Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #1

Samsung RF-18 Install

Well, I finally got the Samsung RF-18 installed. Removing the old Dometic was not too bad and the guys from Lowes brought the new one in the door with not to much problem.
The guys from Lowes used appliance lifting straps to move the unit in. It was so slick I bought a set off Amazon and it made moving the fridge into the wall a simple operation.
I closed off the old side wall vent and the roof vents before installing and put in blocking stops in the back.
I machined a couple of steel angle mounts for the leveling feet to be bolted to and them machined some special blocks out of Nylon to capture the front for side to side and front to back motion. It is very secure. Pretty happy with the install. still need to made a wood trim for the base.
Also I did go ahead and install a Xantrex Prowatt SW 1000 as a dedicated power source when on batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4234.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	250548   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4229.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	250549  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4222.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	250550   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4230.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	250551  

Serial #10378
Metalbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 04:28 PM   #2

Thanks for the pictures and the install instructions....I will have to replace mine sometime in the near future. If only I had the talent and tools to make the brackets and stuff...How did you close off the vent and sidewall opening?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

Very well done. You will love it. Totally changes the RVing dynamic.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Thanks for the pictures and the install instructions....I will have to replace mine sometime in the near future. If only I had the talent and tools to make the brackets and stuff...How did you close off the vent and sidewall opening?
I bought sheet foil backed insolation for the side vent opening, I also blocked of the openings in the vent cover with aluminum duct tape on the inside. I applied aluminum tape to the screen on the roof vent and then installed sheet insolation multiple sections in the roof vent, then used some spray foam to seal gaps. I also cut some furring strips and screwed them in to hold the insolation from working loose.
Serial #10378
Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #5
TR4

Glad to hear your Xantrex Prowatt SW 1000 worked out for you. I ordered the same one for my install along with their transfer switch. The first inverter came DOA. The second inverter kept tripping the GFI, even tough the Fridge worked on the GFI in the house. I finally ordered the Xantrex Freedom X 1000 with the built in transfer switch and it’s been working great. It’s a little more expensive, but it has wider operating parameters. I’m loving my new Samsung.

Bill
Old 06-20-2019, 09:57 PM   #6

One thing you should do before installing your new frig, remove some of the screws to the back panel just in case you have to clean the drain tubes. My Samsung 197 after 5 years, a hold down screw rubbed a pin hole into the water evaporator tray. What a job removing just 1 screw to flip up the cover. Had water running on the floor before I could stop it. Filled hole with silicone on the inside of pan.
2 stroker Click image for larger version

Name:	20181017_171103.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	250578
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Glad to hear your Xantrex Prowatt SW 1000 worked out for you. I ordered the same one for my install along with their transfer switch. The first inverter came DOA. The second inverter kept tripping the GFI, even tough the Fridge worked on the GFI in the house. I finally ordered the Xantrex Freedom X 1000 with the built in transfer switch and it’s been working great. It’s a little more expensive, but it has wider operating parameters. I’m loving my new Samsung.

Bill
Well Bill, I guess I should have talked to you first. I ran a test today running on the Xantrex for a few hours, had only test ran in on install. Mine is also tripping the GFCI on the Prowatt 1000. I thought I had pretty well researched that the Prowatt 1000 worked well. but it seems like the start of the compressor is too much for it.
Now I need to decide what to do next. I went with the Xantrex to have a low draw idle for that circuit. Now I am wondering if I should just move forward with the upgrade of my Freedom 20D to a magnum 2812 and install a small sub-panel for inverter loads. the Freedom 20D has the AC circuits wire direct to the inverter, no sub panel.
Serial #10378
Old 06-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #8

If research the MS2812, take a look at the MSH3012 series. As luck would have it, Magnum came out with it about 4-5 months after I went with the MS2812. The feature I like with the MSH, is you can augment lower power with your battery bank. Say you're at a 30A service, and want to run both AC units for awhile, the battery bank can make up the juice for both (Or three) AC's to run. Or if you're on a 15/20A outlet, you can also bump that up with the battery bank. And for those who are paying for power and also have solar, you can augment usage with the battery bank, and have the solar help defer the costs of the monthly electric bill...

May not be important to you, but last I looked it was not a great difference in the price points between the units.

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Very nice! I had an RF18 put into my Bounder in place of a Dometic about a year ago and am thrilled with it. Xantrax inverter, too.

Wiring it up to the breaker panel so that it all works just like a factory system was a big job (the majority of the labor) because my batteries are under the step but the breaker panel is at the top of the wall in the bedroom, on the other side of the coach. It was worth it, though. The Samsung and Sumo Springs are unquestionably the two best upgrades I've done.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #10

Just installed a residential fridge, went with a GE GIE18GSHSS, a little smaller needed to make sure it got though the door still 17.5 cu ft is a nice size. There is also a spacing spec which I think many people ignore. The fridge looses its heat from the the side panels and you need 2 in on each side. Never put insulation on the sides and cap off roof and outer wall vents.

I put a clamp tester on the power cord and it records the max current. Surprise, It shows a 13.5 amp start up. The reason why a dedicated 15 amp circuit is required. Too much for a 1000 watt inverter. Not all inverters can handle a 1620 watt surge and even if they say they do why push it, buy a larger inverter if your doing the dedicated thing.

So I am sticking with the 2000 watt Magnum.

I did have to rewire the breaker box as the fridge breaker was on the AC side of the panel. The panel is split so the inverter will not power the AC, water heater etc. I figure the highest draw would be a coffer maker or microwave and fridge turn on at the same time about 2600 watts. A 5 second surge ratting is 3700 watts.

I was very happy to see it draw just 83 watts when running. More for the ice maker when running. Sticker says 6.5 amps @120vac.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Samsung 18

I had the Samsung 18 installed in fall of 2018. I had the Xantrex Freedom SW Series 3000 watt inverter/charger installed. With the Xantrex System Control Panel/SCP
We boondock a lot on the Outer Banks, so I wanted to make sure my batteries didn't die on me. So far I've had no problems.
shamrock481 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install