Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Road King Shocks

I am considering buying a set of Road King shocks for the front of our 2005 Inspire. Since they are a bit pricey, I would like some feedback from those who have changed from Koni or Bilstien to Road Kings. Is there enough ride improvement, sway reduction and less bottoming out to justify the cost?
Jerry

Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #2

I replaced the 2 front Bilsteins with Road King and yes they firmed up the sway and porposing, I didn't have an issue with bottoming to begin with, I am getting ready to replace the rear, the nice thing about the Kings is you can send them back and have them re valved if your not happy with the damping.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #3

I'm a fan of Road Kings, and what is nice (or was, assume still is) - once you try them if you don't like the ride, they'll revalve them for you.

That being said, I also hear the Koni Adjustable SP3 generation are a good improvement over the SP1 and SP2 generation. They give you the ability to change the settings on a scale of 1 thru 5 - so easier then sending them off for a revalve. Lots lest $$ too. (The SP3, third generation, came out after I bought the Road Kings to replace my way overwhelmed SP1 generation. I've posted this before, but my 40' IDF front end 2005 Allure, had the same exact Koni Adjustable part number that I put on our 28' Beam F53 chassis Bounder.) I believe if I were to do it today. I'd put the Road Kings on the front, and Koni Adjustable SP3 on the rear (and for our coach, plus the Tag).

This is also because I added the Super Steer Motion Control units on front and rear. These really help on 'setting' the chassis faster on say S curve roadways, or dips, or going thru at an angle a driveway. Besides Super Steer, I think you can now also get the same kind of one way air check valve, from Source Engineering.

I suspect adding Road Kings to your front end, and one of the Motion Control Unit type check valves in your air lines, may surprise you on the improvement in handling. (Assume you have four corner weights and set the PSI per the Tire Manufacturers recommendations. A key step in setting up the chassis for best possible ride and handling, IMO.)

That is also assuming that your rear shocks are not shot/warn out. If they test out OK. You might try the front shocks and control units first. If not pleased, then you can always decide how much more you feel you need. Then decide between the Road Kings or Koni Adjustable SP3 for the rear.

I will also admit that I have zero Inspire experience, all of this is based upon research for our 40' Tag Allure - so I'd for sure listen to fellow Inspire owners over my input. But, felt it did not hurt to share what I had found - it might assist you in your decision process.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 10-21-2014, 10:34 PM   #4

I installed the road kings on my 05 inspire and was happy with how well they performed and the service from road king at the time was great. Since then I tried to buy some 3 inch for my new machine and the service sucked. I was never able to get to the point of even being able to order so I just dropped it and will stay with the factory shocks.
Rod
Old 10-22-2014, 03:51 AM   #5
laj

put the 3 inch on mine and never looked back. their great and with lifetime warranty too. never had an issue with the company then or now, answered all my questions and was more then willing to re-valve anytime if wanted or needed. would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
No question the Road King's seem to have a stellar reputation. I elected to go with the Koni SP3 adjustables on the steer axle and added the Super Steer MCU's front and rear. I still have the OEM Koni FSD's on the rear and the coach rides and handles well.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #7

I added the Road King's to our '08 Inspire 36' just about 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did for the coach. No regrets whatsoever. If you plan to keep the coach for a while, I don't see the point in fussing with a shock that may be half the price, but I doubt it'll last near as long so then you'll be forking out $ again in say, 3-5 years for a new set.
My $.02.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Before you spend a lot of money let me tell my experience with my 05 Inspire because I was also looking at Road Kings but a little reluctant to spend that much. I took some advice from another post Yahoo Country Coach and raised the ride height just slightly about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. No more bottoming out and still had a nice ride without any harshness. I now have a Intrigue and may try the same thing.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #9

Put them on all 4 corners of our coach and loved them
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
Before you spend a lot of money let me tell my experience with my 05 Inspire because I was also looking at Road Kings but a little reluctant to spend that much. I took some advice from another post Yahoo Country Coach and raised the ride height just slightly about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. No more bottoming out and still had a nice ride without any harshness. I now have a Intrigue and may try the same thing.
By raising the ride height, you might have gone too far with the rear and now there is undue stress on the driveline u joints. I would monitor the condition of them closely
Old 10-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

Have had our Road Kings on for a couple years now....I don't regret it at all, Improved the driveability immensely!!!!!
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #12

Great responses Guys! I think I will go ahead and order the Road Kings. I had planned to raise the ride height on the front when I installed them. My coach is about a 1/4" under spec on front ride height and I think I will go an extra 1/4" on top of that. The coach sits a little low on the front.
Thanks to everyone!
Jerry
Old 10-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Great responses Guys! I think I will go ahead and order the Road Kings. I had planned to raise the ride height on the front when I installed them. My coach is about a 1/4" under spec on front ride height and I think I will go an extra 1/4" on top of that. The coach sits a little low on the front.
Thanks to everyone!
Jerry
Hi Jerry - Inspires may be different then my 04 Allure. If you know the CC members on the Yahoo CC User Group, you may have read some of Mikee's posts. The gent knows his stuff, I believe that is an understatement.

At least for the Allure, their are minimum and maximum height settings. Mikee's recommendation to help on handling problems, was to go to the 'Maximum Height' setting.

1/4" is not very much, but Don's caution on impact to drive chain is a valid caution.

Suggest a call to CC to ask for Min/Max settings on the front end. Possibly try the max setting first along with the new Road Kings for awhile and see how it works out. And I do also recommend, at a small overall cost, the Motion Control Unit (Or Source Engineering's version of these check valves.). These really do help 'set' the suspension faster under many different road conditions.

Best of luck on your RK's and whatever way you go with other changes!
Smitty
Old 10-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #14

I already have the CC ride height specs. I thought since it was 1/4" below spec that I would raise it that 1/4 and another 1/4 to see what difference it would make. It is easy to add a little more if necessary. I am only going to raise the front so the driveline angles will not be affected.
Jerry

Tags
shocks