Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #1

Pulled my air dryer yesterday

What is the deal with people not maintaining their stuff, Everything I have done on this thing looks like it has never been done before, I mean really...the inside of my coach looks like new almost but the mechanical is terribly neglected, from the air breather filter, (was so dirty I don't know how it was running) Then the air dryer assembly was so heavy the guy at the truck parts store was shocked, He brought out the reman unit and was like "feel the difference in the weight" felt like ten pounds of oil or water or whatever in that thing,
Now I am worried what it has done to the air brakes and the other air operated systems on this thing..... might be why I have had two air lines rupture so far.....

1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #2

I can't even find the air dryer on my 2013 Newmar. Oh well, the next owner will have to deal with that I guess!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #3

The condition of your air dryer really has nothing to do with ruptured air lines. They have either rubbed on something, or just old and rotten. Most RV owners aren't into doing much maintenance at all. There for if you can afford it, new is the only way to go. Or find a nice used rig that has had really good care by a very anal owner. Years ago no rigs had air dryers, and we had to drain the air tanks daily. In cold weather air valves would freeze up on you at times and leave you stranded. We would pour alcohol in the air tanks, and you were good to go for a few days, and did not have to drain, or you would loose all the alcohol.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by benford View Post
What is the deal with people not maintaining their stuff, Everything I have done on this thing looks like it has never been done before, I mean really...the inside of my coach looks like new almost but the mechanical is terribly neglected, from the air breather filter, (was so dirty I don't know how it was running) Then the air dryer assembly was so heavy the guy at the truck parts store was shocked, He brought out the reman unit and was like "feel the difference in the weight" felt like ten pounds of oil or water or whatever in that thing,
Now I am worried what it has done to the air brakes and the other air operated systems on this thing..... might be why I have had two air lines rupture so far.....
We feel your pain! We routinely curse the previous owner. It appeared (and we were told it was) "like new." We have spent an enormous amount of money to fix/replace/repair things that would have been caught on regular maintenance from a rusted U joint to the dry rot adventure of 2 years ago. Love love love the coach, but it has taken a lot of money to get it where it is now!!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #5

Benford,

Maintenance for most coaches is expensive to have done professionally.
Do it yourself is often difficult for the high end coach demographic.
But...I think the real problem is that many do not understand how the chassis portion of the coach actually functions, or how much maintenance is actually required.
In this instance, the new air dryer, if the old one has not been routinely maintained, will collect and remove the residual water or moisture in the air lines, and will saturate. So instead of normal replacement in 2 years, it may require replacement in 6 months. And again in another 6 months, until the moisture has been removed.
So, don't forget that you will most likely go through several air dryers in the next year or two. Further, did you have the purge valve rebuilt or replaced with the dryer. There is another bit of maintenance that needs to be done.
Just keeps adding up.

So stick with it and get the coach maintenance caught up and you will have a terrific reliable coach.

Luck,
Bob
Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #6

Benford, is it a big job to swap out the rebuilt dryer? What are the costs associated with the replacement? Thanks, Joe
Old 10-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofo777 View Post
Benford, is it a big job to swap out the rebuilt dryer? What are the costs associated with the replacement? Thanks, Joe
Rebuilt unit with new purge valve and seals and cartridge was $148 plus tax, just the desiccant cartridge is $90 , So far as changing it out it was a good bit of work lots of small air lines and two big ones, had to mark them so I got them back in the same place, no biggy ,
The thing is on mine the whole thing has to come out whether just changing cartridge or putting in a remaned unit, to me its worth 50 bucks to have new parts in the whole thing, being as I don't know when... if ever it was serviced....
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
Old 10-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluedog55 View Post
Benford,

Maintenance for most coaches is expensive to have done professionally.
Do it yourself is often difficult for the high end coach demographic.
But...I think the real problem is that many do not understand how the chassis portion of the coach actually functions, or how much maintenance is actually required.
In this instance, the new air dryer, if the old one has not been routinely maintained, will collect and remove the residual water or moisture in the air lines, and will saturate. So instead of normal replacement in 2 years, it may require replacement in 6 months. And again in another 6 months, until the moisture has been removed.
So, don't forget that you will most likely go through several air dryers in the next year or two. Further, did you have the purge valve rebuilt or replaced with the dryer. There is another bit of maintenance that needs to be done.
Just keeps adding up.

So stick with it and get the coach maintenance caught up and you will have a terrific reliable coach.

Luck,
Bob

Some good advice right there sir , thanks, oh and the re manufactured unit has new purge valve , might as well go ahead and buy a new cartridge now so I will have it on hand...
You are so right about the maintenance on these rigs, sometimes seems like I work on it as much as I get to enjoy it....I am sure the enjoying part will surpass the work someday????
Thanks,
Benny
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #9

For me the biggest challenge is being able to get under my coach safely , Being so little clearance and me having a big belly is a problem, The first time I used my backhoe to dig a trench in my pasture then drove the coach over it kinda like the oil change place, but this was inconvenient because the trench would fill with water when it rained, so I filled it in and got the idea to build some ramps....at my work we could get these plywood boards two feet wide eight feel long 5/8 thick, so I started stacking the plywood on top of each other making each one shorter than the last stair stepping them until I got about four or five inches thick, HEAVY as hell but they work great, My coach is up in the air under her shed so now I can crawl all under it and work on everything, and it is safe, and yes I have jack stands under it just in case...
Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
So, don't forget that you will most likely go through several air dryers in the next year or two.
Luck,Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob
The air dryer takes care of the air from the compressor before it goes to the remainder of the system. This dryer should not require service again until the the time suggested in the maintenance manual.

If moisture has already traveled into the reservoir tanks it could be treated with alcohol. (Am I incorrect?)
Dwight
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #11

Dwight,
The compressor on my coach supplies air directly through the dryer to manipulate the stationary leveling and ride height.
I had a ride height adjustment valve go bad, when the airlines were removed, water literally poured out of the line.
This was my first clue that the dryer might not be doing its' job anymore.
I called bendix, the dryer maker, and talked to them for a while about air brakes and the like. They advised that the dryer would need to be replaced more often for a while as the lines all dried out and water was purged from the system.
As for alcohol, the only time I have seen it used, is for de-icing airlines, and then only in old systems that didn't have air dryers but did have an alcohol injector system. And then it was always etnanol alcohol.
You don't really want alcohol in the airlines, as it corrupts seals and can cause premature failure in valves.

Luck,
Bob

Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote