RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Rear Ac temperature is erratic.

So our 2000 allure seems to have an erratic temperature issue. We can have the thermostat set at 78 and the rear ac keeps running while the thermometer on the drivers side night stand says 71. I know the sensor is in the same overhead in the little white thing that allows it to get room temp air. I also know the electric box and transfer switch are above in this compartment which do out heat.

So I insulate over the sensor to isolate the heat from the floor of the compartment and sensor? Is sensor bad? It seems kind of a pita.

Anyone experience this same issue?

2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My front temp sensor is mounted to the passenger side outside wall above the stairs. It receives excess heat when the sun is on that side, giving the AC a workout trying to catch up. One of these days I'll get around to relocating it. for the time being I just adjust the temp setting for the desired comfort level.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #3

My rear a/c and heat pump are erratic also. I attribute it to the comfort air stat sure would be nice to have a separate stat for each unit. I would place a thermometer next to the rear sensor and see if the temperature corresponds to what the stat is set at. If the sensor is indeed being affected by another heat source the best fix would be to extend the wires and relocate it . In my case I try to experiment with different stat settings as a new stat didn’t help. You can check the resistance of the sensor versus the temperature to see if it is correct if not a new sensor my help also a poor electrical connection in the low voltage stat wires could affect operation.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Try unplugging the temp sensor at the AC unit, and plug back in.
This got one of my AC's back behaving again.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #5

Also in some CC years, our 04 Allure for example, each AC unit has phone jacks that are used to communicate to thermostat. Overtime, these can build up condensation which can turn into mold/crud. Our rear AC was miss behaving, cycling at times, not coming at times, and behaving as if no thermostat was in the mix!

After receiving help here and on Yahoo CC Forum, I unplugged and cleaned the RJ45 male end of the cables with electronic cleaner. Air can dried it. Q-Tip applied dielectric grease. And replaced the Female/Female jacks. As I recall, two in the rear, and one in the front AC. I cleaned them all. I also went ahead and cleaned the RJ45 that plugged into the thermostat. Everything started behaving as it should. (And yes, we to adjust the front temp based upon location of the temp sensor!).

I've added this to my annual maintenance, doing a cleaning of the connections within the AC return area.

Would not hurt to check if you have the same kind of set up with your era!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty