Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #1

Reduce wind whistle

Regular wind noise I can deal with but a whistle is not good. It got worse when I replaced lost window drip guards. Much less after putting electrical tape over the drip slot. But still have noise on passenger side.

I also get significant turbulent wind noise on the drivers side.

Any ideas?
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Duct tape, a large area. When the noise is gone remove small areas. When the noise returns, you found it.

The story goes; Cadillac had a model with a very loud whistle. They were having problems finding. A wind tunnel was used for testing. They found it, the Cadillac emblem in the center of the grill.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #3

Crack open a window in the coach to relieve the pressure.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

The turbulent noise may well be the side mirror. If that is the case, there's not much you can do about it.

When I worked in the auto industry, we had a problem with wind noise on a particular car model that was initially thought to be a window weatherstrip issue. After weeks of trying to figure it out, it turned out to be the shape of the side mirror. A redesign took care of it.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Community Moderator

I resolved the whistle noise by adding an air dam to the frontal frame of a side to side solar panel.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:51 PM   #6

Make sure there's a small silicone bead that's been applied along the side-window frame to coach body. It is usually along the top and both sides of the window frame. It can be on the bottom as well but is often skipped. (Perhaps for drainage?)

I had a window frame that wasn't fully seated against the fiberglass body, leaving a gap that wasn't filled properly with the factory silicone. Two things cured the whistle. I removed the window and found a small bump in the fiberglass body cutout that kept the window from fully seating like it should. 30 seconds with a Dremel and the bump was gone. The window went in easily after that and silicone applied along the top and sides. My wind noise/whistle was cured.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:42 PM   #7

Multiple decades of blissful marriage. And many years of very nice and quiet traveling down our highways in our RV. Yes, a good pair of earplugs - will do wonder's for both.

(I had to shift to earplugs. As the DW caught on that she did not actually need to remain within the Toad while traveling. But those first few years were some of the best...).

The tape technique around the door openings, widow edges, etc.. With the help of someone who will follow along for a few hours and help you eliminate sources, is a good technique. (Get in the RV. Tape door seals and windows edgers, etc... Go drive some. Stop. Have the friend untapped about 20% or so of the tape, and go drive some more. If still quiet, pullover and repeat another 20% or so removal, and test again. Win wind noise starts up again, you've narrowed the areas down to a 20% region to examine more closely....).

Best to all, and yes - the DW does not read these forums, so No Worries for my safety,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:57 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I have some wind noise that hasn't been found in over 170,000 miles. I have taped the windshield and surrounding gasket, had the wife tape me in the coach by placing tape around the door, taped the clearance lights on the eye brow, taped the mirrors, and it's still there. Sounds like the noise is coming from the upper corner on the pax side.

Guess I'll have to live with it.

I suggest using painters tape as it is easier to remove than duct tape.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:56 PM   #9

Air horns, Girard awning wind sensor. Just a thought.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote