Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #1

Ride height valve failures

New owner of a 02 Allure SRTS. Prior owner had repair shop replace DS height control valve due to inop...left rear not coming to level. 1 month later (now my coach) I have the front height control valve failure. In shop. Q: should I also replace the remaining PS rear air height control valve as a preventive measure? Seems like a domino effect going on.
Do these valves fail at the same time? Coach has 40K miles.
Thx, Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've never had one fail in the 15 years we owned rigs with air suspension, but they're relatively cheap, it's the labor and possible tow that'll get you. If it's in the shop you might be money ahead to replace the other one.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Ours are servicable.

Inside is schreader valves and a oring.

But ours are from1989 yours may be different.

Remove the non working one and source a replacement then tear down the bad one and see what you can do with it.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Ride height valve failures

Sound like the O rings have dried out? Yes, maybe a good idea to do the third and final air valve. I can get the parts for my rebuild.
Beginning to understand how the valves are built.
Thx, Bob
Old 05-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

As mentioned, probably the relatively inexpensive Haldex valve. We had our front (One in front, and two in the corners on the rear.) go out two years ago. Still running with OEM rears.

As as mentioned, many coaches are still running with al three OEM valves.

By manually leveling, and then pulling the fuse to the leveling system, you should never get stranded and require a two just from a valve failure.

IMO, a more important maintenance item - often missed - is the air cartridge. If no documentation of this being replaced, that I would jump on at the next service.

Best of luck to you, go have some fun,
Smitty
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I have taken ride valves apart to see what makes them tick. You would be surprised as to how frail they really are. There is a little plastic pin about the size of pencil lead that breaks off and that kills the valve.

I would replace the other valve and keep it as a spare.

You do know how to get the coach to ride height with a broken valve?

See post#9 here Air leveling, weak compressor??
Old 05-03-2015, 06:33 PM   #7

One other failure point with leveling is the HWH solenoid. Probably doesn't fail often but did on my rear driver side. I was passing near HWH and stopped by to have them check to make sure the problem was a ride height valve. I didn't want to get to another repair place and have them point fingers at HWH. Turned out it was HWH problem.

BTW. They don't do ride height control valves.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

Don: I know now how to set the height manually. Thx.. Bob
Old 05-03-2015, 08:05 PM   #9

I'll check the maintenance on the air dryer cartridge history.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:57 PM   #10

So, new ride height valves on frt and PS rear. Prev DS replaced about 2 mo ago. Rides great! Was having an issue with bottoming out
over some abnormal bumps on road. Now, no bottoming out..maybe setting correct ride height to spec AND new valve corrected a driving problem?
HOWEVER, I now have a red lite(DS Rear) AFTER moving about a block down the road. When I level the coach from a full air dump, all red liters on all corners are on....good! Then sw to travel mode (HWH500) lites are off, good. move about a block and the DS corner red lite comes on. The red lie will flicker over a harsh bump. When leveled for an overnight, there is no loss of air...pump does not come on.
Have tried to call HWH and after three days they CB and my phone does not connect...twice.
The FL tech set the ride height on the frt and PS. Maybe the DS needs to be set?
I measured the fender wells for reference. Side to side shows DS about 1in lower than PS. Hmmmm. Any ideas?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorykitty01 View Post
So, new ride height valves on frt and PS rear. Prev DS replaced about 2 mo ago. Rides great! Was having an issue with bottoming out
over some abnormal bumps on road. Now, no bottoming out..maybe setting correct ride height to spec AND new valve corrected a driving problem?
HOWEVER, I now have a red lite(DS Rear) AFTER moving about a block down the road. When I level the coach from a full air dump, all red liters on all corners are on....good! Then sw to travel mode (HWH500) lites are off, good. move about a block and the DS corner red lite comes on. The red lie will flicker over a harsh bump. When leveled for an overnight, there is no loss of air...pump does not come on.
Have tried to call HWH and after three days they CB and my phone does not connect...twice.
The FL tech set the ride height on the frt and PS. Maybe the DS needs to be set?
I measured the fender wells for reference. Side to side shows DS about 1in lower than PS. Hmmmm. Any ideas?

While I can't answer your particular question, I can highly recommend for any new CC owner the technical assistance offered by Kevin Waite and his BIL Butch Williams. They are former CC builders/techs and provide, for a reasonable annual fee, unlimited tech support to you or anyone working on your coach. It has saved me more than I paid easily and allowed me to fix several items without having to take the coach to a shop.

Kevin Waite 541.953.6162

kvn.wt.7629@gmail.com
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #12

Smlranger: Did not know about Kevin's service fee. I'll follow up. Interesting comment on Kevin. When I first had the ride height problem, I e mailed several CC sources on ride height specs. Kevin answered me that day..on a Sunday night! I'm still waiting for the other CC sources. I agree that his services would be a great 'leg up' to get thru the NEW challenges.
Thx for the tip. Bob
Old 05-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #13

You need to have the driver side ride height adjusted. It doesn't do any good to set one side without checking the other as they have an effect on each other. You might have to go back and forth once or twice to get things right. The best way to do it is after adjusting the valves, go drive it a bit and then recheck the adjustment.

I'll be at the coach today and will look up the measurements for adjusting the valves.

In leveling the coach with the HWH system, the ride valves have no say so in the coach getting level or not. There is a sensor in the roof of the bay behind the propane tank that determines if the coach is level or not. You will see an access panel and it is behind that. If you have ever been on some rough roads and then into a campground and the coach won't level, get in the middle of the coach and go side to side so as to rock the coach and then re level.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #14

Bob, sent you a PM