RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #1

Roof is "chalky"

On my 2007 CC tribute the top white layer of the roof is chalky. I have what CC describes as a "one-piece laminated fiberglass roof". When it rains the chalky stuff makes streaks down the sides and looks horrible. I was wondering is anyone has this problem and what product can you use to "condition" the roof? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jmiller1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #2

I have the same problem, but here is the fix. I have order ever thing ready for a spring job
2 stroker

Protecting Your RV's Roof - RV Roof Coating

Popular Common Problems / Posted 2 years ago / 3234 views

Protecting Your RV’s Roof
Over time the gel coated fiberglass roof on your RV can become stained with dirt, mold and other contaminants. You will also notice white streaks showing up on the radius where the roof ties to the sides of your coach. The streaks are actually gel coat particles that are sluffing off from sun exposure damage and it is a process that will continue to erode the fiberglass protective layer which can be depleted in time. Cleaning the roof with one of the many cleaning product available will temporarily alleviate the cosmetic streak problem for about a year or so and then the streaking will re-appear with the gel coat’s continued exposure to the elements. Your roof can also develop cracks that, if left untreated, can result in leaks if the gel coat erosion is severe. Protecting your roof really means protecting the factory gel coat with yet another coating.
There are a number of roof coatings on the market, both do it yourself (DIY) and professionally installed products. This article will focus on a DIY approach.
One key to roof maintenance is not to ignore the roof too long. “Out of sight, out of mind” applies here. When you start seeing the white “chalking” lines on the roof radius, you may want to consider a roof treatment. Left unattended the chalking will get worse over time and detract from the looks of your otherwise spotless RV.
A roof coating procedure developed by a BAC member and used by a number of others, including the author, has shown itself to be successful and durable over time. This application is appropriate for roofs that do not exhibit significant cracks in the surface. For severely cracked roofs, other solutions are available and will be addressed later in the article.
Rustoleum Marine Top Side Deck Paint was developed for use in the marine industry. It provides a glossy surface that is very resistant to UV effects and is not slippery even when wet. It is available at some Lowes and Ace stores and on Amazon. 2-3 quarts are normally sufficient to complete a 2 coat application of a 40-45’ RV roof. In addition to its non-slip attribute, it sheds dirt and debris easily, avoiding a buildup over time, The author has been pleased by the relative cleanliness of his roof following trips of 2 months or more. An additive is available that will increase the roughness of the surface. However, as you add roughness, you provide a surface that will tend to trap dirt and debris. The as applied surface of the paint is not slippery, even when wet, so the author sees no need for any additive.
Materials Needed:
Surface Preparation:
Determine if you need to remove any of items on the roof; ACs, solar panels, etc. Normally this should not be needed given those areas receive literally no sun damage. A thorough cleaning with a pressure washer should suffice. Inspect the condition of the Dicor sealant used to seal around the roof items. If there are significant cracks you should consider adding another coat of self-leveling Dicor to these areas. Pressure wash the roof with Simple Green to remove the dirt. When dry, lightly scrub the roof with 3M Red Scotchbrite scuff pads. These are available on Amazon, auto paint stores, and some home improvement stores. This will slightly roughen the surface to promote better paint adhesion. Next wash the roof with an automotive wax and tar/grease cleaning solvent available at Walmart, Home Depot, etc. Use plenty of rags. Keep exchanging for a new cloth surface as you wipe areas of the roof down. The intent is to remove surface waxes or oils so the paint will have adequate adhesion. Once the roof is dry, tape the edges where the roof joins the painted areas. Apply the masking tape (2” recommended) so a slight amount of the painted surface is visible. This will enable the roof paint to “seal” the edge of the RV paint’s clear coat and help prevent it from peeling. Also consider taping off roof items like the ACs to protect them from possible over-paint.
The complete prep takes 3-4 hours.
Application:
Apply the paint using 6” rollers available from any paint/home improvement store. Smaller diameter rollers work better around the air conditioner edges and other obstacles. Painting the Dicor sealant around the various roof structures will protect it from UV effects. Use a brush when necessary to cover the Dicor and to get under the edges of structures like ACs and solar panels. The paint is oil based so allow it to dry overnight before applying a second coat. The first coat will appear somewhat rough but the second coat will dry smooth. For added protection you may apply a 3rd coat but 2 coats will normally provide the needed protection and durability.
Other Coatings:
Members have also used Dicor and Rhino Liner products with success. The advantage of these products over a marine deck paint is that they can fill in roof cracks to better prevent leaks over time. However, products like Rhino Liner with a rough surface tend to trap more dirt. Both products will prevent chalking,

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #3

i cleaned mine with a scotch brite and bath cleaner rinsed and when dry gave 4 or five coats of zep commercial floor wax.
End of story for white streaks and chalk.
Do a search for zepp
Only took an afternoon and the wifes mop.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Thanks everyone for your excellent advice. Gotta get my but in gear and get 'er done!
Old 12-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller1066 View Post
On my 2007 CC tribute the top white layer of the roof is chalky. I have what CC describes as a "one-piece laminated fiberglass roof". When it rains the chalky stuff makes streaks down the sides and looks horrible. I was wondering is anyone has this problem and what product can you use to "condition" the roof? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Country Coach recommended applying Formula 303 UV protection to the gelcoated roof, so I do.

Once a year does it for me here in Sunny California.

Takes about 20 minutes once the roof has been cleaned.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Country Coach recommended applying Formula 303 UV protection to the gelcoated roof, so I do.

Once a year does it for me here in Sunny California.

Takes about 20 minutes once the roof has been cleaned.
X2

That's what our Country Coach owner's manual recommends. Following the directions on the 303 bottle takes me a little longer than 20 minutes, but then I"m old and slow.

In any case, it works and we have no streaks down the sides.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2018 GMC Acadia
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

Get a bucket of water and some Bar Keepers Friend fiberglass cleaner. Sprinkle a little bit in a roughly 3’ by 3’ area, then wipe down with a wet rag. After all the chalk is removed then follow up with 303.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #8

Scrubbed mine down with a brush and cleaner and then hit it with 303. Looks like almost new. No more white steaks.
mark103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:12 AM   #9

Thanks again everyone for your input. I think I will try the 303 route (happen to have 2 full bottles in my garage) and go from there.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #10

Something to try

I have found this to be durable and comparatively low cost to restore fiberglass to prevent chalking. I can only describe it as adding a layer of plastic to seal up the roof. I am sure they have more of a scientific description. Last coach roof (40 ft) took about 1/2 quart. with "like new" results.
https://www.wipenew.com/wipe-new-marine/
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:07 PM   #11

For an easy fix, wash the roof and apply several coats of Zep Heavy Duty floor wax. Did mine last year and no more white streaks. Only down side is you have to do it probably every year

Mike

mlgunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof