Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Roof Material

I have a 2007 Country Coach Allure 470, 37 foot. I was wondering what is the composition of the roof. Is it fiberglass or EPDM (Rubber). Also, What Type of Chalking do I use to seal up minor cracks in old chalking that is up there?
Thank You
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You have a fiberglass roof. Remove all the old caulking and re-caulk with a self leveling caulk such as dicor. Getting the old off is hard, but you'll save a lot of grief if you do a good job. I used a plastic bondo spreader to scrape it off without damaging the rubber roof on my 5th wheel.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have several options to reseal things on your roof. Pay special attention to that skylight over the shower..... it can look good but still leak (ask me how I know ).

Dicor self leveling sealant is popular. Clean alway what is there and re apply the new stuff.

Geocel ProFlex clear brush on sealant is another good choice. Clean the area and just brush on a good coat of it. It is good stuff and seals well.

If you want a permanent seal (it can be removed if you need to replace something but it is not easy) use Eternabond tape. Clean the area well as directed, apply the tape (I use a wallpaper seam roller to roll it after application). It will stick to any existing sealant other than silicone so you don't have to scrape away the existing sealant. The 4" tape will overlap well enough to seal well.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

Barmcd and Smlranger, Thank You for responding. I have heard of Dicor self leveling sealant and Eternabond tape, but never heard of Geocel ProFlex. It sounds easier to use. Looks like I will need to google it to get more info.
I will pay more attention to the Skylight over the shower and I won't ask how you know this.
Smlranger, we seem to have the same paint scheme on our rigs. Is yours a 37 or 40 ft? The only reason I ask is how your cummins is 425 hp and mine is a 400 hp????
Thank You and enjoy your ride.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Barmcd and Smlranger, Thank You for responding. I have heard of Dicor self leveling sealant and Eternabond tape, but never heard of Geocel ProFlex. It sounds easier to use. Looks like I will need to google it to get more info.
I will pay more attention to the Skylight over the shower and I won't ask how you know this.
Smlranger, we seem to have the same paint scheme on our rigs. Is yours a 37 or 40 ft? The only reason I ask is how your cummins is 425 hp and mine is a 400 hp????
You can get a quart of the ProFlex clear sealant at Camping World. ProFlex also comes in caulking tubes in clear, white, almond colors. The brush on clear is ideal for roof sealing. Also, the seams at the tops of the slide rooms is a good place for the brush on ProFlex.

I had sealed all my roof vents with eternabond right after getting the coach in 2013. I ran out of the tape and just never got around to getting another roll so I used some Dicor to touch up a couple of suspicious spots on the skylight. Both me and DW developed some health issues that got me sidetracked and I never got around to doing the ebond on the skylight. Two weeks ago I discovered a bulge in the ceiling vinyl near the skylight. Pulled the inner skylight liner and there was evidence of a long term leak. Unfortunately, CC used MDF in the ceiling and it was a wet mess. I have pulled out all the soggy MDF and will be doing some major repair when we get home from our current 3 month trip. For now, I resealed the skylight with the clear ProFlex and it does not leak.

My coach is 42' and the color scheme was called Petra. Harvest gold and a deep burgundy with gray accent.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
I am also a 2007 and 400ISL. I suspect a later in the year model may have a 425 with the emissions controls (Diesel Particulate Filter; DPF), vs our 400 with no DPF? EPA emissions changed for Jan 1, 2007 however a number of manufacturers had surplus stock for pre-emissions engines, and changed mid year with the newer engines meeting 2007 emissions, which I understand the ISL went to 425 with emissions....

Hope this helps,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our '02 DSDP with BriteTek roof I used Dicor self leveling. Never did anything but remove the loose stuff if any and clean the surface, then applied the new right over the old. Never had a problem with leaks either, and the new over old worked just fine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #8

Get a roll of eternabond tape, some nitrile gloves, a quart of acetone, some cheap paintbrushes, a putty knife, a screen replacement tool (little tool with a roller at each end for inserting the rubber tubing on a window screen and wire brush.

Watch some utube videos...

Scrape the existing sealer off where it is flowing across roof and what is gooped on top of things but do NOT try for anything in any seams.

Use putty knife and wire brush to get off as much as you can.

Pour some acetone in an old coffee can and with a brush scrip where you just cleaned up and wipe clean while damp.

Be sure outside and do not smoke while doing.

Only pour a little acetone as it evaporates fast.

When clean apply tape per instructions and videos then with the screen tool burnish in by rolling along the actual seam pushing tape into seam then every inch to insure good bond.

Some suggest dicor along windward edge as well.

Tags
roof