Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #1

Roof heat problem

I was running my generator and turned on roof air on heat to put a load to work the gen. I then turned on my washer dryer combo to run the pink stuff through it for a minute, I then walked outside and came back in I then noticed one my roof air was not running? I turned everything off including the gen. Then turned on the Gen. Waited for the tv and other things came on, my amp gauge said 2 amps so I turned on the heater to electric and it will not turn on roof air it keeps blinking "gas" and the electric light is on? I have checked the breaker and it is ok?

42 degrease outside I have it set to 70 any ideas both will not run now
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2015, 02:30 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like too big of a difference between inside coach temp, and temp your asking for,so your thermostat has switched to furnace, from heat pump.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

So it knows the difference and that's why it blinks gas?
Old 11-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Believe so.
You could try setting your thermostat just a few deg higher than your inside temp, and see if your heat pump stays on. If it does, just keep bumping up the setpoint as the coach warms up.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If you actually have a heat pump and not just an electric heater the heat pump is no longer efficient at 42* so it asks if you want to go to gas heat.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Coleman roof AC/heat pumps and Aqua Hot. When I set the T stats for 'electric' heat, both the heat pumps and the Aqua Hot will run if the inside temp differential is more than 5 or so degrees. They both remain on producing heat until the set temp is reached. Next cycle only heat pumps run.

My heat pumps seem to be able to produce some heat down to about 38 - 40 degrees.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

Thanks I will try tomorrow when I can check it
Old 11-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
Community Moderator

well, my roof a/c is duo-therm. i set 68f and selected heat pump on t-stat. it keeps up the temp pretty well though outside temp at night is around 35f in past few days (bayarea).
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

We were in Lone Pine, CA this past weekend where it was in the 20's. I couldn't get the furnace to run! Aqua Heat was working fine, just couldn't get the furnace fan to run. Went with the roof heat pumps and got the rear to work but not the front! Can't they both run on a 50amp service?

On another not, we left in the coach towing my Jeep, lost the alternator (I pretty sure) had it towed to Barstow where I'm waiting on a phone call for the damage report!
RJPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPerry View Post

On another not, we left in the coach towing my Jeep, lost the alternator (I pretty sure) had it towed to Barstow where I'm waiting on a phone call for the damage report!
For future consideration.

Attach a jumper cable from the Chassis battery positive terminal to the House Battery positive terminal.

Start your generator.

You can drive forever this way without an alternator, although a few 100 miles would be best.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
For future consideration.

Attach a jumper cable from the Chassis battery positive terminal to the House Battery positive terminal.

Start your generator.

You can drive forever this way without an alternator, although a few 100 miles would be best.
Yea, I've done that before with my Beaver, but I couldn't start the generator as ALL batteries were down to 9-10 volts! That also has me concerned....why were the chassis batteries down as well? My guess is when the alternator went south, it was still dark and my lights drained them??

(Must remember to return jumper cables back to the coach)
Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPerry View Post
I couldn't get the furnace to run! Aqua Heat was working fine, just couldn't get the furnace fan to run.
isn't the furnace the same as aqua hot? on mine, the t-stat has an entry "furnace", referring to hurricane (a variance of aqua hot). if i select furnace, hurricane will kick in to render hot air to living area and wet bay.

maybe yours is different?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
isn't the furnace the same as aqua hot? on mine, the t-stat has an entry "furnace", referring to hurricane (a variance of aqua hot). if i select furnace, hurricane will kick in to render hot air to living area and wet bay.

maybe yours is different?
I think your correct. Aqua Hot provides the heated water to the furnace (heat exchanger) and various blowers pump hot air into the RV. This is a sophisticated system with a few extra electronic sensors on it which of course can prevent it from operating.
I don't think Aqua hot systems have back up from a gas furnace but may have an electric heater in the system somewhere.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixerCQI View Post
I think your correct. Aqua Hot provides the heated water to the furnace (heat exchanger) and various blowers pump hot air into the RV. This is a sophisticated system with a few extra electronic sensors on it which of course can prevent it from operating.
I don't think Aqua hot systems have back up from a gas furnace but may have an electric heater in the system somewhere.
When I turned the thermostat to "Furnace" I got nuttin! The Aqua Hot was up and running and cycling, I just couldn't get the furnace fan to run! That's when I tried the roof heat pump but only got the rear to work! And then there was the floor heat I wish the controls for that was a simple "On" "Off" "Temp Setting" instead of feeling like I need a computer science background to operate it!

I've lived in California for the past 60 years so I don't use heating systems very much

Tags
heat, roof