RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #1

Possible cabinet sagging issue

We looking into possibly buying a 98CC intrigue, there is a few things on the coach that are concerning to me. in the front of the coach the cabinets look like they are coming apart slightly (apx 1/8"). The coach has had previous water damage due to a leak on the roof 2 years+ ago. the current owner had the leak fixed but said the first rain after he got it there was water dripping in through the cabinet above the front door. Im debating if this is an easy fix or if this is a sign of a bigger issue. what do you guys think?

When we looked at the coach it had been raining all night and the only wet spot on the ceiling I found was a small moist spot around the shower sunroof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	268971   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	268972  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2187.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	268973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2188.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	268974  

cafeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #2

If you found a wet spot after it rained, then the roof is still leaking.

Run.

steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
There are too many watertight rigs out there to look, brother.
I'd give it a pass.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Agree with the others about different coaches available that do not leak and have never leaked.

As far as the cabinets in the photo, they have been compromised by the water and the joints have separated. The only repair is to remove, disassemble, re-glue, and re-clamp. If those are doors, that is relatively easy. If cabinet frames, not so much. It's possible that the strength is not weakened to the point of failure or collapse, but, cosmetically, they are in poor shape and there is no real way to fix that.

There is still a leak over the shower. The damage to the cabinet was two years ago, and the leak was "fixed." Why the entire roof was not resealed at that time is telling, for if it was, there would not be a leak over the shower. This may be a clue to other, unseen, maintenance items as well, especially if there is a lack of service records.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #5

we really like the coach but the damage does worry me, i can tell by looking at it that before the current owner got it the roof was not properly maintained.

I don't mind fixing some water damage but am worried about what is behind the walls that i cant see, the roof has some light stains on it too. i walked the roof and most all the seals look good, there is a small crack in the sealant around the skylight.

We really love this coach, it has the perfect floor plan for us and the price is really good, and everything worked properly in the coach. Im just worried about the roof structure
Old 12-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #6

That good price may not be so, IF you dig into repairs and find lots of wood rot and mold and possibly rust...

Unless the owner is willing to knock off another $5K for repairs, from that already good price - I'd keep looking for another rig...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 12-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
we really like the coach but the damage does worry me, i can tell by looking at it that before the current owner got it the roof was not properly maintained.

I don't mind fixing some water damage but am worried about what is behind the walls that i cant see, the roof has some light stains on it too. i walked the roof and most all the seals look good, there is a small crack in the sealant around the skylight.

We really love this coach, it has the perfect floor plan for us and the price is really good, and everything worked properly in the coach. Im just worried about the roof structure
You have walked the roof yourself. Did you notice any soft areas? Did the owner tell you where the original leak was located, and did you inspect that area carefully?

You should hire a professional inspector to go over all facets of the coach anyway, so it would not be too difficult to get a verification off the integrity of the roof and especially the area of the original leak. It will cost you, but that is an expense that should be expected when purchasing a used coach.

You say the price is "really good," and that's likely due to the damage you noticed. If the coach passes an inspection (house, chassis, and power train), and you are willing to tackle some cosmetic issues, there is no reason why you should not proceed. Just keep a large budget available for further, unexpected repairs.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #8

didn't notice any soft spots everything felt good,

The original leak came from a small crack in the roof above the entry door, it looks like a branch or something hit the roof and caused the crack, it has been repaired. The sealant around everything else on the roof has been redone 2 years ago, its probably time to redue it all again as maint

We are still working on price but im looking to ask 7k less than asking and work from there if we decide to make a move

Im concerned about the ceiling panels, there carpeted and I don't know where to get them if i end up not being able to be cleaned
Old 12-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
We have carpeted ceiling panels and had a leak (now fixed) at the location of an OTA antenna that I removed.

Oxyclean in our carpet shampoo machine did a great job cleaning the liquified dust out of the carpeted ceiling.

1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote