Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

Retread tires

Does anybody know anything about retreading tires for motorhomes? Would they be safe for travel? I bought a Country Coach that had retread tires installed on it an I was a little nerves driving it home from Kansas to California.

Thanks for the help crew.
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:32 PM   #2

We see lots of these retreads on the road. Literally. Lying on the road like oversized hoola hoops. I would share your distrust of them. One thing to put them on atrailer, whole different game to put them on drive or steering wheels, IMHO.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

retreads

Think of your MH as your car, would you trust them for your family?
siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
It is illegal to use recaps on the steer axle. The quality of the casing, the quality of workmanship and inspection discipline of the shop that does the recapping is paramount in producing a quality recap tire for use either on a trailer or the drive position on a commercial truck. A quality recapped tire should be just fine to use on the drive axle of a motorhome, just as it is for any trucking company. The vast majority of motor home owners do not have either the experience or access to those in the tire retread business therefore the safest route is to use new tires on the drive axle when you need to replace them. FWIW, when I was in the fleet maintenance business, I would NEVER use a recapped tire that did not originate from my own fleet. That way, I had confidence in the casing that was being recapped.

Based on the article JohnRR links to below, I stand corrected on the use of recaps on the steer axle on trucks and motor homes. However, in my own case and in my fleet operations I would never use a recap as a steer tire.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

The problem with retreaded tires is that you do not have the history of the carcass being retreaded. Most trucking companies that run retreads use their own carcasses. As often as a motor home wears out tires (like almost never) it is probably not worth it. Bye the way, it is a common practice for school districts to run retreads on school bus drive axles.

The majority of the "road gators" out on the highway are not treads from retreads but from regular tires that were just run flat. Properly installed retread bands on properly inflated tires do not come off. That said never run retreads on the steer axle.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Information purposes only

The myth behind using retreads on steer axles - Retail - Modern Tire Dealer
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do not run retreads on your MH unless you have lots of money for repairs when, not if, the cap comes off.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:51 PM   #8

For the few dollars in savings why would anyone even consider a retread tire on an expensive RV? I want to be as safe and carefree as possible while I am traveling down the road enjoying the experience of owning an overly priced toy. I just replaced 6 YO tires just because I thought it best. Money wasted? Nah, peace of mind is hard to put a value on IMO.
I gave the old tires to a friend who has a delivery van. So far he has had no problem but that's fine. There were less than 7,000 miles on those tires but I did see some weather checking starting to appear. My wife, mother to my children and grandchildren sits in the passenger's seat most of the time we go out. She is worth a whole lot more than the few $ I would save running worn out carcass tires even though the tread was new.
Lynn
Old 10-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #9

OP, are you nuts? Look along the interstates. Over the road trucks shred these frequently.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneal49 View Post
Does anybody know anything about retreading tires for motorhomes? Would they be safe for travel? I bought a Country Coach that had retread tires installed on it an I was a little nerves driving it home from Kansas to California.

Ok, good you got home. Yes this is a controversial question. I personally wouldn't run recaps especially on the steer tire. I would be looking at atleast 2 new tires. Are you a FMCA member? I would be looking at their Michelin advantage program for prices on tires. Now you can buy tires for your toad or any other vehicle using this plan. I just saved $172.00 on 4 tires for my CR-V.
I would seriously try to replace all the recaps because one problem could cost more than the new tiers.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
OP, are you nuts? Look along the interstates. Over the road trucks shred these frequently.
I don't think the OP was intending to run retreads ("I was a little nerves driving it home from Kansas to California"). I recall a few years ago reading about a scientific study where the researchers drove along Interstate highways collecting hundreds of samples of road alligators. They had the rubber analyzed and it was determined that the majority of the rubber was from original cast tires, not retreads.

There is also another option for tires that I have seen on RV's, including my 2005 when I purchased it last year. The tires were marked "may be re-grooved". Don't know if I would take this route either just to save a couple bucks.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
What's the value of your life and your family's safety? You bought a quality motor coach ... don't skimp on tires
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #13

Just my opinion but I say absolutely not. Safety and peace of mind trump saving a few dollars. And it's not just the safety of those traveling in your coach but those following behind you as well. Again, just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneal49 View Post

Most MH tires still have plenty of tread left when their sidewalls have become unsafe, so I can't imagine that you would ever want to or need to retread your tires. Michelin recommends inspecting the tires after 5 years and many if not most MH owners replace their tires long before they would need a retread due to age of tires. Generally between 6 and 8 years of life depending on tire manufacturer. I have read of one MH blogger who takes great care of his tires with the goal of using them for 10 years, he covers the tires whenever he is parked, he diligently checks the tire pressure vs the load they are carrying and he has them inspected. I go what I consider the safer route I just replace them after 7 years of use. I personally would have no confidence in the safety of retreads.

Tags
tires