Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #1
TTD

Replacing Cameras

Not happy with the quality of my cameras and/or the screen they are displayed on.

2008 CC Allure Crane Prairie.

I have accessed the back of the cameras (2 side and one rear) and replacing will not be hard.

I am thinking about this system:

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/rvs-0...-lcd-3018.html

If I get it, I'll replace the side and rear... and then maybe put the 4th one on top of roof facing forward - could help with those low bridges and overhangs?

Anyway, has anyone done something like this? My plan is to mount the new screen where it's visible and always on. I can split the screen so I can always see the 2 sides and back.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I found Tadibrothers to be great to work with. You can purchase complete systems or retrofit components. I'd suggest getting them on the phone as I was able to select different components and a better price by doing so.

https://www.tadibrothers.com/categor...camera-systems
Old 01-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #3
TTD

Thanks...they were my second choice.

It appears their side camera only attached with glue backing... I'd prefer something that screws to the coach.

I will look closer into that.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #4

We had side cameras installed. When she turns the directional signal, on the screen will show that side of the coach. My only regret is we didn't do it sooner.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My side camera's are mounted in the side view mirrors, but, frankly, I don't bother looking at the combo screen inside. I learned to use my mirrors years ago and find that still works fine. I also find the switch over time is too long.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #6

I had someone wanting to put cameras in the mirrors, didn't like the idea. I ma happy that the DW loves them. Its all about what you get use too.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #7

So the camera on most models and I know the 2008 Allure are part of the coach. To replace the camera you need to remove the small square painted housing on the back of the coach, which is the camera. It has the angle for viewing. How would you install a new system that flush mounts into the existing area?

08 Allure 37 Sunset
turbine52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #8
TTD

To be clear, I am actually not a fan of the put the signal on and wait for the camera to show.

My plan is to mount a second monitor that will always show each side of the coach and the rear view. I'd like to mount this pretty much straight on from the driver's seat. While I am comfortable using my mirrors, it just seems easier to look at the cameras.

As for how I plan to do the back camera, I will leave it in place and mount the second camera right below it. I will disconnect the first camera and use the same RCA cable to power/display the new camera. I will disconnect it from where it goes now up front, and run it to the new monitor.

Well... that's the plan anyway. I was hoping someone else already did something similar?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #9

Just a thought on the always on cameras. I had 2 screens for a while and I noticed it was just too much light at night. I ended up turning one off so it was not so distracting.
cntrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:01 AM   #10
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrylife View Post
Just a thought on the always on cameras. I had 2 screens for a while and I noticed it was just too much light at night. I ended up turning one off so it was not so distracting.
Hmmm... that is definitely something to consider. I will check the view at night before mounting anything permanently.

I plan to only have one 7 inch screen - split left/center/right for each camera - so I think I'll be ok... but best to check.

Hopefully the screen is adjustable for brightness too, I will check on that before purchasing.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #11

I installed the Rearview Safety rear and side cameras on my coach. I have the single 7” monitor (not the quad-view), which I manually toggle to the side cameras when desired. I opted not to switch the side cameras with the turn signal for the same reasons others mentioned, but that’s just personal preference. There’s enough going on without introducing more buttons to press and taking my eyes off the road just so I can look... at the road. I’ve found that I don’t use the side cameras nearly as much as I thought I would as it’s quicker to look at the mirrors than toggle through the three cameras. It would be nice to have a larger multi-view screen or two separate monitors for the left and right cameras. I would like to add those sometime in the future.

I am impressed with the image quality and the automatic switching to night vision is excellent and seamless. The monitor is a little bright at nighttime however. My only complaint is that you have to go into the settings to adjust the brightness whereas it would be mush easier if there were a dimming knob or button on the faceplate.

Overall, the system was a massive improvement over the original setup.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
TTD

I ended up with the Tadi brothers equipment... got it at the Tampa rv show last week.

Installation was pretty easy, but my rear view camera is faulty... so they are sending me a new one.

I mounted the 9 inch screen above... hanging from my overhead cabinets. When sitting behind the wheel, it's only a slight eye movement up to see all 3 cameras. I will likely leave the rear view across the top half of the screen, and the side cams will split the bottom half.

System comes with a remote to adjust screen brightness and which cams to view... so I don't have to reach up to do anything. First driving test will be in a week... time will tell.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:00 PM   #13

Looked at the same equipment at the show last week. So how did you end up mounting the rear camera? Which camera did you get? Any pictures of the mount? How hard was it to complete the installation.

08 Allure 37 Sunset
turbine52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #14
TTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine52 View Post
Looked at the same equipment at the show last week. So how did you end up mounting the rear camera? Which camera did you get? Any pictures of the mount? How hard was it to complete the installation.
08 Allure 37 Sunset
If you are using your existing monitor, then you don't have to access the equipment up front... just switch the camera out. I had to remove my dash cover pod (2 screws) and run the other end of the wires to my new monitor.

As for the cameras themselves...

Rear camera was actually the easiest for me to mount... hopefully the replacement one will work better (the night vision wasn't working on the one I got from the show..they are sending me a replacement tomorrow). Here's the link:

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...birds-eye-view

On my coach, the back is a bathroom vanity cabinet ... inside of that was a 1 foot square access panel that opened up to the rear camera. Just switch the wires from the old cam to the new one. (the camera itself did not seem removable and replaceable, so I left it)

I drilled one hole about 10 inches below the other camera to insert the wires. I have a black stripe on the coach so I put the hole in that and the black camera virtually disappears when viewed from the back. You only really see it from the sides where it does stick out... but it looks professional.

WARNING: If you get the same rear cam, be sure to mount the bracket correctly... one way you can tilt the cam down... the other up. Do it wrong and you have to take it off and flip it... no permanent damage as the holes all line up, but you have to go back up the ladder.

I can't seem to figure out how to upload an image from my computer without first putting it on the internet to get a URL?

Tags
camera