Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Roof grime

Roof crud, I let my 95 CC sit to long outside and I have a buildup of black grime on the roof. I was wondering if anyone had a good cleaner to remove side grime. I’ve tried soap/water and elbow grease, no luck, any advice is welcome….

RufusEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
I've never gotten that black spots off, but they don't hurt anything.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
I've had pretty good results with industrial degreaser but ... it's gonna' strip wax if it drips.

ZEP 1 gal. Industrial Purple Degreaser-ZU0856128 at The Home Depot
2005 Newmar Essex 4502
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
I used scrubbing bubbles with a fine scotch brite I got at a paint store. I got my wifes flat plastic mop head that uses different attachments. I laid the scotchbrite on the roof then used the mob head to scrub and it came out nice and white. The scotchbrite was about a foot square.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
Bar Keepers Friend scotch bright as above rinse well and then wax with multiple coats.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
I wet the roof down with Dawn dish washing soap and warm water and then power wash it, pretty effective on the oak tree goo.
Dale & Suzi C.
"Haulin Aus" (Mini Australian Shepherds - Cool Hand Luke & Perro Rojo)
2005 Country Coach Inspire - 2004 Jeep Rubicon Towed
Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Country Coach Owners Club
If your '95 CC has the two fiberglass tread areas lengthwise down the roof like mine does, I found that using the pressure washer gently cleared away the black deposits just fine.

I did create a leak at my Sat Dome wire entrance by being too aggressive with the washer the first time, but that was easily repaired.

I do this process once a year and am about to give it this years bath.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #8
I use this for my trex deck and any other black stuff or green stuff but I suggest trying a small spot first.

It's called 60 seconds when I put it in my sprayer and cover a area in 60 seconds it looks like new I then wash it off, it does have a little bleach so I would spray it from a bottle let it work then wash off with a wet towel.

I use it on my fence, sidewalk, decks and moss it is the best stuff ever invented, I tried bleach and water with no luck what ever else is in that stuff it works.

Lowes has it
2005 Country Coach Allure 37ft Tag
Toad 2014 Rubicon Jeep
Ssgritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
I don't know about black spots as I have used 303 protectant. this is what Country coach recomends to put on a fiberglass roof yearly. After eleven years my roof looks close to new.
Rex 2003 Intrigue 11543
dues paid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:00 AM   #10
We went with a new roof top finish, BusKote, which a few other board members had recommended. It provides a bit of extra cooling during the hot South West months, and slight insulation for rain/hail noise. Before this, I washed yearly with Simple Green and on areas that needed a bit more Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean. Then we too would follow up when dry, with Aerospace 303. Mid year, I'd do a simple roof wash, and then a second application of 303. This kept the roof looking white, and the only streaks from the roof were from dust/dirt accumulation running off in dew or first rains.

Only had BusKote on for about 6 months how, and like it so far.

Best to all,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote