RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Photos seem to indicate that your check valve problem was with the Secondary Tank?

Keying on the red air lines.

1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 05:53 AM   #16

Interesting thread. I had my front air bags replaced last year with no issue. Now it seems I have a leak somewhere in the front end. It leaks down whether on the leveling system or not so it must be somewhere between the bags and the valves that switch the air supply to the bags.

Also, don't forget safety everyone. Drive up on some 6x6 blocks for clearance when under coach. These things ride low, especially our older ones. Don't want to get squished.

2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Photos seem to indicate that your check valve problem was with the Secondary Tank?

Keying on the red air lines.

I do not recall. The wet tank is also part of the mix as it is in one end of the tanks.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #18

clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Ok, thanks I will take a look while under there.

CC put ours in such a difficult place to access.
Those signs are only after it has failed. If it hasn't failed yet you might be wise to replace it.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #19

After the work performed yesterday, my primary and secondary tanks are again flat from sitting just overnight. So, more diagnostics are in order. I'll have them take another look this coming Monday while they're working on my drive axle bushings.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:15 PM   #20

Well, I did replace it about 8,000 miles ago.

The dryer it replaced had 89,000 miles on it and had not failed

So, I think it's too soon for preventative maintenance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Those signs are only after it has failed. If it hasn't failed yet you might be wise to replace it.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
Old 10-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #21

I had the o-rings fail on several solenoids on the HWH air leveling manifold. It is in the rear behind the axle. The solenoids remove with one nut and are easy to clean up and replace the o-rings on the workbench. But of course they are only a few of the connections that might be leaking and I don't believe they would empty the tanks.

Since the tanks are losing air I would start with them and go out in both directions looking for leaks. The air drains would be a likely culprit. My '93 Magna will hold air for several weeks so it is possible.

Good luck Dean!
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
After the work performed yesterday, my primary and secondary tanks are again flat from sitting just overnight. So, more diagnostics are in order. I'll have them take another look this coming Monday while they're working on my drive axle bushings.
That has to be frustrating.

They must have stopped testing the air leaks when they found the first two, so did not find the major leak you are experiencing.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
Old 10-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #23

Today I was able to get nearly under the MH to spray some soapy water with no success.

The 25 yr old air bags look to be in good shape. I sprayed two air tanks, the compressor, brake pods, brake bags and many hoses and hose connections (but not the dryer) or the back to front lines in the center of the basement.

I am now looking for opinions on where to take the rig for repair.

1. Drive 180 miles to Grants Pass, Oregon over the Siskiyou Mountains with the air system needing repair.

2. Or take it to a family owned local heavy truck repair shop.

There just are not many truck shops here, much less shops with lifts or pits to work from.

Decisions....decisions!
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #24
Community Moderator

I remember you are in Sacramento area. Have you checked with Diesel Kings Truck Repair Tel (916) 862-2924? They do work on RVs and seem pretty good - 5 scores out of 59 google feedback.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
I remember you are in Sacramento area. Have you checked with Diesel Kings Truck Repair Tel (916) 862-2924? They do work on RVs and seem pretty good - 5 scores out of 59 google feedback.
Wow, that appears to be a good find and about 20 miles closer to our current residence than Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass.

And, all flat land to get there!

I will contact them tomorrow.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #26

This past Monday, the tech at TransWest found a leaky 20 psi HWH pressure switch. So, it's another week's delay for parts and hope they found the last of the air leaks. I'm baffled at how a single pressure leak can drain all the primary and secondary ari tanks overnight. I doubt this is the entire problem.

There are alot of potential leak paths! I have 5 pressure switches, and 22 valves, plus all the fittings and hoses. TransWest won't just refurbish a valve's o-rings even when they are OEM from HWH. They will only replace entire valves. Ugh.

For me, my patience is running as thin as my pocketbook, so I'm going to make some risers so I can let my suspension air out and safely get under my coach for diagnosis and R&R.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #27

Well, I have had ramps for many years to do my diy lube jobs. But now I have no suitable place to crawl under the rig without me lying in the neighborhood roadway. Yikes!

Today, I found a mobile roadside repair guy with a very good google rep who will make an attempt to find the leak.

I just do not trust the big shops who view the process as a cool way to milk the money cow during the search for a solution, or who have to learn my rig's systems because they only work on similar systems once a year.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
Old 10-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
This past Monday, the tech at TransWest found a leaky 20 psi HWH pressure switch. So, it's another week's delay for parts and hope they found the last of the air leaks. I'm baffled at how a single pressure leak can drain all the primary and secondary ari tanks overnight. I doubt this is the entire problem.

There are alot of potential leak paths! I have 5 pressure switches, and 22 valves, plus all the fittings and hoses. TransWest won't just refurbish a valve's o-rings even when they are OEM from HWH. They will only replace entire valves. Ugh.

For me, my patience is running as thin as my pocketbook, so I'm going to make some risers so I can let my suspension air out and safely get under my coach for diagnosis and R&R.
I am sure you will not let the suspension air out while under the coach. That is the air which you are trying to find escaping!

Jack stands for the frame are needed to keep you safe even when on the ramps. Harbor Freight has good prices on various sets.

If your tires on on ramps, you can deduct about 3,000 pounds per axle for the needed strength of the jack stands.

The heavier jack stands require more ground clearance to fit. So check your measurements before buying or get a 20 ton air/hydraulic jack ($90) at Harbor Freight and first compare its lift height to your needs.

1995 38' CC Magna #5280

Tags
air, tank