Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #1

Replacing Air Dryer on a 02 Intrigue

My next project is to replace the air dryer. It has never had a new cartridge, or purge valve. Its going on 15 years, and has only been driven in the western states. The PO or myself has never had any moisture come from the drain valves.

I will be taking it to my local diesel shop to have the work done. Does anyone know what model I should be installing, and a estimated cost for both the dryer and install should be?

Is there anything else within the air system that I should be looking at besides the dryer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Oregon Motor Coach just did mine last summer.

3.1 hours labor for $355

AD-9 Cartridge $45

Purge Valve Assembly $125

Had to dismount rear brake cans to access during the process.

So about $500.

I have no clue if that is a good deal or bad deal but I will probably never have to have it done again......

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Deandec,

Thanks,
Wondering if its cheaper to just replace the whole dryer, as parts may not be available for the purge valve. Cannot find anywhere in my manual that states what model of dryer I have.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

I assumed I had the AD-4 Dryer shown in my chassis manual, but left the decisions to the experts. Both a truck stop and OMC used the AD-9 Dryer cartridge. I do not know if the cartridge is interchangeable or the PO changed the dryer many years ago. I have owned the rig for 14 years.

I do know I can buy all the parts for the Purge Valve system and the cartridge for a AD-4 online.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

In my chassis manual there is a photo of the air dryer, and the description of the parts are listed. But for the air dryer itself it only has a CC Part # 21499 Air Dryer Assembly 12V 75W.

This probably doesn't mean anything, but I have gone through the manual three times now, and thats all I can find.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
In my chassis manual there is a photo of the air dryer, and the description of the parts are listed. But for the air dryer itself it only has a CC Part # 21499 Air Dryer Assembly 12V 75W.

This probably doesn't mean anything, but I have gone through the manual three times now, and thats all I can find.
My manual shows the same part number as your manual, 21499. I used a genuine Bendix re-manufactured AD-IP Air Dryer 109477X. It cost $216.93 after core return at Pacific Truck Center in Coburg, OR. That's the complete assembly. I had it installed at the CAT shop down the road. They charged two hours labor.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
I had the complete assembly replaced at WW Williams in Tucson, they are currently running a special $318 plus shop supplies charge of a few dollars.

Ray
2000 Intrigue
Old 03-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #8

I ended up having mine changed here at Rush Truck Center here in Boise. Cost came right at $400. They installed a rebuilt Meritor AD-IP. They said that the original one they took off looked almost new after 14 years. I did have the option of installing a brand new Bendix brand but it was $140 more and didn't really see any reason for the additional cost.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #9

In general air dryers should be serviced about every two years according to Bendix. There have been reports where the replacement cartage ruptured due to age spewing desiccant beads or white powder inside the air system lines.

http://www.bendix.com/media/document...otingguide.pdf
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

If you are at all handy it is a fairly straightforward service issue, much like replacing an oil filter. I had to replace the entire unit (Wabco) which took a bit more time, but very do able.