Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #1

Rear air bags not recognizing travel mode

I have a 1992 cc affinity with an HWH 500 series air leveling system. When the system goes into travel mode, the rear airbags are unresponsive.
Front end comes up and functions as it should.
Luckily, I have been able to manually manipulate the rear airbags to an acceptable ride height via the manual leveling mode.
Basically, my rear ride height leveling valves are not taking over in travel mode. I suppose both rear ride height valves could be faulty, but the likelihood of both going bad simultaneously seems slim.

It is also worth mentioning that my entire control box unit was sent into HWH about a year ago for a complete rebuild, so an issue there is unlikely. That said, I have checked all fuses in the control box and they are all good.

Perhaps my issue could be in the air solenoid manifold? I have an appointment to troubleshoot in a week and a half, just trying to do as much due diligence prior to in hopes of keeping my shop bill to a minimum.

Any thoughts on other possibilities? Any ideas/theories are much appreciated!
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

See if this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH 500 troubleshooting mauual.pdf (435.5 KB, 42 views)
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #3

Not to question your intelligence, but are you sure the rear has two ride height valves. I am not too familiar with your era, but I believe I've read where the older Chassis with the pre IFS had two in front, and one in rear.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
See if this helps.

Thanks for the resource! It would indicate that the issue is either in the control box (recently rebuilt by HWH) or the air solenoid(s).
Old 11-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Not to question your intelligence, but are you sure the rear has two ride height valves. I am not too familiar with your era, but I believe I've read where the older Chassis with the pre IFS had two in front, and one in rear.

Good thought and thank you. The rear of my 1992 gillig chasis does in fact has two ride height control valves. Not going to completely rule them out, but as mentioned in my original post, highly unlikely that both valves failed at the same time.

For the record, questioning of my intelligence is welcome and encouraged!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

I would agree with you that it's unlikely that both valves have gone out at the same time. Unless a good amount of moisture was allowed to get into the system, as these valves come off the wet tank. Have you drained the air tanks and checked for moisture lately?
Since your front valve is working that would rule out fuses, etc.
Considering your HWH leveling system is working properly looking over the 6 pack solenoids is a start, but before removing it I would manually exercise the ride height valves to check for air.
Obviously you'll need ramps and chocks to test them.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #7

^^^^^^^
Some good thoughts. Yes I have recently purged air from my system.

The six pack system is definitely where I will be focusing. I seem to recall reading somewhere at some time that the solenoids within the six pack are rebuildable. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Old 11-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

I have had two of mine apart and didn't re build. The valves can be taken out and sprayed with wd or similar lube and excercised. You can stick a small screw driver inside the valve and work it open and closed, it is spring loaded. I can't imagine both valves are stuck either but worth looking into.

If you take any of these valves out make sure you are on chocks and you drop the air in the suspension first. If you take out the travel valve the air will drop and so will the coach.

With coach aired up, key on and in travel mode hold a wrench to the nuts on top of one each of the six solonoids. The solonoids are magnetic and the wrench will attach its self to the nut on top indicating it is magnetizing. This will also identify the travel solonoids. From there you can figure out the rest.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 11-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #9

I also ordered a new replacement valve that I carry in my rv inventory in case one goes bad. I went through all three leveling valves, two went bad on the road at separate times, what a pita! So now have three new valves and I keep an hwh in stock just in case.
2007 Subaru Outback
Old 11-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I recently had some trouble with the HWH system on my 05 allure. In studying the service manual I learned that the travel mode and corresponding light only means the HWH system has relinquished control of the air ride system back to the chassis. That is why the green travel light is NOT
an indication that the chassis is at the proper height for traveling.
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, travel