Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Re-sealing windshield

Noticed today that the urethane sealant around my windshield seems to be getting hard, brittle and it has started to shrink away from the glass near one of the corners. I am assuming this 1/2" wide sealant is all that is holding the glass in.

Since we are now in Eugene I may have CC take a look at it. I do wonder, however, if any of the national glass companies (Safelite, Guardian, etc) can reseal it? If so, I could have it done while I am sitting here for a week at Premier RV Resort.

Has anyone had this done and, if so, who did the work?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Noticed today that the urethane sealant around my windshield seems to be getting hard, brittle and it has started to shrink away from the glass near one of the corners. I am assuming this 1/2" wide sealant is all that is holding the glass in.

Since we are now in Eugene I may have CC take a look at it. I do wonder, however, if any of the national glass companies (Safelite, Guardian, etc) can reseal it? If so, I could have it done while I am sitting here for a week at Premier RV Resor

Has anyone had this done and, if so, who did the work?
I've done it myself a few times.

UV is degrading the urethane & bonding surface. There is a little more involved than resealing the glass. The glass needs to be cleaned and primed so the urethane will bond to it.

The hard part is finding a tech with the right tools and skills to removed the glass without breaking it. All I can think if is a automotive glass shop.

As a temporary fix the leaks can be sealed with 3M 5200 or Sikaflex 295. There are many other types but these are the 2 that come to mind.

jtbuilds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
I've done it myself a few times.

UV is degrading the urethane & bonding surface. There is a little more involved than resealing the glass. The glass needs to be cleaned and primed so the urethane will bond to it.

The hard part is finding a tech with the right tools and skills to removed the glass without breaking it. All I can think if is a automotive glass shop.

As a temporary fix the leaks can be sealed with 3M 5200 or Sikaflex 295. There are many other types but these are the 2 that come to mind.
Does the glass have to come out? I was think the job could be done in such a way as to avoid completely removing the glass. Mine is a huge one piece windshield.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #4

Big I know....with lots of pressure builing on it going down the highway so lots of movement.. Keep a close eye on it.

It is possible that the bond or frit (black band around the glass) is failing in just one area. Someone can try to reestablish the frit and bond. The issue is getting the surfaces clean.

If both the outside and inside are accessible glazing urethane can be pulled through with a vacumm.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Let me preface my comments with saying I have NEVER sealed a windshield before. I have however worked with 3M 5200 on boats. It's fantastic stuff but once it dries it will never come off and gets quite hard. Check that application on a windshield out carefully before using it on a windshield. Just saying.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #6

" Let me preface my comments with saying I have NEVER sealed a windshield before. I have however worked with 3M 5200 on boats. It's fantastic stuff but once it dries it will never come off and gets quite hard. Check that application on a windshield out carefully before using it on a windshield. Just saying."

yes 5200 is a caulking and not glazing urethane..... "a temporary fix"

Old 09-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbuilds View Post
" Let me preface my comments with saying I have NEVER sealed a windshield before. I have however worked with 3M 5200 on boats. It's fantastic stuff but once it dries it will never come off and gets quite hard. Check that application on a windshield out carefully before using it on a windshield. Just saying."

yes 5200 is a caulking and not glazing urethane..... "a temporary fix"
My experience with 3M 5200 is whatever I applied it to is no longer temporary and very very permanent. They should change the name to Permanent 5200.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Windshield seal

We had our '03 CC right windshield resealed this summer at OMC. They had an outside mobile crew do the work. The work took about an hour. It appeared to be a good job. Only $200 for an hour....

The windshield still leaks a bit but not as much as before. Even if we went back for a redo I doubt the mobile company would want to redo due to the roads and all the force against the glass. However, it did leak on our way back home from Oregon the next day.

They didn't take the windshield out. They removed the rubber gasket and cleaned away the old glue and then resealed. The did not do a water hose test on the windshield. Said it wasn't needed.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
My experience with 3M 5200 is whatever I applied it to is no longer temporary and very very permanent. They should change the name to Permanent 5200.

5200 will bond temporarily to glass.

590 is used for a permanent bond

Old 09-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505 KittyKat View Post
We had our '03 CC right windshield resealed this summer at OMC. They had an outside mobile crew do the work. The work took about an hour. It appeared to be a good job. Only $200 for an hour....

The windshield still leaks a bit but not as much as before. Even if we went back for a redo I doubt the mobile company would want to redo due to the roads and all the force against the glass. However, it did leak on our way back home from Oregon the next day.

They didn't take the windshield out. They removed the rubber gasket and cleaned away the old glue and then resealed. The did not do a water hose test on the windshield. Said it wasn't needed.
Mine is not leaking at this point. I have no rubber gasket. The only thing between the glass and the fiberglass is the thick layer of the black sealant all around the glass. It is just starting to shrink away from both the glass and the fiberglass.

I am going to check with RV Glass Solutions today. I am only about 1/4 mile from their location here in Coburg.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: Talked to two glass companies here in Eugene area. Both said the sealant in my case is cosmetic only, merely filling the gap between the glass edge and opening in the front fiberglass cap. They can scrape it out, tape up the area and re-do it. However, neither can get to it while we are here.

They said CC can do it so I add that to my list for them.

Tags
seal