Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Gary, Just wondering if you had cummins check the parameters for the fan controller? My controller is not mounted to the motor, I have the older type on my ISL, not too sure as to how yours works, but there area couple of temp sensors that send info to the controller, I think. I know the type I have is not repairable, but wonder about yours, they are a little pricey.
Marvin, 07 Allure, 31459
Marvin, not sure why your's would be different since it is same model year as mine. Do you have the 400 ISL or the 425?

According to the fellow I spoke to at CC, the device that talks to the Cummins ECM and controls the fan on my coach is that solenoid device that I posted in the pic. I talked to the Cummins folks but since they did not install the fan or set it up on CC's Dynomax chassis, they were not eager to do a lot of troubleshooting. They did not refuse but were just not eager to deal with it.

I have been searching for the solenoid. I was told by CC it was a Danfoss part. A local Danfoss distributor looked at my pic and said it was Bosch. A Bosch distributor in Charlotte, NC looked at the pic and said it was not Bosch. However, he found one on Ebay for me. It is listed as a JCB electric solenoid valve and is sold by a fellow in the UK for about $55 U.S. dollars. I decided at that price to just order it, replace it and see if the fan starts to work as designed. If not, I will have CC check it next year when we travel to that part of the country.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
This is the only gadget I can find related to the fan on my coach:

It looks nothing like the Sauer-Danfoss controller I've seen in pics. I have sent an email to CC tech support inquiring where my fan controller might be located but have received no reply.

That's the symbol for a zener diode. They are used for switching in electronic circuits. Once they hit a certain voltage point (the breakdown voltage) they switch. So this could be what is controlling your fan.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
That's the symbol for a zener diode. They are used for switching in electronic circuits. Once they hit a certain voltage point (the breakdown voltage) they switch. So this could be what is controlling your fan.
Thanks for the info. Would this device be logically an 'on-off' device? When it is 'off' or open, it allows fluid to flow to the fan pump. When 'on' or energized, it closes, stopping fluid flow to the pump so the fan is not powered but merely idling. The shiney (actually it is dirty) rod extending from the device looks like it was designed to move in/out but looks to be stuck in the out position.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Would this device be logically an 'on-off' device? When it is 'off' or open, it allows fluid to flow to the fan pump. When 'on' or energized, it closes, stopping fluid flow to the pump so the fan is not powered but merely idling. The shiney (actually it is dirty) rod extending from the device looks like it was designed to move in/out but looks to be stuck in the out position.

Yes it could be the switch that energizes a solenoid to move that rod.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #19

I am currently sitting in Lost Hills, CA, and yes, I am los. The the cooling fan has completely failed on my Cummins 600 ISX. It has the same fan controller as you show for your Allure. I pretty much believe I have eliminated the hydraulic pump, PTO issues since the power steering was working fine when the fan failed. The fan does not turn at all...ever. Did you ever determine that if the solenoid is not receiving a signal, then the fan will shut off? Am trying to trouble shoot....as we enjoy our time in the middle of no where. I have been communicating with Country Coach, and they are also assisting as best they can.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhitty View Post
I am currently sitting in Lost Hills, CA, and yes, I am los. The the cooling fan has completely failed on my Cummins 600 ISX. It has the same fan controller as you show for your Allure. I pretty much believe I have eliminated the hydraulic pump, PTO issues since the power steering was working fine when the fan failed. The fan does not turn at all...ever. Did you ever determine that if the solenoid is not receiving a signal, then the fan will shut off? Am trying to trouble shoot....as we enjoy our time in the middle of no where. I have been communicating with Country Coach, and they are also assisting as best they can.

Thanks, John.
John, I have done nothing with my fan controller. My fan runs so I decided to leave it alone until we get out to CC in Oregon later this year and let them check it.

It is my understanding with all of these setups that if you disconnect the wire/s to the fan controller gizmo, the fan will run at full speed. This is to protect you from overheating in the event the fan controller fails. If your fan is not working at all, I would suspect the hydraulic motor has failed.

With the coach engine off, can you turn the fan by hand?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #21

Thanks for getting back. I have disconnected the solenoid, and the fan still does not run. The fan blade does turn, and is not frozen up, and there is really no sign of any catastrophic event with the fan motor itself......Will keep you posted.

John.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Fan Controller

Quote:

Thanks, John.
John,

Kevin Waite is a great resource for such problems, he was a country Coach factory employee who is now self employed. He has provided me with telephone assistance several times. His number is 541-953-6162

Ray
2000 Country Coach Intrigue
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post
John,

Kevin Waite is a great resource for such problems, he was a country Coach factory employee who is now self employed. He has provided me with telephone assistance several times. His number is 541-953-6162

Ray
2000 Country Coach Intrigue
Kevin (in collaboration with Butch Williams, another former CC employee) offer unlimited technical support for CC owners for an annual fee.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #24

Not trying to change the subject here, but just a question. With what I have read here and on other posts about the fan and/or controller, I understand that when you first start up the coach when it's cold, the fan will start at it's highest rate of spinning, then shortly thereafter reduce its' speed to allow the coolant to warm up to operating temp. How long does this action take? Is it a slow process? Does it happen after the engine has reach it's normal Temp?
Thanks
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #25

In an effort to clarify how the solenoid works, I've attached a few pictures. The stainless rod does not move. It has a plunger inside that opens a valve on the end. The solenoid is simply a magnet coil and will slide right off the rod by removing the plastic nut on the end.
You can test it by sticking a screwdriver inside and applying power. When energized, it will attract the screwdriver to the side.
On this one that I have tested, it will not pull the plunger in while applying 12+ but will attract the screwdriver. I assume that the plunger needs hydraulic pressure as well as the solenoid to move the plunger.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #26

Thanks all:

We limped it into a diesel repair facility outside of Bakersfield, CA. Myers Diesel repair. Unfortunately, it was the PTO/Pump spline failure. The Pump had been separated from the PTO and greased 4000 miles ago, but it could have been the first time it had ever been done, meaning the coach would have already had 33k on it. The power steering and the fan pump are separate...thank God. The pump is Eaton, and they are currently attempting to locate one.

Looks like it will be late next week before we return on our journey to the desert.

Thanks again for all your replies and assistance.

John.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks all:

We limped it into a diesel repair facility outside of Bakersfield, CA. Myers Diesel repair. Unfortunately, it was the PTO/Pump spline failure. The Pump had been separated from the PTO and greased 4000 miles ago, but it could have been the first time it had ever been done, meaning the coach would have already had 33k on it. The power steering and the fan pump are separate...thank God. The pump is Eaton, and they are currently attempting to locate one.

Looks like it will be late next week before we return on our journey to the desert.

Thanks again for all your replies and assistance.

John.
Glad you are getting the assistance you need. Hope it doesn't suck the wallet too flat .

I'm new to the CC and it was my understanding that, on most of our coaches, the PTO driven pump ran both the fan and our power steering. If the pump on the PTO failed, you lost both your fan and your power steering.

Do you know if your coach had the 'Wet PTO' upgrade?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Glad you are getting the assistance you need. Hope it doesn't suck the wallet too flat .

I'm new to the CC and it was my understanding that, on most of our coaches, the PTO driven pump ran both the fan and our power steering. If the pump on the PTO failed, you lost both your fan and your power steering.

Do you know if your coach had the 'Wet PTO' upgrade?
I was thinking both worked off the Pto also, I would assume you have not installed the "wet pto",as you mentioned the grease.?
I have not installed the wet kit either, have been doing the inspections and greasing. I just completed a trip over 9K mile and reinspected the splines and no new grease was needed, l have a little over 30k miles on my rig now.
Good luck on your repair, would like to know the complete details when repair is complete.
Marvin, 07 Allure, 470, 31459.

Tags
fan, radiator