Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #1

Red/green or what, antifreeze

Since i lost the majority of mine, with the leaking hose, i thought i would drain the radiator and replace. Now I am finding the HD is mostly red, what I ordered is red anyway. I have researched and found confusing information.
Mine was green EG(ETHYLENE GLYCOL) and the red is also EG Recommended for Cummins., i know some will be left in the system even as after the draining. My question is will it cause any problem to mix the two., i purchased Peak fleet guard.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
I don't know what type of coach you have, but regardless, would not know what to suggest on this anyway.

I thought that maybe you could call this RV center, they look like they are about the closet to you. If the service department can not answer that type of simple question for you, then maybe they would not be worth visiting... Just a thought.

Bradford Creek Coach & RV Center, Greenville, North Carolina 27858 - Bradford Creek Coach & RV Center, 2773 Sunny Side Road, GPS: 35.61227, -77.27291
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yours, like mine, probably had Fleetguard ES Compleat PG coolant, which is propylene glycol and is green. I just had my coolant drained, system flushed and refilled with ES Compleat OAT which is the extended life OAT coolant that needs no SCA's and should last years. Final Charge is another popular OAT coolant that many people use. Both of these coolants are red.

According to Gary (Spike) on the Cummins forum, mixing different types of coolants is not a good idea.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetguard (Red/Pink), Final Charge, etc. is what you want for your Cummins. The little bit that is left in the system should not hurt anything once it all gets mixed together.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just thinking about your situation a little bit more, if your radiator is already empty more or less, fill it up with water, run it for 20 minutes and drain it. This would ensure you got everything out, and only add about 30 minutes onto your project, also would not hurt to flush out system. Then you could refill with any of the RED radiator fluids. Its an extra step, but if it will set your mind at ease, might be worth doing.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
what is the Red antifreeze called ?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
what is the Red antifreeze called ?
Final Charge is red (made by Peak) and ES Compleat OAT is red and made by Fleetguard (Cummins). Peak also makes Fleet Charge which is pink but it is SCA premix and not an OAT coolant.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #8

The color of antifreeze doesn't tell you what it is. You have to read the jug. Some will even tell you that is it compatible with all solutions of antifreeze.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140717_103541.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	68185  
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

I wouldn't get to hung up on the colors. Ive seen green,red ,blue ,orange and some colors between. The thing is whether you want the newer extended life coolants which will perform longer or conventional which require monitoring for protection. Its not really the freezing were worrying about but the additive packs. the organic extended life coolant will not deplete nearly as fast. Most truck fleet operators have made the switch to ELC of some type. Both cat and cummins have there own as well as other brands. Some coolant filters come with a sca additive pack built in. If you switch to ELC you buy a coolant filter that is empty and contains no supplemental additive pack. Hope this doesn't sound confusing.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
ive added some green to mine i called cat they said it wouldn't hurt it just don't add any more ive added about a gallon fyi
Old 07-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Final Charge is red (made by Peak) and ES Compleat OAT is red and made by Fleetguard (Cummins). Peak also makes Fleet Charge which is pink but it is SCA premix and not an OAT coolant.
What I have looked at has the SCA , i am concerned now about the filter, where is it located? I have not kept up to par on antifreeze. The auto parts recommend Peak fleet guard. With sca, where is the filter located, if I have one?
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote