cat in Calif.
2 stroker
I will call them in the morning to see how I can verify what I have I now have the engine number about the pto.
I guess I seen the 900-1000 dollar mark for cost of a rad and was going on that and not calling to see true cost of a new one but hopfully I wont have to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
Check out the Yahoo Country Coach Owners Forum. You don't have much time but a quick look there will give you more info.

I don't think I can bring myself to sign up on a yahoo forum. I don't like yahoo.

I had to replace the CAC on my 2000 Magna. About $5K for cooler and labor. Do check to see if there is a PTO on the transmission powering the hydraulic pump. Don't know if this year had the dry PTO but it needs to be taken apart and inspected and re-lubricated. This is not expensive but must be done. There is a kit to convert it to a wet PTO so you don't have the periodic maintenance.

ouch 5k to replace a radiator

Also look at Damon Rapozo's site http://www.damonrapozo.com/model_history/index.php[/URL] to see running changes for the model year.
I looked on that site already and doesn't say anything much about the triple slide 37 footer except (not many made)
Old 04-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #13

well I not picking up the coach tomorrow they found a bulge in a hydraulic line for one of the slides so there fixing that. I told them to look thru everything else to make sure all the other lines are good also.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #14

Consider making an exception on Yahoo to obtain the wealth of info and knowledge by this group. Good links, and photos.

And yeah, the bad comes along with it as far as Yahoo format!
Smitty

(Not knocking IRV2 CC forum - Yahoo CC User Group has several years on this one!)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote