Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #15

How do you "do your homework"? Most online sold coach's never list the selling price. You can go all over and see what people are asking but not what they actually get. I recently missed a 2003 36' intrigue that was on ebay. I was in the process of having a friend look at it in person when it sold. The sell price was 60K, that same coach is typically listed for 99-110k on RVT and other online sellers.

It was on consignment for the original owner and the photos showed it was stored indoors at their house. Very clean based on the pics (but you never know).

My point is how do you figure out a fair offer?

Another dilemma I'm finding is not being able to test drive before committing to a deal. I have 15 years experience driving my 98 Seabreeze gas coach. It's 33' long and shorter by a good foot than a CC so I will have to get used to the extra length and height. I haven't even ridden in a diesel pusher coach let alone driven one but all the people that I've talked to rave about how much better they are to drive, less fatiguing and quieter than gas. That along with getting a slide in the living room are the main reasons for the upgrade. I would feel way better about the 100k cost of upgrading if I really knew that the improvement was as big as many people claim. Not being able to drive one or even ride in one is a little concerning.

Premier only sells on consignment so I understand why they don't want people driving a coach they don't own but it still leaves me with a dilemma.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we bought the Magna from Premier they either dropped the price of the rig by $20,000 or gave us $20,000 more for our trade WITHOUT any bartering or back and forth, but I'm sure they had to get the owners permission to do so since it was a consignment.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #17

I believe it was well explained when someone said new is not the same as used.

A business like Premier or any used RV dealership would have either a fixed fee deal with the consigner or a cost to their inventory that they must recover with profit (generally not a percentage).

We bought our coach from Premier last spring largely because they had what we were looking for. What I didn’t realize ahead of buying it was just how capable the folks at Premier were. After the purchase and ahead of delivery I was looking for some personal touches to be added. My list of 35 improvements was met with enthusiasm and delivered 5 weeks later as promised. Having owned 4 coaches and dealing with both manufactures and dealers there has been no group that understands RV’s as well as these guys (my opinion).

I wouldn’t be looking for a % but rather looking for a dealer you want to have a relationship with, that will really save you money over time.

Best of luck with your searching.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #18

You do your homework by looking, and driving as many coaches as possible. Individual owners should have no problem with you going for a test ride.
Also, know what problem areas are a concern for the year of coach you are looking at, so you know what questions to ask.
Individual owners are usually up front with what they are willing to sell the coach for.
Sounds like to me your dealing with the wrong people. Why would you go to a salesman who's probably never owned a DP, over a individual who has years of expertise on that coach?
Before I made a purchase I looked at dozens, and drove over 10 coaches before I made a decision. As you do this you increase your knowledge.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #19

As a side note for a 2003 Intrigue from what I've seen should start around the mid 80's. Then you deduct for things that will need servicing, like tires, and batteries. Or items that you see that need attention.
Then you either add or deduct for condition.
Then add for upgrades like Cherry cabinets will always bring a higher resale by 5k.
Areas that I would be concerned with:
CAPS on the Cummins.
Pre ULSD fuel lines that run to the generator, and hydronic heater.
Sauer/Danfoss Fan Controller.
Be sure you exercise everything throughly like the Hurricane, let it run for at least an hour. Then also have the coach throughly inspected by OMC. I would also take it to Cummins for a full inspection.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #20

Also dependent on model ... some coaches are a dime a dozen and others are difficult to find and highly sought after (thus priced higher)
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:14 PM   #21

One needs to remember there are several pricing levels on motorhomes - (1) Private party pricing. (2) NADA and other retail pricing guides. (3) The wholesale pricing guide. (4) What wholesalers are actually paying. And, then (5) auction pricing. Regional factor also plays a part in the pricing. It's easy to find out 1, 2 & 3, but then it gets more challenging.

You have do do your homework, and understand the market, at the time you are shopping.

I have been a customer of Gary & Louie since they started and they focus on having good quality coaches, so they can ask a little more for what they sell. They typically will give you as good a deal that will work for them, and the owner they represent, and for you the buyer.

Whether it's the deal you want, as a buyer, it is up to you to decide.
Willee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willee View Post
One needs to remember there are several pricing levels on motorhomes - (1) Private party pricing. (2) NADA and other retail pricing guides. (3) The wholesale pricing guide. (4) What wholesalers are actually paying. And, then (5) auction pricing. Regional factor also plays a part in the pricing. It's easy to find out 1, 2 & 3, but then it gets more challenging.

You have do do your homework, and understand the market, at the time you are shopping.

I have been a customer of Gary & Louie since they started and they focus on having good quality coaches, so they can ask a little more for what they sell. They typically will give you as good a deal that will work for them, and the owner they represent, and for you the buyer.

Whether it's the deal you want, as a buyer, it is up to you to decide.

Thanks Willee.

After Louie told me I couldn't drive any coach he had unless I would commit to buying it I have decided to not upgrade after all. I haven't even had a chance to ride in a diesel motorhome let alone drive one and the main reason for changing was to get a coach that was less fatiguing to drive long distances. How would I know if this is true unless I could drive one for myself? I won't lie to get a test drive and I also won't commit to buying without first driving one and confirming the drivability. I don't think that's too much to ask when spending over $100K.

Thanks to everyone who offered up help and comments.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddan View Post
Thanks Willee.

After Louie told me I couldn't drive any coach he had unless I would commit to buying it I have decided to not upgrade after all. I haven't even had a chance to ride in a diesel motorhome let alone drive one and the main reason for changing was to get a coach that was less fatiguing to drive long distances. How would I know if this is true unless I could drive one for myself? I won't lie to get a test drive and I also won't commit to buying without first driving one and confirming the drivability. I don't think that's too much to ask when spending over $100K.

Thanks to everyone who offered up help and comments.
I feel your pain.

When I was shopping for a 40' powerboat, the same criteria applied. First commit to the deal, then take it for a sea trial to id any deal breakers.

I bought the boat for @ $100k and really enjoyed its performance but had never piloted that large a boat before. I guess the tactic weeds out the tire kickers or folks who just want a boat ride today.

Find a dealer who will let you drive a similar diesel MH. Then decide if you really want a diesel and find the best one.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote