Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I had my Samsung installed going on 3 years now,like dons2346 said just move the wiring to make it work with the inverter. I only have (4) 6-volt batteries and we did 5 days at the FMCA rally with no power, yes we had to run the gen-set about 2hrs in the morning and in the evening. This should give you an idea on what to do, this is not my install but it is the same setup.
Samsung Refrigerator Install
2 stroker
it triggered my curiosity on the link... great writeup!
has anyone noted that the load imbalance on the subpanel? i suppose it was from the manufacturer, but a little odd to my eyes...

here is the subpanel. the input (in green circle) is 30a, but load (in red circle) is added up to 70a. is this right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
If you tried to turn everything at once, you'd trip the CB on the inverter. Each circuit is protected by the listed CB, but none of the items would use the CB trip limit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #17

Thanks again, everyone, for the insight and solutions. After much dialog with the seller, the refrigerator issue has been resolved. It turns out that he just thought it wasn't working, but testing it out showed it worked just fine. He never dry camped, so wasn't very well versed in using the inverter.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35rocket View Post
It has a modified sine wave inverter. From what little I've read, Samsung refrigerators should work with this type.
You might want to check a bit more into this issue. The Samsung RF197 refrigerator which was available in the 2010-2015 period could be operated with MSW inverters and this was verified by Samsung in an online FAQ.

However, in ~2015 this model was replaced by the RF18 which, to my knowledge, uses a variable speed compressor and is very different internally from the RF197. I have no idea whether or not Samsung approves of the operation of this fridge with an MSW inverter. Unless the manufacturer agrees with the use of an MSW inverter you warranty may be at risk.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
That's great news Robert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you tried to turn everything at once, you'd trip the CB on the inverter. Each circuit is protected by the listed CB, but none of the items would use the CB trip limit.
You are right. However, many inverters, including mine, have the capability for 2in/2out configurations, but they are not being utilized this way. You can conceivably have two 30A circuits on the pass-through power. I'm not sure why the manufacturers do not take advantage of this feature.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not trying to hijack the thread, but have a question regarding the inverter. When hooking refer up to an inverter, are you not running off inverter all the time? I guess when engine is running you would be charging batteries, and when hooked up to shore power you would be charging the batteries as well. Obviously, if boondocking, you would have to periodically run the generator. Just curious, muy coach only has two house batteries as mentioned above.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Yes that correct it would run off the inverter. But since plugged in or gen charges the in / out flow has little effect on the batteries. larger coaches with inverter/ charger combined units may have pass through capabilities that sense 110 ( shore or generator ) and bypass the inverter shutting down the inverter and passing the 110 instead. In my coach the inverter must be "on" all the time in order to allow outside 110 to pass through to the inverter sub circuits.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
it triggered my curiosity on the link... great writeup!
has anyone noted that the load imbalance on the subpanel? i suppose it was from the manufacturer, but a little odd to my eyes...

here is the subpanel. the input (in green circle) is 30a, but load (in red circle) is added up to 70a. is this right?

This is the same as on your home panel ... A 100 or 200 amp main breaker can have much more when totaled up than the main breaker under it .
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
A lot of inverter/chargers (Magnum in general) can have the inverter turned off and still have pass-through power from shore or generator. Personally, I never turn off my inverter, but many do.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
This is the same as on your home panel ... A 100 or 200 amp main breaker can have much more when totaled up than the main breaker under it .
thanks. i was thinking if it was against nec code... guess i was over concerned.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
A lot of inverter/chargers (Magnum in general) can have the inverter turned off and still have pass-through power from shore or generator. Personally, I never turn off my inverter, but many do.
i used heart interface freedom 20d before and now using magnum ms2800. both auto transfer works fine either turned on or off.

Tags
refrigerator