Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Question about jake brake on Country Coach

Hi we have a 2004 Alure Country Coach. We just bought it this past summer and have yet to drive it anywhere but on the flats. My question is how do I know rather it is in high or low on the jake brake. It isn't marked. Thank you for your answer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #2

I have a three stage jake on my 2002 Affinity and the control is a rocker switch to the left of the drivers seat. On mine when the tail /bottom of the switch is down it is on low. There are two clicks to get to max. Should be similar in yours. However, you can listen and tell if you are in high or low. High is louder. Also the hold back / braking action is significantly more in high. You will not have to worry about which is which.

I have had my Country Coach a year this month and really love mine.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM   #3

Hi - Congrats on the new rig!

Ours too is an 04 Allure. Like Bob said, the switch to the left side, rocker back towards the rear is "low", rocker forward is "higher" (we have the two stage Jake's, so only two positions).

Our rig only had 13K miles on it when we bought it. The 1st owner was 'get in and drive' hands off onwner. We've been slowly doing the new coach shake out on this 2004! We found very litte difference tween low and high on the jake while test driving. As part of the agreement to purchase, Cummins went in and checked our Jake over for us. Found that they had to pull the valve cover, and reset a mechanical portion of the valve train that close the valves - in high, the valves were remaining partiall open, thus little to none difference with on the first band of 3cyl's working at low. After the repair, the 2nd 3cyl (all six now) did kick in during compression braking. Very nice for those down hill grades!

I do recall reading about some pin/plug problems too, where some Jakes were only working in low, not high. Not a factor for us, but worth a mention.

Suggest you go out and find a good size hill, slow the unit down to 50, and kick in the low Jake, see how it feels. Then kick in the high, and see if you feel the difference in the seat of your pants. If not, then look further. If so, then grin and go have some fun!

Best of luck, be safe, enjoy,
Smitty
04 Allure 40' High Cascade 31017
Old 11-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #4

My 2 stage exhaust brake is only working on the low setting, where to i look for the fix?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #5

You do not say where in the USA you are but you should talk to

Kevin Waite kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com He can likely direct to the right place to go.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
just bought a 1992 affinity 40' and as yet not really driven it anywhere but to the gas station and back. Getting ready to go to Texas then on to California then to southern Utah before returning to Michigan in the spring. Retiring in December and leaving after Christmas hoping for good weather before we leave. Anyway I have a low, medium and high jake brakes, low meaning what and high meaning what? No hills in Michigan. Also, will my 3125 i think that's the right number. It's a 325hp cat, get me through the mountains ok?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #7

Congrats on the new rig!

I understand this to be a three stage Compression Brake, probably Jake.

Low = 2cyl
Med = 4cyl
High = 6cyl

This is the number of cyl's kicking in with compression to help slow your ride. When you get to a hill, take sometime and drive down it several times. Work the combination of Low to Med to High, and get a feel for what it does. Then do try to downshift from 6 to say 4, and repeat the test. What you are trying to learn, is the feel for when to downshift (earlier bettern then later), and what level of Jake to use, in order to control your decent with minimal braking.

Good luck, have fun,
Smitty
Old 11-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #8

I have a six speed Allison with three level Jake / engine brake. When I go down hill and use the engine brake my transmission downshifts on its own. I guess I could also manually downshift but IMHO it is better to the the Allison brain do the thinking. The last time I used the manual shift I forgot about it and could not understand why the coach would not go faster than 60. It was because I left it in 4 th. So now up hills and down I let the transmission do its own thing.

I do find it a somewhat PIA to make sure the speed is not over 60 when using the jake. Over that speed and I am overspeeding the rpms of the motor. But I absolutely do not want to complain about the Cat C12. Anytime a huge heavy coach gets over 7 mpg on a regular basis is reason to cheer.