Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Rear Main Leak?

I hope I'm posting in the correct forum.

The engine is a 300 hp Cummings the bus is a 1995 Country Coach Intrigue, it has a hundred & seventeen thousand miles. Not sure if more information is required for a diagnosis, if so I’ll be happy to post it. Thanks in advance for any help, before I take off to the mechanic………*

I took my CC in for an oil change this morning and got a call from the service dept telling me the rear main seal was leaking, the bus wasn’t low on oil and there was no oil stain under the vehicle. My question is this; could I have something else leaking besides a rear main?

RufusEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
I will leave this to the experts to answer, but i tend to believe if you don't see oil lost and no puddle of oil on the ground, why bother to fix it? for a 18+ year old engine, seepage of oil is no surprise, you can wait at the least.

2000 Country Coach Intrigue 40'
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Rear Main Leak

Well something is leaking fluid, so I really need to know what that could be. I understand the bus is old, but I still need to keep up the maintenance up on it. Besides it could be an easy fix, that’s why I’m asking. But thanks for your input...
RufusEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #4
This is a cheap guy trick, but you need to figure out whete the leak is, and this works well and is cheap.

Get some good degreaser or dawn or other cleaner and a spray bottle and brushes.

Raise it up and get cleaning on the engine.

No need to get to only paint or like new, just get the layers of crud off and give it a good look.

Then look again for fresh shiny oil, then follow the trail.

Clean again along the trail, may need better job to get exact spot.

Found many this way...
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Rufus Earl, your 1st post states "the bus wasn't low on oil and there was no oil stain under the bus"???? so why did the mechanic say you had a rear main seal leak??? Have you your self seen an oil spot under the coach where it was parked for a period of time. IF you had a rear main seal leak you will have an oil stain/streak under the unit in the vicinity of the bell housing/transmission mount. Drive is home and put cardboard under the unit. Check it the next morning for oil and go from there depending if oil is on the cardboard or not and how much.
2012 Journey 40U (Our Incredible Journey)
2008 Dodge Dakota
2004 Subaru Baja
D Lindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
CC rear main oil leak

Last year I bought 1999 C.C. Intrigue. I noticed a slight oil leak that appeared to be coming from the rear main seal. I whipped everything clean when I changed the oil. After the oil change I was underneath with the engine running checking for any oil leaks. I found the oil was leaking from a oil pressure sendor. The brass sensor was not even hand tight. It's very hard to see, located curbside above and forward of the starter. I just tightened it with a large open end wrench. I believe it was 1". This summer, i'll keep an eye on it.
Woodski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
It is difficult for us to give you good advice except those who say, check it further yourself. Doing so might save you some money, or ID some money well spent.

I get the same "oil leak" comments from Jiffy Lube on my Jeeps. Yet neither has left a spot on my garage floor. Nor do I see a wet "leak" when I slide under.

Absent any real evidence, I assume the mechanic is covering his axx or trying to spark some additional revenue for the repair.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Send a message via Yahoo to def
Oil leaks most always appear to be more serious than they really are. A 1/4 cup of transmission or engine oil looks like a gusher after you have driven it 50 miles....oil is all over everything under the coach. Yet, when you check oil levels, they are all fine.

If you can accurately identify the source of the leak, then you can likely fix it with a Lucas product or some other aftermarket additive.

Until then, fugetaboutit.
2000 HR Endeavor, 3126 CAT, Freightliner, "The Highway Hilton" pulling a BMW.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #9
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Rear Main seal leaks can be funny things. If the seal is really worn, then you will get a constant leak. Sometimes a bit of contaminant or crank case pressure will cause a temporary leak that will "fix itself" once the cause goes away. I had a 2004 Porsche that with under 800 miles burped a cup of oil onto the garage floor (from the RMS). Cleaned it all up and monitored it and it never happened again.
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For what it's worth I shoot my differential with my IR gun on every trip.

It runs about 160 degrees on average.

I figure if I lost fluid it would heat up so I kinda monitor it that way.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
Clean the crud off the bottom of the engine with a pressure washer. Drive it and monitor for leaks. Can try some additive to recondition seals if dried out. Changing rear main requires separating engine from transmission. If it's not leaking bad enough to lower oil level or leave a significant spot on the floor I would just drive it.
Ken Boerman
2000 Country Coach Allure
Maxout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #12

Good advice on cleaning and checking it yourself. While your cleaning and looking, take a look at the Crankcase Breather that hangs down the side of the engine. Make sure it is not restricted in any way. As mentioned in another post, high crankcase pressure will cause leaks and the first place to check is the breather to make sure it is doing its job.
Rear main seals can and do wear but the biggest cause of a leaking rear main seal is excessive crankshaft main bearing clearance or excessive crankcase pressure caused by worn combustion area parts. In this case, Putting in a new seal is a band aid fix.
In short, if in fact you do have a leaking seal, with the mileage you have, it can get real expensive real quick. So, do your homework and get a 2nd opinion. Far too many parts are replaced by people that either don't know or are looking for a way to generate more revenue.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote