Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2018, 09:22 PM   #1

Roof A/C issues

My front A/C unit stopped working this last week while we were in El Centro Ca., luckily it was cool there and was able to live with the rear unit. The issue is the compressor kicks on but the fan will not run, today I removed the shroud and the motor turns freely so I turned the unit on and turned the fan with my hand and it started. My initial thought was that the fan motor was bad and needs replaced. However after doing some reading I'm wondering if it's a bad start capacitor. My rear unit also labors some when it initially starts. Anyone have this problem before or other thoughts?
1999 CC Allure 36 DTSG #30317
USAF Retired
dhetrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

I had the same problem recently and replaced all three capacitors and it works fine . $35 fix
BernieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds more like the run capacitor.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:14 PM   #4

I agree with Ben try replacing the fan run capacitor. The larger mfd run capacitor and start capacitor are for the compressor only. If that doesn’t work the motor is probably in need of changing.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhetrick2 View Post
My front A/C unit stopped working this last week while we were in El Centro Ca., luckily it was cool there and was able to live with the rear unit. The issue is the compressor kicks on but the fan will not run, today I removed the shroud and the motor turns freely so I turned the unit on and turned the fan with my hand and it started. My initial thought was that the fan motor was bad and needs replaced. However after doing some reading I'm wondering if it's a bad start capacitor. My rear unit also labors some when it initially starts. Anyone have this problem before or other thoughts?
Here's what I did. Capacitors are cheap in motor home dollars.

Heat Pump Capacitor Replacement

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #6

Ok thanks I will give that a try. Any advantages to adding a hard start capacitor? like I mentioned my rear A/C seems to start slow when it kicks on.
USAF Retired
Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

Don't know much about the hard-start kits/components. There are some threads here on iRV2 that mention them.

Insofar as practical, I like to keep things as close to original as I can.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

I also replaced the run and start capacitors on my rear AC. Take a picture of the numbers on the existing ones and search online. I bought mine from Acklands.

PS we just left El Centro, Rio Bend RV resort. I love the area. We winter there.

Brian

EDIT: Forgot to mention I added a hard start to my past 5ver AC, simply because it was a 15K BTU and I used a 2000W Honda for boon docking. The hard start simply reduces inrush current required to start the compressor. With the generators we have on our coaches I do not need to install a hard start. Simply there is more than enough gen capacity to start any and all of the AC's. Should not be a concern when you are on shore power.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
I also replaced the run and start capacitors on my rear AC. Take a picture of the numbers on the existing ones and search online. I bought mine from Acklands.

PS we just left El Centro, Rio Bend RV resort. I love the area. We winter there.

Brian

EDIT: Forgot to mention I added a hard start to my past 5ver AC, simply because it was a 15K BTU and I used a 2000W Honda for boon docking. The hard start simply reduces inrush current required to start the compressor. With the generators we have on our coaches I do not need to install a hard start. Simply there is more than enough gen capacity to start any and all of the AC's. Should not be a concern when you are on shore power.
We were also at Rio bend, we stopped there for four days on our way to San Diego. Great RV park, we will definitely be going back. Guess I didn't fully understand the purpose of the hard start kit. Thanks
USAF Retired
Old 03-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

Hard start capacitors support less inrush, this is assuming your compressor/fan motors are not drawing more than new condition; if they are on their last legs, ie increased current to start/operate then hard start would may help with the start. Better to replace the existing capacitors first and see if that resolves the problem. Cheaper interim fix, IMHO. If not then you can look at replacing fan motor/compressor - or replacing entire unit. I liked the fact I could keep the existing unit with its matching shroud, I have a bit of OCD for symmetry.... :LOL:

We've been going to Rio Bend for about 5 years, wife's sisters and BILS have been there for about 7 or so years. We have seen a lot of improvements over the years and really enjoy the small golf course. Of course there are issues at every RV resort; my opinion on a good RV resort is how they respond to issues.... It has been getting better at Rio Bend.

I also enjoy the fact Rio Bend is 8 miles west of El Centro (Walmart, Costco, etc) and we are in the "country" - we ride our bicycles out around the fields of broccoli, carrots etc every morning. And the weather is about 10F warmer than the Phoenix valley. Only bad is CA taxes/incremental costs to AZ.

Take Care,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Hard start capacitors support less inrush, this is assuming your compressor/fan motors are not drawing more than new condition; if they are on their last legs, ie increased current to start/operate then hard start would may help with the start. Better to replace the existing capacitors first and see if that resolves the problem. Cheaper interim fix, IMHO. If not then you can look at replacing fan motor/compressor - or replacing entire unit. I liked the fact I could keep the existing unit with its matching shroud, I have a bit of OCD for symmetry.... :LOL:

We've been going to Rio Bend for about 5 years, wife's sisters and BILS have been there for about 7 or so years. We have seen a lot of improvements over the years and really enjoy the small golf course. Of course there are issues at every RV resort; my opinion on a good RV resort is how they respond to issues.... It has been getting better at Rio Bend.

I also enjoy the fact Rio Bend is 8 miles west of El Centro (Walmart, Costco, etc) and we are in the "country" - we ride our bicycles out around the fields of broccoli, carrots etc every morning. And the weather is about 10F warmer than the Phoenix valley. Only bad is CA taxes/incremental costs to AZ.

Take Care,
Brian
Also NAF El Centro is right there, I am retired military so we can go to the commissary. Well I pulled the cover and capacitors out and took pictures of them. Was able to find the run capacitor easily but the start capacitor not so easy, found them on amazon. The weird thing is I had been working on the generator for not running right and when I got it fixed and running I thought I would turn the rear A/C on to load the generator, well low and behold the front A/C kicked on and ran for 30 min or so with no problems. Maybe I had a loose wire or who knows so I will replace the capacitors when they get here and see what happens next. Thanks to all for responses.

Dave
USAF Retired
Old 03-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #12

Dave the start capacitor is only used on the compressor. The fan requires a run capacitor. Any refrigeration supply house in the valley will have the correct one. If they wont sell it to you get hold of me and I'll get you one. In fact I can put it on will call for you in the east valley and you can pick it up. I just need to know the size. Should be stamped on the cap.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
Dave the start capacitor is only used on the compressor. The fan requires a run capacitor. Any refrigeration supply house in the valley will have the correct one. If they wont sell it to you get hold of me and I'll get you one. In fact I can put it on will call for you in the east valley and you can pick it up. I just need to know the size. Should be stamped on the cap.
Thanks Bill I appreciate it, I did find the capacitors on Amazon and installed the run capacitor yesterday, sure enough that was problem. Thanks to you and all that contributed to my post. This forum is an invaluable source of information, especially for a new coach owner.
USAF Retired
Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IT Is possible the start winding on the motor is toast

But you have described a bad start cap to a "T". I'd do iot first. I mean why spend like 200 dollars when it may only be 20? or less.

Tags
roof